Marco Rubio steps in it.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Read what I wrote in Post #190 - pro-life really isn't pro-life - it's anti-abortion and pro-telling other people what to do. Once you realize that pro-life is actually pro-telling other people what to do, then you'll see that pro-death penalty is along those same lines and isn't morally confusing at all.

My guess would be a large majority of pro life people never attempt to tell others what to do. You can include me in that group.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My guess would be a large majority of pro life people never attempt to tell others what to do. You can include me in that group.
Well, the Pro-Life movement is a social and political movement founded on opposing elective abortion, and supports the legal prohibition of elective abortion. If you are a Pro-Lifer who believes in legislation to outlaw abortion, then you are supporting the attempt to tell others what to do, or more specially, what they can and cannot do. That's what legislation which prohibits something does, especially when it's about half of the people trying to get legislation to prohibit the other half from doing something.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Well, the Pro-Life movement is a social and political movement founded on opposing elective abortion, and supports the legal prohibition of elective abortion. If you are a Pro-Lifer who believes in legislation to outlaw abortion, then you are supporting the attempt to tell others what to do, or more specially, what they can and cannot do. That's what legislation which prohibits something does, especially when it's about half of the people trying to get legislation to prohibit the other half from doing something.
All legislation tells others what to do or not do. It isn't exclusive to the abortion issue.

Reactions: paullud

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't expect anything but the same old tired arguments. That's fine. It's anyone's prerogative to be wrong. It's absolutely anyone's choice of what to do to their own body. Tattoos literally head to toe, piercings all over, elective mastectomies to 100% healthy breasts, whatever. Anything and everything they want to do that doesn't alter or affect the life of any other being. Crossing that line is where the choice is no longer personal choice. Go ahead, run all the same specious arguments. Being wrong is one of the rights guaranteed to you as citizens.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I don't expect anything but the same old tired arguments. That's fine. It's anyone's prerogative to be wrong. It's absolutely anyone's choice of what to do to their own body. Tattoos literally head to toe, piercings all over, elective mastectomies to 100% healthy breasts, whatever. Anything and everything they want to do that doesn't alter or affect the life of any other being. Crossing that line is where the choice is no longer personal choice. Go ahead, run all the same specious arguments. Being wrong is one of the rights guaranteed to you as citizens.

Wrong is the belief that a fetus is a baby, person, "other being", or anything other than a potential human being. Anyone has the prerogative to wrongly believe whatever they like, but they have no right to impose that belief upon anyone else.
It's only a "tired old argument" because of the people who cannot accept that their beliefs don't take precedence over facts. They refuse to stop attempting to impose their beliefs, from shouting at women entering clinics, to filming them and showing it on webcams, calling themselves "sidewalk counselors", setting up "Crisis Pregnancy" clinics that don't offer [or allow discussion of] abortion, and advertising under 'pregnancy terminations', finding sympathetic legislators to pass laws that force closure of clinics that offer abortion along with preventative care for women, and many more deceptive practices.
Here's a clue: when you have to lie about what it is you're doing, it's because it's wrong.

Reactions: Ragman and RLENT

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
There are certain social issues which distinguish the two major parties. Abortion and homosexual marriage being right at the top. The Republican party will not nominate a pro-abortion candidate for vice-president or president. Same goes with a candidate who is friendly to homosexual marriage. These two issues aren't centrist. They are causes favored by the far Left. I remember the mere mention of God being booed at the 2012 Democratic presidential convention.

The Democrats at the national level are mostly secularists. The Republican party still acknowledges its conservative wing as very much a religious contingent. That being the case, the GOP is respectful towards people of faith. The United States is predominantly a Christian nation. It annoys the Left whenever this is brought up. But, it is true. As a largely Christian nation, it is right that at least one major party reflect the values and traditions which have undergirded our country from its founding.
Things (species, organizations, etc.) evolve - or not - to deal with changing conditions ... mostly in order to survive.

Those that don't, become ... extinct ...

... Over the last decade, though, the debate has shifted from one between religious and non-religious Americans to one that primarily pits older, conservative Christians against moderate, progressive, or younger Christians, Jews, and the religiously unaffiliated.

Today, there are religious groups on both sides of the same-sex marriage debate. Public Religion Research Institute’s American Values Atlas—based on 40,000 interviews—shows some striking realignments over the last decade. A number of major religious groups have joined the unaffiliated in supporting same-sex marriage. In addition to the more than three-quarters of the religiously unaffiliated who support same-sex marriage, 84 percent of Buddhists, 77 percent of Jews, approximately six in ten white mainline Protestants (62 percent), white Catholics (61 percent) and Hispanic Catholics (60 percent), and 56 percent of Eastern Orthodox Christians now support allowing gay and lesbian couples to marry legally. ...
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/04/religious-americans-support-gay-marriage/391646/

http://www.freedomtomarry.org/resources/entry/marriage-polling