March locations with banter

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I don't care what others say about whether the Sprinter can handle the weight....I don't do heavy loads 3,000+ and my maintenance records or lack of them, speak volumes...
how much extra income vs repair costs..warrants the heavy loads?

I've read repairs like broken wheel rims? that is unheard of....drive shafts, hanger bearings, wheel bearings, axel seals, excessive brake wear.....600,000 miles and not one related item....

and throw in the related downtime and the misery factor...

Ooops, see the thread "1st 5000 miles". Told ya my head was spinning.lol Dang, wish I had some vicodin left! Lol

Your best bet, hire a vet! Please.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The frame, suspension, brakes, drivetrain, axle and tires are rated from GM at 12,300 gvw, yes that is with the dual rear tires, but GM will tell you the duals are fot stability not load capacity.

The truck scaled at 6750 with just me,,,Load 1 has the 6600 totally empty slip on file that leaves 3450....butdispatch knows to go 4000 lbs...

I just stole my 1st ST load...6 skids 48x45x35...3250 lbs...stacked 2 high 3 deep...and the suspension still in "squatting" yet...the ft end is not "light" at all...just like driving empty.....:D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The frame, suspension, brakes, drivetrain, axle and tires are rated from GM at 12,300 gvw, yes that is with the dual rear tires, but GM will tell you the duals are fot stability not load capacity.

The truck scaled at 6750 with just me,,,Load 1 has the 6600 totally empty slip on file that leaves 3450....butdispatch knows to go 4000 lbs...

I just stole my 1st ST load...6 skids 48x45x35...3250 lbs...stacked 2 high 3 deep...and the suspension still in "squatting" yet...the ft end is not "light" at all...just like driving empty.....:D

that is great to hear....finally the straight is put in its place...*LOL* Go Vans!!

golfournut

Veteran Expediter

Sweet! How was it on roll? A van similar to yours passed me and my wife in I 97 doing about 80. We he came back into the travel lane, it looked a little squirly. Have you felt or noticed that? The Sprinters we have noticed aren't as wobbly.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sweet! How was it on roll? A van similar to yours passed me and my wife in I 97 doing about 80. We he came back into the travel lane, it looked a little squirly. Have you felt or noticed that? The Sprinters we have noticed aren't as wobbly.

you get 3,000 lbs on a sprinter and you'll feel squirrelly and then some....they don't ride well....real mushy/soft...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Golf wrote:

Its not great, but not bad. I am running at 63 mph and I get passed alot. ST's, and TT's when they pass the wind pushes it to the right...It does not :react" to steering input like a van..As hogh as it is and with the high gvw suspension it does "roll"but it will "tilt" over...tires are JUNK..1st they are mixed...rear axle are M&S Bridgestones and the Fts are General Highway...the ft end "squirms around which I hate and the rears "whine" at highway speeds...

But overall its been good, just need more miles to get use to its "straits"...

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Golf wrote:

Its not great, but not bad. I am running at 63 mph and I get passed alot. ST's, and TT's when they pass the wind pushes it to the right...It does not :react" to steering input like a van..As hogh as it is and with the high gvw suspension it does "roll"but it will "tilt" over...tires are JUNK..1st they are mixed...rear axle are M&S Bridgestones and the Fts are General Highway...the ft end "squirms around which I hate and the rears "whine" at highway speeds...

But overall its been good, just need more miles to get use to its "straits"...

Is that loaded or empty or both?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Both...I think "air tabs" will help "eliminate" the areo push off the big trucks. Jack Berry had the same isssue and it stopped when he added them.

As for the tires and the "mix" of hyway and MS...thats GM... since this unit starts life as a "duelie" rear tie app, GM builds the 12,300 gvw chassis with the dual M&S's on the rear....so thats how these are delivered....you can bet when I replace them, all 4 will be Hyway thread and alot better tire then the factory Generals....

Oh, and more to attest to the junk tires on the ft end, I ran in a Down pour rain storm the other day in FLA....this thing "hydro-planed ( is that the way it is spelled) worse then anything I have ever driven...

Last edited:

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Both...I think "air tabs" will help "eliminate" the areo push off the big trucks. Jack Berry had the same isssue and it stopped when he added them.

As for the tires and the "mix" of hyway and MS...thats GM... since this unit starts life as a "duelie" rear tie app, GM builds the 12,300 gvw chassis with the dual M&S's on the rear....so thats how these are delivered....you can bet when I replace them, all 4 will be Hyway thread and alot better tire then the factory Generals....

Oh, and more to attest to the junk tires on the ft end, I ran in a Down pour rain storm the other day in FLA....this thing "hydro-planed ( is that the way it is spelled) worse then anything I have ever driven...

WOW, spooky. Sounds like time is now for the new tires!