Lucas oil stabilizer and below zero temps

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Well!....I had a hot air gun blowing on the batteries and a propane torch blowing in the direction of the oil pan and a battery charger hooked to the batteries...and a small shot of starting fluid (no glow plugs in this engine) and a waiting game....plus it warmed up to 15 degrees....I was told that my battery charger is weak that's why it takes so long to bring up the charge of 4 batteries.....IT STARTED!!!! thank you Jesus!!

Gonna shut it off tonight ?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle...the wife wants to know where to fine the formulas you referenced from so she can stash for later when new batteries are needed.

Thanks a bunch!
k1 = 0.61 + 0.0082*temp - 0.0000417*temp[SUP]2[/SUP]
k2 = 0.61 + 0.0082*ccatemp - 0.0000417*ccatemp[SUP]2[/SUP]
newcca = k1 * (cca/k2)

You need the CCA rated temperature (which is zero for the base), and the current battery temperature, and the battery CCA as stated on the battery label.

The easiest way for most people is to just read the CCA on the battery label and know that it'll be more than that if it's warmer than zero and less than that if it's below zero. And that it'll be less than that if the battery is not new and fully charged.

When buying new batteries, you need to have as many as the starting motor requires to start the engine, but generally speaking, get a battery (or batteries) with the most CCA available. Mostly you're limited by the footprint of the battery (Group 31 or Group 29, etc.) but sometimes you will find two Group 31 batteries with very different CCA ratings. Get the higher one. That battery contains more lead and therefor can put out more amps.

One thing to keep in mind for those with multiple battery setups, like in a truck with 3, 4 or 5 truck batteries, or with a house bank of batteries, you add up all of the CCA (or CA), so three batteries each with 800 CCA gives you 2400 CCA to start the truck. It's also the number of amps that will be dumped toot-sweet into a short circuit.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Any metal surface wow someone is gonna be a bazillion air now that they figured how to stick a magnet to aluminum !!!
Gorilla glue?

Sorry, I didn t mean to include aluminum. ....basically whatever a magnet sticks to.....lol

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I have one of these on the oil pan of my Kubota tractor. It definitely helps cold starts. A big engine might need a couple. They can also be glued to metal radiator tanks. Smaller ones can be stuck to batteries, but they don't really regulate temperature, so not a good idea to leave plugged in for very long.

Amazon.com: Kat's 24150 150 Watt 4"x 5" Universal Hot Pad Heater: Automotive

Battery blankets are better than the heating pads, they don't get as hot and they're safer. They can be left on for hours.

Kat's 22200 80 Watt 36" Battery Thermal Wrap : Amazon.com : Automotive

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
The best maintenance for your battery situation,,,,,,is preventative maintenance...so

before winter, get all ur ducks in a row: engine /oil heaters ready.
clean terminal connections
have someone do a load simulation on your batteries one by one to discover a possible bad cell. "remember you are shaking those batteries to death and plates can go down hill.

PS- just because their new--does not mean they are going to work--its man made,lol.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well bud I see the southern Pride Boys here are at there best again. Back in the 70 I had a Pinto it had a 2000 motor the Iron Pony motor. He started in the cold but a few times it got down to -25 below. I had been well veresed by my uncle Irv to get a block heater off a 400 cheve motor. Hooked it up to the heater hoses and ran the electric chord out side and plugged it in. it take about an hour or so but it got the block hot. She always started. Give it a try. It will work. Id shy away from torches and the like As far as Lucas goes Very good in Desert Heat Im Talking 110 degress plus I got a pic of 139 F and the 475 Cat was pluging right along across the Devils Playground. In the winter Try the new one out in the black Jug. Motor Kote it works very very well in the Cold. Or yo can use the Synethitic Blend Lucas it flows in the extreme cold. One last thing when its cold keep your tanks full and well doped up with your favorite Anti gel. Far as Batterys go use what recomended in the Vehicle going to a higher cranking amp battery somtimes dont let your charging system do what its suppose to do thus undercharging. You need to make sure you know what it is set at on your electrical system. Keep the terminals clean and connections tight thats my dime good luck.

Last edited: