Lucas Oil Treatment

greg334

Veteran Expediter
God with a 7500 mile oil change cycle, no wonder it is lasting.

1997 Dodge ISB Cummins 3500, pulling a horse trailer out west - 650,000 miles, oil changes average every 15,000 miles (sometimes as high as 17,000). No by pass filter, no additives just plain dino oil, OAs which can't be beat. Owned the truck till 2003, put 200k on it myself and the present owner is still beating the crap out of it - it still keeps going.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I have 2 fords at this time a 6.0 diesel and a 5.4 gas both are around 400,000 no additives Mobll 1 full syn in the gasser, change about 8,000 uses maybe 2 quarts between changes.The diesel 15-40 till dec then 10-30 til march.That's rotella 15-40 and motorcraft 10-30 if i can find the rotella 10-30 i wil use that.I've had two 7.3's and in the summer months i used the lucas,it help with noise control if nothing else.I was told by my diesel if your gonna use a additive use Prolong,which was confirmed by other diesel guys.I don't use any additives at this time.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
This is the same as debating religion or politics. Most are already committed to their belief and few will change by what is said here. I say Lucas helps my engine and it would be hard to change my mind. This comes from using Lucas. Others use nothing, while others use different brands. Some use Brand-X oil and some use Brand-Y. We do it for a reason, not based on what others say, usually. I had an International that used no oil. I used no additives in it. I am on my third truck that I use Lucas in for the mere fact that without Lucas, they used some oil between changes. This is my basis for using it. I have heard all about the foaming and there not being anything in it but thicker oil. But it works for me.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess it depends on the definition of "it works". I have a truck that uses a bit of oil. But, it's not that much to say I have some kind of problem. From what you describe, I'd put your truck in the same category. Some engines just use a little oil. If there really isn't a problem, then does it "work"?

There are tons of folks out there that have gone way over a million on engines without the use of additives. That's where I'm coming from when I try to get people to tell me what these products do for them. Catch words like "stabilize" just sound like salesman mumbo jumbo to me.

I'd love to hear Forrest Lucas, (I think his first name is Forrest?), interviewed by Kevin Rutherford.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
In Highways post above:
There are tons of folks out there that have gone way over a million on engines without the use of additives.

Same argument goes for whether Synthetic Oil is better for your engine than Conventional Oil.

As "Ed Wallace" (The Car Guy) once said, "I've never blown an engine while using conventional oil for my regular oil changes". He's a big critic of the overpriced, overhyped synthetic oil broo-ha-ha.

Guess it's a personal choice with Lucas oil additives. Can't seem to find any "Lawsuits" filed against Lucas from their customers who's engines blew up while they were using their product.

When my 2004 Dodge 5.9 Cummins hit 100K, I went to a 10-2 Formula for my oil changes.(10qts 15-40 Rotella T + 2qts Lucas) Ran that formula for the remaining 80K miles I owned that truck. Never had a problem, engine did seem to run a little quieter, and fuel mileage increased a little as time went by. (I put about 180K on that truck in about a 2 year time period)

So, it's a personal choice. I believe in it, and will use Lucas again in the future if I ever get my hands on another Cummins.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In Highways post above:

Same argument goes for whether Synthetic Oil is better for your engine than Conventional Oil.

As "Ed Wallace" (The Car Guy) once said, "I've never blown an engine while using conventional oil for my regular oil changes". He's a big critic of the overpriced, overhyped synthetic oil broo-ha-ha.

Guess it's a personal choice with Lucas oil additives. Can't seem to find any "Lawsuits" filed against Lucas from their customers who's engines blew up while they were using their product.

When my 2004 Dodge 5.9 Cummins hit 100K, I went to a 10-2 Formula for my oil changes.(10qts 15-40 Rotella T + 2qts Lucas) Ran that formula for the remaining 80K miles I owned that truck. Never had a problem, engine did seem to run a little quieter, and fuel mileage increased a little as time went by. (I put about 180K on that truck in about a 2 year time period)

So, it's a personal choice. I believe in it, and will use Lucas again in the future if I ever get my hands on another Cummins.

I've heard synthetic oil described as "expensive oil for race cars". Sounds about right to me. I know a guy that ran Mobil 1 in a gas engine van and had to replace the engine at 125k. He's still convinced it's the way to go.

"..did seem to run a little quieter..." "...fuel mileage increased a little as time went by..."

Doesn't sound like solid, quantifiable benefits to me. But, if it makes you feel better, it's all good.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Does anyone use this or would anyone recommend putting it in your truck? Just looking for any feed back Thanks!

I have used Lucas since 1996 and it has worked great for our trucks. I used it in our 1997 FL 70 Freightliner that had 1.2 million miles on it when i sold it without a major overhaul.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I'd love to hear Forrest Lucas, (I think his first name is Forrest?), interviewed by Kevin Rutherford.

Actually I would love to hear Lucas interviewed by Bob of Bob is the oil guy. I think Rutherford is out of his league with Oil and would not ask the right questions.

The one thing that many seem to miss is that NO one can prove that it is good for an engine. Just because an engine does a million miles or 200k, doesn't mean squat. A lot of it has to do with luck, keeping oil in the thing and how you drive it. As I walked around at Detroit Diesel one day, I asked one of the testing engineers in the group how they know which one will make it to 100k and which one will not - the answer is "it is all about luck". When he meant was simply that you can have a whole row of same exact spec'ed engines and everyone of them will be different. One out of a bunch may make it to three million while one may not make it down the street.

Beside all of that.

I believe that some company say like Shell or Mobile who spends MILLIONS on R&D and testing these products would jump at a chance to put some of this in their oil if it really worked. BUT like the DD guys said about Turbo3000, Shell and Mobile roll their eyes and say "give me a break".

guido4475

Not a Member
I have used Lucas since 1996 and it has worked great for our trucks. I used it in our 1997 FL 70 Freightliner that had 1.2 million miles on it when i sold it without a major overhaul.

I have used it, (Lucas) in everything I have,including their transmission treatment, and have had excellent results with it all.The one truck I sold, a 1998 fl-70 with a 3126 in it,is still running at 938,000 miles, untouched.Unopened.It had Lucas run in it from day one.The new owner called me from a Detroit-Diesel Allison shop with the mechanic in the background,arguing that the trans is not the original.I told him I know it is for a fact, and ran Lucas in it, along with Trans-Synd transmission fluid, changed every 100,000 miles.He said he cant believe how clean and how little wear everything is showing.I am a firm believer in Lucas, yes.