March 2016, where are you going ??

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do ya think these tl and ltl companies ie: Schneider, hunt and others like them, having stickers plastered all over their back doors proclaiming "join us .... We pay .48 per mile...has anything to do with these stories?

48 CPM for an employee, who has few expenses beyond food and laundry, isn't a bad deal. Does anyone out there in shipper land realize the expenses an owner-operator has? Furthermore, do they even care? No.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thankfully I am the owner, so it would've been my whole 54¢. Still, when does the bloodletting stop?
we virtually have no control over the bloodletting....someone will always run that load no matter..the mantra "Leave it on the dock" just does not work overall.....
take care of your own business and do what you need to do to make it work...it might even mean cutting hot dogs in half sometimes....as an example....SLOW down..get more MPH and keep more in your pocket...do whatever....failing that...just say goodbye and do something else....

the gravy days are gone....its time to work for a meager living at best...what was history is just that, History, stories of a time of days gone by and won't be back again in all likilhood unless there is a major change even regulated vans won't really help, just look at straight rates to get a clue...they too are in the tank....I doubt you'll see many $50,000 van outfits put on from this point forward at these rates....bring on the rust....
Good news is....I am at a Walmart!!! :p

furthermore...I can say with confidence from what I've seen over the years.....there are CEO's out there with big carriers with thier spreadsheet just waiting for 1 stat to appear.." average income per unit" when it goes UP the recruiting doors will swing wide open again and within a month the roads will be filled with new drivers with carriers fighting for those extra loads! and end result WE O/O's get screwed by over capacity....

Last edited:

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
THE ONLY THINGS THAT SEEM TO REALLY MOVING IS FOOD STUFFS. SO THE COMPANY SHOULD THINK ABOUT HAULING FROZEN HAMS AND TURKEYS THAT ARE IN TRI WALLS. IT WOULD HELP. SET ME UP WITH THOSE LOADS. ILL GO ILL GO!!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
and now with the cheerleading section.....I think we at CRE are doing a bit better overall because of not only our reputation with some brokers and 3PL's also because our dispatch staff has great experience and knows how to squeeze that extra $$$$ from the broker...and not cave in....

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
the gravy days are gone....its time to work for a meager living at best...what was history is just that, History, stories of a time of days gone by and won't be back again in all likilhood unless there is a major change even regulated vans won't really help, just look at straight rates to get a clue...they too are in the tank....I doubt you'll see many $50,000 van outfits put on from this point forward at these rates....bring on the rust....
Good news is....I am at a Walmart!!! :p
Just remember I started with nothing, and look at me now.. I still have most of it! Lol

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe a good sideline would be to start buying up these old rental vans for resale?...find a good source make a contact or two....buy 30-40 at a whack or something for a good price...

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
In Knoxville for the night. Ran my truck thru the wash it needed it badly. I deliver 2 hours away at 8am so I get an early start to my Friday. Except I only have 4 hours to work tomorrow so it'll start and be over before noon. Then back to another 10 to get more hours

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
In Knoxville for the night. Ran my truck thru the wash it needed it badly. I deliver 2 hours away at 8am so I get an early start to my Friday. Except I only have 4 hours to work tomorrow so it'll start and be over before noon. Then back to another 10 to get more hours
Nice, they are keeping you rolling...dispatchers getting to know of you....

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
and now with the cheerleading section.....I think we at CRE are doing a bit better overall because of not only our reputation with some brokers and 3PL's also because our dispatch staff has great experience and knows how to squeeze that extra $$$$ from the broker...and not cave in....
Does Juju have a couple Old Checkered table cloths that she can sew you a cheerleading uniform from ..:p