Mexican Trucks not needed on U.S. Roads

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Here is the Hot Line to the White House,

PLEASE CALL tell them about the Training these drivers have down there in Mexico, Insurance, Back ground checks, Driving Records.

Let Mr. Busch know how you feel.

202 456 1414

The more calls well. It is your future ya gona leave it up to just me?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I could call that number, but, i'm not sure what i'd say to whom answered the call. I'm not well versed on those subjects. So I probably won't call. My $.02 on the subject follow tho.

Training: I'm tinking that the roads these folks have years experience driving on, by far out equips them in the skill arena as compared to the two week wonders we have in this country, and for that matter, many others reading this. How many freshly minted CDL's do you see in our nitch alone? I've seen a few I wouldn't let drive my Grandson's battery powered Gator. We had one ask recently, "how do you start the fuel pump at the truck stop"? Scares me!

Insurance: I cannot imagine any insurance company insuring a Mexican Carrier being any more devious than a company that insures our trucks in methods to screw someone out of something.

Background Checks: Are only as good as the effort extended to secure them, no matter which side of the border you are on.

Driving Records: Same as above, however, i'd anticipate that those fellas know the value of a buck. I'll submit that we won't see any/many running down the road at 70 blowing that money up the stack. I'm convinced those drivers have had that explained to them in depth, and, is etched in their memory. Unlike our counterparts that it seems to have bounced off their skulls.

THE BIGGIE
Percieved cheap freight: IF, this happens, we won't have to continue to read complaints about load offers. There won't be any.

klippencott

Expert Expediter
Hi x06col,
It has been a while since I posted. How are you?

I wonder if you have been down to border lately? (Laredo, Eagle Pass, Los Indios, El Paso or Nogales)

I have a real problem with the trucks coming across right now. Many of them are bailing wired together. The tires are wore out and many are blowing smoke out the stack. Whatever you do don't get in their way they will tailgate, pass you and pull back in so fast and try to run you off the road.

Another issue that is really bugging me is that the big 3 require us (American Expediters) to adhere to the 10 year age limit on our trucks while all of the trucks I've seen coming across the border lately are 80 models.

Recently I had one of my trucks stopped at the Saturn gate cause the guard thought the truck was over 10 yrs but it was not.

Even the NLM contract now states that we can't use vehicles over 10 yrs old but the Mexicans can. How is that fair?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I doubt if phone calls/letters etc will help unless there are a zillion of them. Most politians can't read anyway. If they can they are too drunk or drugged most of the time to read what mail they get. Only action will work. There are two groups of people in this country that hold the REAL power. Truckers and gun owners. Truckers can control the economy. It is that simple. If we stop, the economy stops. It is up to us. There are only two kinds of people in the world, those who make things happen and those who let things happen to them. Layoutshooter

mamaouzbier

Seasoned Expediter
HI
I WAS WONDERING IF YOU HAVE AN EMIAL ADDRESS WE COULD SEND OUR COMMENTS TO INSTEAD OF A PHONE NUMBER, SOME OF US WOULD SEND AN EMAIL BEFORE WE WOULD CALL. THAT WOULD BE APPRICATED VERY MUCH.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You would probably get better results by e-mailing the senators and congressmen from your state. Their contact information can be found at the following websites:

www.senate.gov

www.house.gov

Unless you have a senator that's coming up for re-election in 2008, you're more apt to get the attention of House members since they have to run every two years. The more they hear from their voters about this Mexican issue, the more likely they are to take corrective action.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
the more I read about guys talking about truckers being able to set the economy,yes we can,JUST RUN LEGAL,speed limits,hos.if the freight isnt there something will be done.fuel almost to record highs again,by slowing down,you will use less fuel,truck stops will have to lower prices to get rid of fuel

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
Do you read all your e-mails? You cannot possibly believe that they read a significant portion of the e-mails they receive.

You would have as much response e-mailing the man in the moon, by the way , do you have his e-mail address? ;)

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Hey x06col you've probably hit most of it on the head.

Unfortunately the NAFTA agreement allows for their trucks to come north and US carriers to go south. Since the gov't has finally decided to get on with the trucking part of the agreement you are now faced with them coming in. Remember your gov't has stated they are going to checkout each company allowed to run stateside and they must meet the US trucking regs (and we know the gov't does what it says and don't lie to us).

Re cheap freight.... well expect some of the Mexican companies to definitely offer lower rates to Mexico. Some will see what American Expeditors and haulers make and know that they can do the same job for less and take a portion of the loads from US carriers. Note that they will of course charge USD for these loads both going and coming and possiibly by pass some taxation laws thereby making themselves more attractive.

Don't beleive that?? Well that happened in canada with some importers using US carriers to bring in their freight as they don't pay GST on the freight charges where as using a canuck company they do pay the 6% GST. That tax savings can be quite significant if they import/export every couple of weeks.

Where I am we have had a huge hit in some trucking areas by foreigners who buy older equipment and bid on work at lower prices making it hard for the rest of the guys to make a living. It isn't until large cost repairs hit these guys that they look at raising prices (but still far below realistic rates).

Rob

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Every time I've sent an e-mail to a Senator or Congressman I've gotten a response. No they don't read their e-mails - they've got staffers to do that, and the staffers keep track of their e-mails and whether or not they are pro or con on an issue.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
While In Washington this week, I stopped by my representative’s office to take the time to voice my opinion on a couple issues.

I was not surprised that neither of them were in (I only went to one Senator – Levin) but actually greeted by their staff in a nice manner. In both offices, they took my name and information, and surprisingly took notes of my concerns to pass on to senior staffers. I even got a couple press releases on one subject and was told I would get a follow up email.