March 2017 this and that.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
View attachment 15474 Where's that Iowa guy?
a80d4ad871fd360e65f4d15f5050508d.jpg

hauling freight from a Pond near you

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Have any of y'all drove tanker? If so what's it like? How does it differ from van besides the obvious? I ask because I've Been thinking a lot recently about going giving it a shot. I really wish Averitt had it then I could just switch over to it instead of switching companies

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Have any of y'all drove tanker? If so what's it like? How does it differ from van besides the obvious? I ask because I've Been thinking a lot recently about going giving it a shot. I really wish Averitt had it then I could just switch over to it instead of switching companies

Never have other then water trucks in the military & gravel pit..Nothing like your thinking tho.. I can put you in touch with a recruiter out of Texas that may help steer ya..

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What do find appealing about tanker work? Do you have a tanker endorsement? What about a Hazmat endorsement? A lot of tanker work involves hazmat. Tankers used to haul chemicals usually have compartments or at least baffles which helps prevent liquid surge. Food grade tankers are generally smooth bore, nothing to stop or reduce liquid surge. I've pulled stainless steel food grade tankers, but these were new from the factory. Empty except for the shine.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
What do find appealing about tanker work? Do you have a tanker endorsement? What about a Hazmat endorsement? A lot of tanker work involves hazmat. Tankers used to haul chemicals usually have compartments or at least baffles which helps prevent liquid surge. Food grade tankers are generally smooth bore, nothing to stop or reduce liquid surge. I've pulled stainless steel food grade tankers, but these were new from the factory. Empty except for the shine.

My carrier requires both as we haul tanks of chemicals inside our vans. Tanker seems interesting something dry van is not

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter

My carrier requires both as we haul tanks of chemicals inside our vans. Tanker seems interesting something dry van is not

I don't know if the endorsements are the same, but as long as your just in the shopping mode for now, consider/look at the bulker end of the business also. No slushing liquids and ya just may find one that gets ya home often. Worst ya have to deal with is a loud arse blower motor to unload.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
I don't know if the endorsements are the same, but as long as your just in the shopping mode for now, consider/look at the bulker end of the business also. No slushing liquids and ya just may find one that gets ya home often. Worst ya have to deal with is a loud arse blower motor to unload.

Yeah I looked for dry bulk but it seemed like they were only hiring O/O in my area or wanted 2 years experience hauling bulk. To tell the truth I thought about that before tanker lol. Wouldn't mind trying a conestoga type trailer either except would again have to switch to another company as we only offer regular flatbed

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter

Yeah I looked for dry bulk but it seemed like they were only hiring O/O in my area or wanted 2 years experience hauling bulk. To tell the truth I thought about that before tanker lol. Wouldn't mind trying a conestoga type trailer either except would again have to switch to another company as we only offer regular flatbed

Check Redi-mix plants in your area. They seem to go thru drivers often or did where I worked. Once construction season kicks in full speed jobs may open up. Won't pay like over the road but you will see your house more often.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Check Redi-mix plants in your area. They seem to go thru drivers often or did where I worked. Once construction season kicks in full speed jobs may open up. Won't pay like over the road but you will see your house more often.

Atm I'm between apartments so home is my childhood bedroom at my parents house so that's not a driving factor lol

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I drove tanker for oil field support. It's more about the product then driving truck. Much more involvement with the loading, unloading.

SGAVan1

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator

Whole different world!!! Sloshing, etc BUT no lumpers, docks, etc. If it gets unloaded it has to run out the hose.