LRT, Landshark, or Errands 1st

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
5000 miles a month, with multiple carriers, and for the most part under a $1 a mile including FSC...id quit.....but then I run for "A" (as in "1" only) carrier that won't ask me to run for that kind of rate, and if the bid has to be low enough to get it, then they will up my % and take less on their end to make sure i don't run for that kind of rate and wont contract Cargo Vans anymore as they move them out due to attrition, they just aren't replacing them....

But again, running for multiple carriers for under a $1 a mile for the most part, and id say under a $1.10 a mile just doesn't make sense to me..and then have to wait for extended periods to get paid, or fight to get paid, or deal with a dispatch or owner that thinks they can treat you as dirt or an employee...no...but hey, thats just me....

Last edited:

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My driver gets paid every friday whether I am paid or not. The only reason why my driver is averaging 5k miles a month is because she does not run hard like me and Preacher Rich do. My driver does not do 1000k mile loads overnight and I ain't gonna push her to do so and have her kill herself just so I can make an extea 300 dollars a month.

Rich just pulled 7k miles in 4 weeks and had an entire week off in that period of time. That's not too shabby for multiple companies. The key to making money with multiple carriers is to know which ones to sign on with. All three of the companies that I work with pay within 6 days or less with On-Dekk paying in three days!

I actually get paid faster than I would if I was leased on to a bigger company. When my driver does a load for my company she is paid in net 3 days. Like I said, my driver does not run as hard as some people do hence the shorter miles and I respect that. A slow and steady income is all i'm looking for with my van right now. I hope this clarifies things a bit.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
My driver gets paid every friday whether I am paid or not. The only reason why my driver is averaging 5k miles a month is because she does not run hard like me and Preacher Rich do. My driver does not do 1000k mile loads overnight and I ain't gonna push her to do so and have her kill herself just so I can make an extea 300 dollars a month.

Rich just pulled 7k miles in 4 weeks and had an entire week off in that period of time. That's not too shabby for multiple companies. The key to making money with multiple carriers is to know which ones to sign on with. All three of the companies that I work with pay within 6 days or less with On-Dekk paying in three days!

I actually get paid faster than I would if I was leased on to a bigger company. When my driver does a load for my company she is paid in net 3 days. Like I said, my driver does not run as hard as some people do hence the shorter miles and I respect that. A slow and steady income is all i'm looking for with my van right now. I hope this clarifies things a bit.

I can repsect that if that works for both of you...And the key is not the 5000 miles, but the less then a dollar rate or as i stated for myself, even a $1.10...That being sad, you know as well as most that you paying in the time frame and paying even if you haven't been is the exception not the rule...and you are to be commended for it...As for running miles..as OVM sayes in his tagline, "run less make more".....:D...

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I can repsect that if that works for both of you...And the key is not the 5000 miles, but the less then a dollar rate or as i stated for myself, even a $1.10...That being sad, you know as well as most that you paying in the time frame and paying even if you haven't been is the exception not the rule...and you are to be commended for it...As for running miles..as OVM sayes in his tagline, "run less make more".....:D...

It used to be that way too, Chef. In 2007 we used to get 2500 mile loads out of Detroit for 3000 bucks all inclusive. There are a lot of cargo vans sitting all over the place and that is why the rates are so depressed. Even the smaller companies are charging premium rates for straight truck loads as the market is not over-saturated with them.

I am going to be moving away from the cargo van business model and head into the straight truck and tractor trailer market real soon. As for my van, I am just looking to break even with the 6k of repairs I put into it. After that i'm going to unload it and focus on getting a regular set of wheels. I have to think outside the van for my future!

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
Whats the typical freight for a cargo van...what will I be hauling mostly? Can you get by without plywood?

Sent from my Milestone X2 using EO Forums

Ok, just looking at your questions, you need to read a lot of posts and make a lot of phone calls. Get a notepad and write down the answers to your questions. The bottom line is what are your goals? How much money do you need to make to support your family? That is different for everyone. There area lot of people here with a lot of wisdom to share, take what info benefits getting you close to your goals and throw the rest in the trash.

Signing on with one carrier may be the best way to help you learn the business or based on decisions you make to reach your goals, a multi-carrier plan may be better for you.

I will say I have ran many loads for Landshark and have always gotten paid. Recently they have been paying pretty fast and their dispatch team is very good. No info on the other two carriers you mentioned.

Find someone like Blizzard who will take time and do a little mentoring as you get started.

Oh yeah, praying about it is always good too!

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My driver has now moved 6k miles as of this weekend. I booked her a 1200 mile load over the weekend and we still have 8 days left to go before the 1 month mark. I hope to get her at least another 1500 miles. Good luck to you all!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My driver has now moved 6k miles as of this weekend. I booked her a 1200 mile load over the weekend and we still have 8 days left to go before the 1 month mark. I hope to get her at least another 1500 miles. Good luck to you all!

nice almost 2k per week average for a CV...not too shabby

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
We only have two cargo vans left and if they quit I'm not so sure I'm going to replace them. With the straights it's odd if one of them has hours and is still sitting at the end of the day, but with the vans you have to fight tooth and nail to get anything resembling a decent rate. The last thing we need is more of them thinking that the trick is adding another company. What was that about false capacity and supply and demand?

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The vans are almost a waste of time in my opinion unless you get the freight directly from the source. Once my van is all used up and can no longer move loads - it's going right into the junk yard. I'm done with vans personally. You can make some good money in a van but you will never have a life and you will be working day and night for the money. The straight trucks and tractor trailers are the way to go. You also get a better caliber of driver in a straight truck as it takes quite a bit more training and financial investment to get into a bigger truck.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Have to agree. A van could work for one individual as we see here on EO, but as a fleet owner, the ROI just isn't there for me to justify it. I can't imagine trying to hire van drivers. Seems like it would be a totally different mindset.