memorable roads

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Outside of Breckinridge, CO area, going towards Fairplay, CO... I was driving an 18 wheeler and could not go thru the tunnel (due to snow concerns) and pass was closed for "avalanche reduction". so... had to take backroads to Denver. I took a couple turns that were so tight I saw the back end of the trailer from the drivers seat... with just a turn of my head!!

Another? with the bus... The bridge to Orleans Island in Quebec... it's so narrow you had to point your mirrors down to see the white line and the side of the bridge curb.

with a truck... Going towards Salt Lake one nite out of Boise, had no traffic in either direction due to snow... as long as I had traction I was rollin... and I'm still that way. Slow and roll. Went thru 4 containers of de-icer/washer fluid that night. When I got to Salt Lake J bird you could not even see the landing gear of the trailer (any part of it) due to snow and ice build up. I slept 14 hours there- after I took a long well earned HOT Shower and my blood pressure returned to a measurable level.

Then there was the time going up to WI one night in the truck thru a thunderstorm... or at least I'd like to think that's all it was... the lightning was so intense I turned off the lights at one point and drove for nearly a mile because the sky was so lit up.

In west TX in the bus... in the summer, the AC went out on a private coach- I never cursed a bus out so much in all my life. I actually stopped at one point and got out and kicked the bus repeatedly! (it had failed 2 other times before TX)... and this was on a national tour with a band. One of the guys came out and pulled me back and told me they knew it wasn't my fault. I think they had pitty on me. We laughed about it later... but it was no fun at the time- that's the only time in 12 years now runnin' busses that I've ever driven in my boxers!! I had every window and vent open on that bus that would open.

How about the time I backed up the side of a mountain 'cause I was told the road was a frontage road... Wrong! It was a service road- with a dead end to a closed and locked metal gate to the forest! Well, it was a service road I suppose, to a bed and breakfast home that was up a steep gravel road- that was not passable witha 45 foot coach!! So, I backed up... 5 (yes, five!) Miles... in the pouring rain! The entire time it rained.

Memorable roads? Does the Michelin Tires Test Track with a tour bus count? test track driver of over 20 years told me to let go of the wheel (with a loaded bus!!) on their "No Steer" Curve... I looked at him like he was the village idiot! He said if I steer I will lose it. He also said "Do not go below 35 or we WILL Roll Over on our side" And "Do not go over 40 or we could flip over the edge of the banked curve".
I did as I was told but was ready... He was right!!! The bus rode that banked curve at about 37 MPH and held steady- with no hands on the wheel!! I got a round of applause for that!!! But I really wanted clean underwear. Ha!!

How about the Homestead, FL Nascar Track... at 65 MPH on the apron, with Formula One carS going by me at Full Speed??!!

BigBusBob

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
There is text missing on my above post? is it a technical issue or do I need to repost? hoping it's just a temporary glitch.

cannedmeat27

Expert Expediter
i agree the alaska highway is pretty to run i got to run that on jan6-10 on the way back we took the highway that went south out of watson lake,yk that a nice drive

tbcabs

Seasoned Expediter
I think the most memorable road that I have ever taken was U.S. 95 from Las Vegas to Reno. If you have the time you can stop in all the old silver mining towns and look around. I got to see how they had made building walls out of old bottles. It was an awesome look at the way things were built in the old days.:D

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
'Tude, your photos are, as always, breathtaking. [The second one in the Dragoon Mtns post is just gorgeous!]
Cynthia doesn't seem too thrilled with the 'kisses', lol, but what a great experience it must have been, nonetheless. :)

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
rte 2 in n dakota from minot to the montana border. then south thru the grasslands national pasture.

us 1 along the nor cali coast thru bodega bay..

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
There's a portion of US 54 between El Paso and Santa Rosa that's nothing but hundreds of acres of scrub brush. Last time I went through there, it was dark, so I didn't get to see that, but I saw deer crossing signs. I thought, "I've never seen any deer along here." 1/4 mile down the road, there was one on the shoulder just a few yards from the truck. "Only one I've ever seen here. Probably won't see any more." A mile later, there was the herd.

God, I hate deer. I wish Noah had spared the mosquitoes and unicorns and left the deer to drown.

twe2011

Seasoned Expediter
aefdf36d-f2fa-a4bc.jpg
I I-10 New Mexico going to LA...nothing but sand storms and catus that look like ghost of people...creepy.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Last edited:

Dabus1952

Seasoned Expediter
I guess my favorite was driving thru the Smokey Mountains or the back roads in Black hills S.D .Of course the mountains off I80 in Penn. are beautiful.Then you cant rule out upstate N.Y .Or Hoover damm in Nevada.By the way the pictures that were posted are all beautiful. The best things in life are free, just open your eyes and enjoy natures beauty.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
It's interesting how we can look at the same scenes out of the windsheild and find beauty in different things. I find I don't see certain things people consider scenic in the northeast most likely because I grew up in upstate NY in the Adirondacks but find the city skylines of New York, Wheeling, St. Louis, and Indianapolis to be amazing or the views along US 59 in Texas.