many happy returns

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
hi everyone
I am poised to return to expediting after four months of working for a small local outfit. My current company gave us the news this morning they will be going out of business in seven days. Not much notice but that's ok. I am eager to return to expediting because it was the most satisfying experience in business for me. I was an owner/op with Panther for seven years and feel a strong loyalty to them. So, I will give them another go. I realize there are strong undercurrents of change taking place in this industry and need some input from you guys. Are Toyota and Nissan still strong accounts w/Panther? Are you seeing more diversity in the customer base? Are you averaging as many weekly or monthly paid miles as last year? Other than the obvious fuel price situation, what are the most interesting changes in this business while I was away?

moose

Veteran Expediter
I'm a newbee , so don't mind me...
i do here :
that Vans are sitting longer,
that Panther is hiring like this is not a reassetion .
that some small fleets are downsizing.
fuel milge is everything , for all classes.
and DH , is a bigger problem .
that teams still having a hard time with the HOS.

what class are you , do you own a truck or are you going to buy one ? (new/used).team ?

nice to know that someone finally saying good thing about the black-cat on EO...
Good luck.
Moose.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Moose, I drove a cargo van as an owner/op with Panther and plan to return around July 1st. I will stay with a van chiefly because of the ease of entry into and out of the industry with an economically priced van. I operate as a solo driver and prefer the Ford E-350 w/diesel engine.
With regards to Panther, I was averaging approx 1200 paid miles per week most of the time. So I need input from you and other Panther drivers: are solo drivers still getting this much work or have things slowed down considerably? What would you say is average fsc in vans? Does Panther still force a swap on pro exceeding 1000 miles? How many cargo vans in Panther's fleet right now? Are there more or less vans w/Panther than 6 months ago? What is the most positive change to occur recently? I invite all expediters to chime in as I want to hear several opinions.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Moose, I drove a cargo van as an owner/op, with an economically priced van. I operate as a solo driver and prefer the Ford E-350 w/diesel engine.

It remind me of a post i sew a few week back (but cant find it today ) ,about the gas engine being more economical this days

With regards to Panther, I was averaging approx 1200 paid miles per week most of the time.
WoW , thats a first ,
Cant beleave someome will be actually happy with 1200 mil. a week ,
thats basically 2 days of work , out off a week out.
can you really make a good income working 2 days a week ???

? What would you say is average fsc in vans?
Panther now have A FSC program,
you might like to look into it.
don't know if it apply to Vans.
??
What is the most positive change to occur recently?
Well , obviously, Getting Moose throw orientation...

as a newbee , St. truck O/O , thats 'bout all the advice can give... follow me , and you night just end up in the Ditch ...
Moose

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
With regards to Panther, I was averaging approx 1200 paid miles per week most of the time. So I need input from you and other Panther drivers: are solo drivers still getting this much work or have things slowed down considerably?
No, not if you know where to be.

What would you say is average fsc in vans?

I'd say about .35

Does Panther still force a swap on pro exceeding 1000 miles?

No, they force it on 900 miles or 16 hours, whichever comes first. They now have vans on a 16 hour duty cycle. Move you van 1 mile and your clock starts (with straights and tractors, they can move up to 30 minutes before their clock starts, tho. Don't get me started on that one.) Once you move your van you must sit still for a minimum of 5 hours before the clock starts.

So, at noon you go down the street a couple of miles to a restaurant, your clock starts. At 4PM you get a load of, say, 700 miles. It's an hour and a half deadhead to go get it, and it's 6PM before you're loaded. At 4AM, 16 hours after your clock started, Safety will require you to take a 5 hour break. The load is gonna swap. Safety uses 55MPH for a van for swap calculations, so at 6PM and 700 miles, that's 13 hours to delivery, 7AM, and you're clock runs out at 4AM.

How many cargo vans in Panther's fleet right now?

I have no idea.

Are there more or less vans w/Panther than 6 months ago?

I have no idea.

What is the most positive change to occur recently?

The new load board redesign to better position the fleet to where the freight comes out of. You'll love it.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Turtle said.."What is the most positive change to occur recently?

The new load board redesign to better position the fleet to where the freight comes out of. You'll love it."

hahaha..come on turtle ...cut the guy some slack and spew the company line how it was created for you the driver in mind for the ease of decision making and improving your bottomline by helping cut down on the DH and improve load prospects....everything the carrier does is for us remember?

hahaha.....

Last edited:

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Turtle, I always enjoy reading your posts. I hope your'e just kidding about the 16 hour clock for vans w/Panther. If it's true, it will be a huge impediment for me to overcome. When I am at home I often run to the store or post office or doing errands in my van. Are you saying if I move around my hometown on my own time that this counts against this 16 hour clock??? If I put myself out-of-service and drive around in my van does that also count against the clock? What if I am deadheading home, does that count? this is very confusing. I will not be held hostage to someone else's dictates. Please clarify this for me. Thanks again.

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
correct me if I am wrong but it was my understanding that transfreight got all the toyota freight and they have carriers that they give it out to ryder,rush,pacer.

now I used to do alot of toyota freight but it was brokerd to me from pacer
global. so really if you think about it most of toyota is double brokered if not more.

but anything is possible what do I know.this industry is constant change.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep...Transfreight is Toyota' primary logistic supplier...everything goes thru them, I've had the odd special order directly from Toyota but that is rare...

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Since I have been away from P2 for less than five months, I am unaware of a 16 hour clock being imposed on solo van drivers. Wouldn't the overall effect be the same as imposing HOS or logging upon the van driver? Is this true? If so, how is it working out for the much maligned soloist?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since I have been away from P2 for less than five months, I am unaware of a 16 hour clock being imposed on solo van drivers. Wouldn't the overall effect be the same as imposing HOS or logging upon the van driver? Is this true? If so, how is it working out for the much maligned soloist?

Since you be gone some carriers have instituted what they call a safety break in long runs so as to cover thier hind side should an overtired driver have a vehicle failure.
But this SB is so flakey and used only to the carriers advantage, IF theres no other van you got it, if theres no Xdock available you got it. If its a friday pick up and Monday Delivery you got it....its a look good, feel good thing for the carrier and a PIA for the drivers....I always thought it was so P2 could spread the loads around during slow periods....

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Now the vans feel the same way the straights and tractors have for a while now. Basicly the carriers don't want anyone making to much money. If you make good money then you want to take vacations and such. If you are paying the bills and just putting a little in your pocket you have to keep your nose to the grindstone.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Thanks Turtle, I always enjoy reading your posts. I hope your'e just kidding about the 16 hour clock for vans w/Panther.

Nope. The only thing I was kidding about was that you'll love the new boards. You won't. :)

"If it's true, it will be a huge impediment for me to overcome."

Might not be as bad as you think.

"When I am at home I often run to the store or post office or doing errands in my van. Are you saying if I move around my hometown on my own time that this counts against this 16 hour clock???"

Yes. Your van must remain motionless for 5 hours before the clock restarts. Just like the straights and big trucks, dispatchers (or at least supervisors, anyway) can now see right on the screen how many hours you have left of the 16.

"If I put myself out-of-service and drive around in my van does that also count against the clock?"

I don't know. My guess would be that it would.

"What if I am deadheading home, does that count?"

If you are deadheading home without your van, probably not. If the van is moving, it's gonna count. :)

"this is very confusing."

It's really pretty simple, tho. Definitely easier than having to deal with logs and all that crap. Basically, they don't want you driving more than 16 hours without a reasonable break, 'cause driving more than 16 hours without a break is (a) stupid, and (b) unsafe for you and everyone on the road. It's also a huge liability for the carrier. If you get into a wreck, someone will go after the deep pockets, and that's Panther.

After a 16 hour day, they require a 5 hour break. That's pretty lenient when you consider the HOS rules that others have to run under. If the timing of the load doesn't allow you to get a 5 hour break, they'll swap it out. But at least now you know the rules going in, and they aren't arbitrary like the used to be. You know up front (or at least have a very good idea) if that 1000 mile run is gonna swap or not, because the rule is anything over 900 miles or 16 hours is gonna swap. The only time it won't swap is when there is enough time built into the load to get a break.

Like the one I'm on right now, picked up in Mobile,AL on Friday afternoon, delivers to Boston, MA on Monday 0500, 1403 miles. Plenty of time for breaks. Had one last week for 1500 miles, but had 40 hours to get it there.

If the load is going to swap, the rule also is that the Swap Desk needs to maximize the miles for both drivers, split it down the middle, if at all possible. If you have a ton of deadhead, keep that in mind, cause on some loads if the split it down the middle, suddenly the deadhead percent isn't worth the loaded miles revenue. Either turn the load down, or ask them to work with you here on making sure your deadhead percentage isn't nuts, that you get enough miles to make it worth taking at all. If they play dumb (redundant, I know) and/or won't work with you, turn the load down, it's not worth the headache.

"I will not be held hostage to someone else's dictates."

Nor will I, and that's my main complaint about how swaps are done now, as it is. They offer a load, with the stated terms and conditions of the load, and I can accept it or reject it on those terms. After the pickup, they change the conditions of the load, something that I cannot do. Not only do they change the loaded miles of the contracted load, they tell me when and where it will swap, effectively putting them in the position of being able to dictate to me when and where to go (for the swap), and you can't do that with an independent contractor. And to add insult to injury, they change the contracted conditions unilaterally without so much as a phone call to explain why they want to make the swap. That's pretty rude, if ya ask me.

The swap itself isn't the issue, as I can do a 900 mile run today and tomorrow, or I can do 500 today and another load for 400 tomorrow. Miles are miles. I don't care. The issue is being treated like an employee instead of being treated as an independent contractor. It's being told what to do and how to do it, like it lump it.

If you want to swap the load, fine, tell me up front so I can make my decision based on actual information. If you don't know for sure where it will swap or about the other driver's availability yet, that's fine, I'll work with you. Just be up front and honest with me about it. Be professional about it.

But, with the rules as they are, on 900 mile loads, if you are offered a 900 mile run with a 50 mile deadhead, you can calculate the 16 hours from the time you move the van, as to when you'll have to take a 5 hour break, and you should be able to know up front if you can take the load, and the break, without swapping it out. Safety uses 55MHP for a van when figuring for a swap. 900 miles divided by 55 is 16 hours, which is how they came up with that one. So, if the delivery time isn't 16 hours plus at least 5 for the break from the time you moved your van (to deadhead to go get it), it'll swap, count on it.

From what I've seen so far, they're being pretty consistent, and fair, with these 900 miles / 16 hour rules. I've had a couple of 900+ mile runs where I was able to deliver it before the 16 hours were up, anyway. It just depends on where it's going, time of day and the routing. Through the midwest at 65 MPH or less, it's difficult, so you're better off swapping it out, anyway. Across I-20 from the Carolinas to Texas, it's pretty easy, as a 900 mile run can be done through there in about 14 hours or so.

Don't make it out to be more of a big deal than it is. Swaps used to be far more arbitrary than they are now. As a result, there are actually fewer swaps. And when you do get swapped, it won't be much of a surprise when it happens.

Still, they'd better give me a call before I get a new load receipt that states I have agreed to the following yada, yada, yada, that not only did I not agree to, but I wasn't even informed of. :mad:

Since they've started these new rules, I've only had one swapped from me. St Louis to Laredo, 1006 miles, they swapped me out in Dallas after 583 miles. I went to bed and the next day I got the second leg of a swap that went to Laredo. Same miles, two different loads. I don't care (except the second load had a FSC that was twice the one they took away from me :) ).

That one never should have been taken away from the other driver, cause it was scheduled for delivery at 10PM at one of the freight forwarders, and they aren't even open after 4:30PM. So not only did I get the load, I got 9 hours of detention on top of it. The first driver could have gotten an extra 8 or 10 hours sleep on that run and would have been fine. He even told them that the place was gonna be closed. But, hey, confirming delivery times are beneath a CSR. They don't have time for such shenanigans. Fine by me, cha-ching.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey Aristotle, I think I got an e-mail that was meant for you because it was all Greek to me. Anyway they wanted me to return to the litter, but I never left.

The last two weeks I have been very busy. Twice this week I have been pre-dispatched on a load while still under the original load. Both original loads brought me very close to the next load. Once within 3 miles.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Mr Moot. Actually I am Kentuckian. Not Greek. But the language barrier persists with my accent and all. Very pleased to hear about your back to back pre-dispatched loads. I am gathering all the encouragement I can before putting my toes back in expediting soon.