MAJOR FUEL SAVINGS IN EXPEDITED FREIGHT!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
What happened when I was sleeping?

OH boy, I think that kg’s point was more not to be taken seriously (chime in here kg and correct me if I am wrong) than anything else. I read something really similar about compassionable consumption of meat from a Vegan on another forum last night and that one was taken too seriously.

Phil, great post but it reminds me of dichotomy within the society of the former Soviet Union which used the philosophy of from each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs except for party members - they get everything.

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
I agree Greg, I think there was some "tongue in cheek" with the original post. I imagine kg is having quite a laugh at all of us.

tec1959

Expert Expediter
LDB great answer there's to many people That think they are passed by for one reason or another and they should Have got the load.Carriers pick the smallest size truck that they can find to take the load.Heck once with Robert's Express I was In a "E" unit and they offered us a load which we took that was 1 box of stickers for a car company that weighed 13 lbs.It HAD to GO because It would stop a line If they didn't get them which we know would cost $1000's of dollars of down time.Also once we were offered a load to pu 1 piece 200 lbs well a van driver was sitting In our truck talking with us when the offer came offer the C-link and saw It and got so P****d off he called every one that he could and said he should of got the load,Well yes It was 1 piece about 200 lbs but It was almost 6 1/2 ft tall and wouldn't fit In a van Soooooo LOL...You never...

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
That's precisely why you should stay away from the coffee clotches, and BS sessions in one pile. Someone {always} goes away Pi$$ed before it's over it seems. And usually for no good reason. Run what you are offered, when it's offered, and move on.

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
I was offered a load at my rate (D truck) for one container at 200 lbs. It was dimention worhty of a D truck. 48"x48"x93" A tall load wouldn't fit in a van. When I got to the shipper it was shrink wrapped to 96" high. Ther wasn't a dock available. The dockmaster torn down the load and put the boxes on two skids, shrink wrapped the skids and loaded them on the back of my tuck at the bottom of the van ramp.. Now it was a van load sooooooooo I immediately called my dispatcher and told them to send a van so I would be able to sleep that night in good conscience.
Another time I picked up a small, light load from a customer that didn't appear to have a way to load a van. I took the load but called a dispatcher to set up a swap at a crossdock that could handle my D truck and a van.
I sleep at night, but on a park bench.....

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
That IS admirable Fish. The next 98 times you pass freight on, it MIGHT be returned 0 times.

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
I guess I should have added, tongue in cheek". These were just two loads I had lately that could have been run by vans, but weren't because of the shipper. I never turn down an opportunity to make money and I don't swap unless I am out of hours, which doesn't happen.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I guarantee
>you there isn't a company ignoring a van to send a big truck
>if the van can carry it, unless they are stupid and don't
>want to keep as much of the tariff as they can. I understand
>your point, and suspect you drive a van and believe you are
>being discriminated against at times, but don't believe
>that's the case unless you drive for a stupid carrier.

Not necessarily true.

Our carrier has openly announced that among the parameters considered for a particular run is destination needs. For example: If a tracter load is scheduled to leave monday from Podunk, USA and there are no tracters in or inbound for Podunk, a van load is likely to be placed on a tractor to get it to the shippers area on Monday.

Also, There may be no van offload method at the consignee, so the load is assigned to a dock high truck. An expedite load might require a team when no van teams are available; the freight goes on a straight truck. Hazmat not suitable for a van goes onto a straight truck The vans spotted in a shipping area might be out of service, out of hours (it can happen) or might have refused the load; it goes on a straight truck

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Terry said:
Our carrier has openly announced that among the parameters considered for a particular run is destination needs. For example: If a tracter load is scheduled to leave monday from Podunk, USA and there are no tracters in or inbound for Podunk, a van load is likely to be placed on a tractor to get it to the shippers area on Monday.

Carriers will do just this so not to have to pay DH to the tractor or straight. It makes good business sense....unless your the van waiting on that load. Its a downer but thats the biz.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
>I sleep at night, but on a park bench.....

=============================================

Hey Fish,

I failed to mention that after I picked up my 2 pound box, I called the dispatcher and asked if I could pass it to a van. He said the van guy was still at home, so I offered to drive the 20 miles out of the way to bring it to his door. Oh, and I gave him some gas money.(Applause)

Can I bring my rolled up newspaper pillow and borrow half of your bench? :D

Drive Safe!

Jeff

Driver for 15 years
O/O for 13 years
OOIDA #829119

kangar0085

Seasoned Expediter
That's like putting an Angust steak in front of me after I haven't eaten all day and telling me not to eat it because of all the calories :p

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I'm in an E unit,if dispatch calls with a B load and it goes where I want to go,it's going in my truck,doesn't happen often,but has happened.I once hauled a 5 gallon bucket of radio active dirt,from pittsburgh pa to ft pierce fl,even needed my reefer,it was a C load,hardest part was securing it

tec1959

Expert Expediter
I have never driven a van in this business only "D","DR" and "E" units but i have seen a number of times a "B" unit/van carry a load that weight more lbs than they should of taken.So at times and places it is a two way street some you lose and some you don't...Terry i think knows more about van loads and running a van than anyone here or any person with any company,From what i have read on his post he runs VERY SMART as a van owner and a business person...Good Luck everyone...

csands007

Seasoned Expediter
Being a van driver I would love all you big trucks to deny a load, but would not expect it. If I was in your shoes I would take it, just as a van driver will overload a little to take his.
Chuck

DreamTeam44

Seasoned Expediter
As you can see we are being thorough by researching past posts in hopes it will help us make the right decision whether to expedite or not to expedite, that is our question....
I had to LAUGH OUT LOUD after coming across this post, while this fellas idea is ok with the green theory and all, if I were offered a load that was light in a '53 ft. trailer, well sorry but that is what we are hoping expedited will bring us compared to the 36-46k we consistently pull now for 86 cents a mile.....
I noticed KG the author of this post never did respond to the overwhelming disagreement on the subject......guess I needed that laugh as this is a stressful time for us.....to expedite or not to expedite 4 the DreamTeam....that continues to B R Question......where IS that answer?

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
if fed ex offers me a van load,the customer pays a van rate,and if there are no other trucks around,the fed will bump that load for my pay as a d,and if haulling lets say 1000 lbs,my fuel mileage is much better,than if im grossed out at 80000 lbs.the customer doesnt care about fuel mileage,but as an owner opperator ,i do.sometimes that d load on my truck,because of fuel mileage difference,makes me more money than a 44000lb e load