Mass Turnpike Parking Ripoff

nobb4u

Expert Expediter

I got a parking ticket at 0040 on July 22, 2009 in a Mass Pike service area. I received this ticket in the mail about 5 days later and was totally dumbfounded and here is the reason why:
There have been many nights spent in those service areas and I am always very grateful for that small piece of land to plant myself for the evening. Many of those nights I occupied a place that, had I received a ticket I would not have been surprised (in the area by the gas pumps, double-ended with another truck, in the car parking area and also in the bus parking area). But I remember this evening very well because I started out double-ended and then the guy next to me moved and I got my very own LEGAL piece of land to call mine for the night. So you can imagine my total shock at receiving this little letter from the State of Mass.

On this evening I saw the trooper outside looking at trucks I assumed he was writing tickets for idling never paid it any attention as I didn't even have my generator running that night.

Now here is the rip-off how many of you have parked in one of the service areas on the Mass Pike and NOT used chock blocks when you did so? I would imagine there are actually those of you (not saying very many but some) who may not even know what a chock block is or what it is used for. Well there are signs along with the idling signs that say all trucks must be chocked and after all it is just a $15.00 fine and you are guilty so how much revenue do you think they can make in a night with 2 officers writing tickets.

So maybe it is not a rip-off but the chock block law is so outdated it goes back prior to airbrakes. So you pay the money, they generate revenue and I got a parking place for the night.

And I know this is not as interesting a the Moderator
Controversy. SORRY

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've only been to MA once and that was enough to last me if I never get back. The only thing I did like about it was the machine that gave you a nickel for every aluminum can you put into it. As many sodas as I go through that can buy lunch.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
it is interesting..we can pick on moderators any old time...enforcing an antiquated law...nice...Mass. must be hurting for bucks....always the workin person pays...darn Democrats...:rolleyes:

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
Actually this is probably just a start as to how Obama is going to pay for our new health care plan....:)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm reminded of the phrase "chock full of nuts". It doesn't apply but comes to mind.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Lets say you chocked the truck ,
think the chock will be there in the morning ?

do the right thing ,
Fax the ticket to O.O.I.D.A ...

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
Guy next to you might have it. Actually there is nothing that could be done about it I was guilty those signs are very large. Just because you disagree with a law, it is still the law.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Unbelievable! Inconceivable!

Do you think this would be a ticket worth fighting? I agree that the chock you might use would probably be gone the next morning. What a ripoff!!

Sorry this happened to you. You don't deserve this treatment!!

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Good on ya for pointing that out, OVM. And as a reminder, that plan was signed into law by a ...........wait for it.............

a Republican.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good on ya for pointing that out, OVM. And as a reminder, that plan was signed into law by a ...........wait for it.............

a Republican.

*LOL* goes so show ya ya can't tell them apart now unless they wear a name tag....:rolleyes:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Park your truck, chock the wheels, take a picture, print it out, send it in with the unpaid ticket showing that you did, in fact, have your wheels chocked.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I don't remember the location but Diane and I once showered at a truck stop where a big rig had recently rolled through the front window and into the store. It seemed the driver parked on near-level ground and left the truck without remembering to set his brakes.

A gust of wind or something else acted on the truck just enough to get it rolling down the ever-so-slight grade. The distance between the parked truck and the store was long enough for the truck to pick up enough momentum to make it half way into the store before it stopped.

Wheel chocks, schmeel chocks. Who needs 'em?

(By the way, we carry two and actually use them every once in a while.)

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Ateam that reminds me of back when I worked for Cochrane. All us route drivers used to meet at a doughnut shop for coffee after loading. One morning Danny was at the counter chatting up the girl and he was talking about his truck and turned around and said "See my truck loves me it's coming to get me!" It came through the front window throwing glass, tables, chairs everywhere. Of course the rest of us took off and left him there.
Rob

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Nobb: it's probably too late for you to take the Shelled One's excellent advice, but thanks for posting the heads up for those of us who have yet to encounter the situation.
Maybe write a "rocks" complaint for Landline?:confused:
Might get some attention, but will make you feel less powerless, at least.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
ma has had that law on the books for a very long time
i got out of my western star and a trooper was looking at me as i was getting out of the truck and openen side door on sleeper pulled out tire chalks and also had genset running to

paid vacationer

Seasoned Expediter
I don't remember the location but Diane and I once showered at a truck stop where a big rig had recently rolled through the front window and into the store. It seemed the driver parked on near-level ground and left the truck without remembering to set his brakes.

A gust of wind or something else acted on the truck just enough to get it rolling down the ever-so-slight grade. The distance between the parked truck and the store was long enough for the truck to pick up enough momentum to make it half way into the store before it stopped.

Wheel chocks, schmeel chocks. Who needs 'em?

(By the way, we carry two and actually use them every once in a while.)

Just one more reason to dislike going to that region as a whole... as if i needed any more reasons. Seriously considering leaving the whole northeast off my card next time. If cost of doing business keeps rising and rates stay low, plus taxes go up.... it might be the last time i renew. Truck's paid for but i still won't work for free and I can promise you i won't be buying chocks. Terrible story about the runaway truck, but just how rare is that sort of thing ? I'm just guessing, but i bet it's rare. Besides, where did this driver find flat ground.... i never seem to be able to.

Last edited: