March - big money, big money - no whammys!!!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well states could have opposing laws ...??
Kind of like c&c laws
Some do. Regardless of where you are traveling, you are expected to abide by the laws of that state. Some states explicitly have exemptions for out of state vehicles regarding tint laws, other states (like TN) require an officer to prove the tint violates the state of vehicle registration. In a few states, some cops will stop you for dark tints (as probable cause for the stop) and as long as you roll your windows down before the shows up at your side and don't give him any lip for the stop, you won't be cited. Some may cite you knowing you won't go to court and fight it (unless there are additional charges, it's almost always dismissed by a judge in every state).

It's very rare to be pulled over for window tint and then be cited only for window tint. Far more common is to use the window tint as probable cause for the stop, and then find additional charges (suspended or expired license or insurance, drugs, etc.) and then the window tint is just one of the many charges filed. If you're pulled over for dark tint, and you don't do anything else illegal or give the office any lip, you'll be sent on your way with at most a warning.

Probably half the states' tint laws apply to vehicles operated on that state's roads, but rarely enforce it as a sole violation for out-of-state vehicles, probably 15% of the states allow really, really dark tint, anyway, and the rest have the laws written to apply to vehicles "registered in this state."

I've had mine tinted to a pretty dark 35% for 10 years, and have only been stopped once for tint in a state that allows only a really light tint (Iowa, 70%) and could have gotten an equipment citation, but didn't because I didn't give him any lip and was light and cordial with the officer. I've spent a lot of time in states that do not allow any tint at all and have never had a stop or anything said to me about it. I don't worry about it or even think about it. If I were stopped once a month or something, I'd just remove the tint and be done with it.

EDIT: Forum where you read it from the cops themselves
Window Tint Enforcement Action | Officer.com

Last edited:

ysracer

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Some do. Regardless of where you are traveling, you are expected to abide by the laws of that state. Some states explicitly have exemptions for out of state vehicles regarding tint laws, other states (like TN) require an officer to prove the tint violates the state of vehicle registration. In a few states, some cops will stop you for dark tints (as probable cause for the stop) and as long as you roll your windows down before the shows up at your side and don't give him any lip for the stop, you won't be cited. Some may cite you knowing you won't go to court and fight it (unless there are additional charges, it's almost always dismissed by a judge in every state).

It's very rare to be pulled over for window tint and then be cited only for window tint. Far more common is to use the window tint as probable cause for the stop, and then find additional charges (suspended or expired license or insurance, drugs, etc.) and then the window tint is just one of the many charges filed. If you're pulled over for dark tint, and you don't do anything else illegal or give the office any lip, you'll be sent on your way with at most a warning.

Probably half the states' tint laws apply to vehicles operated on that state's roads, but rarely enforce it as a sole violation for out-of-state vehicles, probably 15% of the states allow really, really dark tint, anyway, and the rest have the laws written to apply to vehicles "registered in this state."

I've had mine tinted to a pretty dark 35% for 10 years, and have only been stopped once for tint in a state that allows only a really light tint (Iowa, 70%) and could have gotten an equipment citation, but didn't because I didn't give him any lip and was light and cordial with the officer. I've spent a lot of time in states that do not allow any tint at all and have never had a stop or anything said to me about it. I don't worry about it or even think about it. If I were stopped once a month or something, I'd just remove the tint and be done with it.

EDIT: Forum where you read it from the cops themselves
Window Tint Enforcement Action | Officer.com

Mine is dark, done by previous owner so I don't know %. Also has illegal tint at top of windshield which I duplicated when glass was replaced. And, I also duplicated black band at bottom which is definitely a no go. But those help tremendously when headed west at sunset and, the band at bottom hides GPS, CB, etc.. I've never been stopped or even looked at funny. Well, not because of the tint, anyway...

:connie1:

image.jpeg

Ftransit

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Happy Monday!!! BIS today. Ford ran tests and have ordered some type of recorder to install on Van, that will have to wait a few weeks! Hoping Murray's magic will get us rolling today and keep us rolling until the money starts rolling in, haha!

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Happy Monday!!! BIS today. Ford ran tests and have ordered some type of recorder to install on Van, that will have to wait a few weeks! Hoping Murray's magic will get us rolling today and keep us rolling until the money starts rolling in, haha!
Murray will be a busy little Leprechaun today. Trucks parked all over the map that need to move so he can fill his pot of gold!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good morning gang....dubbed..."Murray's Marauders".....
on the waiting line also....

stock-vector-saint-patrick-s-day-cartoon-elf-gold-coin-pot-illustration-222895903.jpg

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good Morning Fellow CRE Team Mates!!! Waiting as well for the next one South of Indy... Sounds like Murray needs his Lucky Slippers, Magic Wand, Magic 8 Ball, Lucky Rabbits Foot and 4 Leaf Clover... ;)

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
He only needs to get rid of his nasty cold.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
They say mine is a sinus infection. But the drainage at night makes me cough all night. Horrible sleep totals. 3 scripts and 3 OTCs in the works. Hoping to get this thing knocked out soon!!

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Interesting day here. Drive up into the middle of WI for my Booked Monday 08:00 pickup. Shipper said, we told the broker Tuesday! Broker says "opps". They then offered me a fair sum of money to sit until Tuesday and still run the load. But, Murray pulls a high $$$ low miles shorty that's a deliver direct. Booked again, 22 mile DH, picked up, delivered and have plenty of time to get back for the Tuesday pickup. Turned into a great $$$ with low miles kind of day! Love when stuff happens in our favor once in a while.

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Interesting day here. Drive up into the middle of WI for my Booked Monday 08:00 pickup. Shipper said, we told the broker Tuesday! Broker says "opps". They then offered me a fair sum of money to sit until Tuesday and still run the load. But, Murray pulls a high $$$ low miles shorty that's a deliver direct. Booked again, 22 mile DH, picked up, delivered and have plenty of time to get back for the Tuesday pickup. Turned into a great $$$ with low miles kind of day! Love when stuff happens in our favor once in a while.

Janet & I have decided you should change your name to "Lucky Bill" on EO and we should all refer to you that way when we talk to you about anything expediting... ;):cool::):D