Making final decision to start

oldmanrandy

Seasoned Expediter
I am new to trucking, on third career, am considering a used tractor
to haul trailers hook and drop, however, have found out that a rookie
can't just jump in. Insurance,finance etc is tough.
So, a friend has advised me to start small with a straight truck and if my customers need it build up from there.
Generally am looking at 33000#, single axle, 2000 to 2003, 22-24' box,
sleeper, manual shift. this is pretty much the basic area I am in.
By the way I will be getting my own authority and insurance. Company has already be started.
Now if I could get some assistance, or constructive criticism, on all
the other details.
Brand, Freightliner, Sterling, GMC topkick, T300,etc.
Trans 6 7 9 speed, OD ?
Gears 3.21, 3.73, 4.63 ?? (doesn't this determine milage)
Doors or roll-up.
Lift gate or not.
Tag axle or not.
These questions I am having a problem with because I am not sure of
the percentage of loads that require these additions.
Or, how many loads are missed because you have no tag axle,
or could you really save with a 3.21 rear 9 speed because everything
is long haul.(also less engine wear)
My friend says a lift gate is nice, sometimes,
he also says roll-up doors are nice, but have more repairs.
Also any comments on,"my own authority, would also help.
Thanks in Advance

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
you are in for the ride of your life if you jump in head first like that. no experience period and you are going to be a true independent. i think you are getting ahead of yourself. you are trying to run before you can crawl. you really need to think about driving for someone else to get some experience. if you want to be in a t/t there are plenty of companies out there that will train you and let you get some experience. you will have alot of stress and pressure on you if you start out completely on your own. not only will you have the stress of learning to drive you will also have the stress of learning to book loads. i just think it's to much at one time. good luck.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Oldmanrandy: most all the issues you are looking for input on have been discussed, and can be found on the Newbies FAQ thread. You will also learn a lot from doing a search for a particular question, and checking the schedule on the Home Page for free seminars - attending one is a good way to get your questions answered, and talk to the pros face to face, too. Good luck, and happy reading!

oldmanrandy

Seasoned Expediter
Sorry, didn't make a few things clear.
Have been driving for someone else since Nov.
Sprinters, straights, and class 8's.
I understand the business end of it, since I see the numbers, I used to own my own business, and I see the pay checks I am getting as just a driver.
I guess I know what it is like to own the hammer instead of swinging someone else's.
Thanks for the input

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Yes, and that certainly is a "FEW" things. So, ya got six months in the business, and, ya wanna bite the whole thing off? Tsh,tsh. I'd love to help, but, I don't have enough skin left on my fingers.

ABEJR2004

Expert Expediter
Hey Oldmanrandy,

I hope you take your time to gather all your info & research, no need to rush. I know it is a bit time consuming but as suggested go back thru the past threads and you can put together a great deal of info.

AbeJr
TranStewart #6680
Stand Tall & Be Proud

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Own Authority. OK now how about your own Clients. Straight Truck just around town people are just not making ends meat they can't afford to put fuel in thre truck.

The only cities I would do this in would be NY NY Miami or D.C. Compeition with LTL or local freight carriers is just to difficult to make a living with. But now if you have your own custmers lined up with agreements in hand your a better man than I.

I would love to do it. Just no profit in Charlotte N.C. in a straight truck.

Go to Tractor Trailer, many more options available.

And my favorite would be a T-300 for a straight truck but I am biased.

oldmanrandy

Seasoned Expediter
Broompilot, you are like several of my freinds and the class 8 was my first idea pulling McClane trailers from Nicholasville, Ky, my neighborhood, untill I became more versed in the business. Then with a steady haul move up from there, branching out. So, I looked into it, only progressive would cover me,300 mile limit, $700 month. Financing, even with good credit and a 20% downpayment on a 5-year old, it has been almost impossible, but I did get approval.
So, after all that another freind who is selling out after 30 years
in trucking, very successful, told me, if I was to start today I would get a class c, single axle since most loads are 5000# or less and never buy a class 8,(he has 5-class 8's for sale today) in addition to 10 other assorted trucks.
With my calculations a used class C with insurance will cost about
$1000 a month. With an average cost per mile of about $.65 then 2000 miles a month will cover the expenses. doesn't seem to be a very high
hurdle.
Love to hear a good vigorous argument about my ideas.
I have thick skin and would rather know now than make the big one
and have to kick myself later for not asking.

oldmanrandy

Seasoned Expediter
Broompilot: also I am not restricting myself to around town.
Being out for a week or two to multiple points would be fine.
Also my freind says that you don't have to sign on with the big ones.
You can contract with them also, UPS, FedX, etc.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Why isn't your friend doing it, if it's sooo easy, stead'a consulting?? Jes wonder'in?

oldmanrandy

Seasoned Expediter
X06col: he is retiring after 30 years in the business.
He has all sorts of trucks and does a variety, but,
If he was to start over today, he said, he would go with
the smaller straight trucks because of the, "Just in Time",
inventory requirements of so many companies in this area.
That would be steel,auto, manufacturing.
does this make sense????
Thanks again

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Sorry, meant to type, makes sense to me, the retirement part, that is.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I disagree with your friend on the class-8 preference. That's class-8 straight truck, not class-8 t/t. If you were going to do local, that's one thing. A cube truck may be enough to get you some good biz. But to get all you can, a class-8 straight would be your best bet. Not to mention an engine that can last twice as long as a smaller truck.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

oldmanrandy

Seasoned Expediter
OK Tennessee, So you think that there are enough loads that require either tandem or tag axle, and because of that then you also need the engine to pull it.
So if I have this right you would go with:
Straight box 24'
52000# capacity
tandem/tag axles
350 hp +
Reefer or not
lift gate or not
Anything else
Oh, how do you feel about, my own authority, and then going back to the Ups and Fedxs as a contract carrier not as a lease on.
Thanks

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Recently, I've noticed bunks (and the junk going in them) are getting heavier. Used to be a truck with a 72" bunk could haul 13,000+. Now, I'm struggling to get 12k into it.

What I'm suggesting is all tied into getting your own authority. If you do, you'll want everything on the truck (within reason) to get you loaded. Ppl will say a liftgate is a headache, but it's more loads. Blankets, pallet jack, bars and straps all get you more loads. A reefer will get you more loads, but I don't know if it's more of a headache than it's worth. It depends on what kind of biz you can find.

oldmanrandy

Seasoned Expediter
Tennessee, I appreciate the answers.
I am here with little experience and so many options and methods and directions to go in.
Its nice to have the fire extinguisher but 99% of the time its not needed.Many of the possible options I am weighting will only be needed 5% of the time, but 5% lift gate, 5% reefer, 5-10% 20000#,
we might be talking about the good load that eliminates 50% of your monthly dead head miles.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My trucks stay busy without reefer and attendant headaches and expenses. They do have liftgate, pallet jack, pads, bars etc. to qualify as Elite Services. You can get a very nice Sterling class 8 in single axle configuration. I have one of them and it's a huge heavy duty truck. It has a Cat C9 350/1100 so it could handle a lift axle if/when I choose to add one but I doubt I will. I don't want to pay the FET on it and that's owed regardless of when the axle is added. I also don't want to pay the mpg penalty for lugging around the axle weight the 90% of the time it's raised.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
That liftgate/palletjack/blanket may make up 5-10% of the loads; but when that load comes on the back end of a Cali run, sending you back to Chicago, you'll be glad you had them on the truck. Of course, money is the deciding factor. If you need to, start with the cheaper stuff and expand when you can.