Loyalty or stupidity?

wesaypop

Rookie Expediter
Hello all,

The fleet owner I'm currently with now is an awesome guy, but the carrier he's leased to is not doing it for me. I'm sitting 3 to 5 days regularly, and was told it's hard for him to find me loads because of the carrier's safety rating. I'm also not getting paid like I'm supposed to, either.

Since coming back to expediting in Jan. after health issues, I've been paid only twice. All money was accounted for in those settlements, but still.

I was told that the carrier's employees were not sending out paperwork in a timely fashion. Whenever I need money the fleet owner will ask me how much I need and then deposit it into my account. $200 bucks here and there. It's frustrating.

I really appreciate the guy giving me a chance at driving his trucks and getting me started in the business. When I first started this with him over the summer the money I was making was crazy. I also got paid every Monday as agreed. But since coming back I'm making maybe $300 a week, and getting paid every 3 weeks to a month.

He says he's hoping things get better so that I won't quit, and I'm trying to hang in there, but it's too hard. I can't even send money home to my family.

As I write this I'm sitting in KC, Mo, where I've sat since Friday. And I dead headed here from Arkansas-where I sat for a few days there also.

I'm sitting here contemplating if I should just tell him I quit and I'm heading back to Chicago to drop off his truck.

Would that be rude of me? Should I just ride out the week?

I'm currently talking to Taylor Made Express about a driving opportunity. They are based out of Milwaukee, WI. But have opened up an office in Addison, Il.

I searched the forum for info about this company, and found only one thread from years ago.

I was wondering if anyone have any updated info on them? I plan to drive as a contractor, not o/o.

Sorry for the long post, I'm truly frustrated and don't want to act hastily. Looking for opinions. Thanks.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Maybe kill two birds with one stone. If you like the owner but the carrier is underperforming, both of you are taking a hit revenue wise. Maybe the two of you should shop a better carrier? Then you both win. It is a slower time of year for some carriers but you should be turning the corner here pretty soon. We are very busy so I know the freight is there.

wesaypop

Rookie Expediter
Thanks for responding everyone. After finding out I wouldn't be paid today, I decided to quit. I drove back to Chicago, cleaned the truck as best as could and let him know.

My wife thinks he's been playing me. I called another driver who drives for the same fleet owner and he says though he's not getting many loads, he still gets paid every week without fail. So I'm wondering why in the world am I not getting paid?

He owes me for 4 weeks. My wife says I'm too nice for my own good. I was considering myself being patient and loyal, believing him when he said it's the carrier's fault he couldn't pay me. Now I think my wife was right-- he was playing me the whole time.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thanks for responding everyone. After finding out I wouldn't be paid today, I decided to quit. I drove back to Chicago, cleaned the truck as best as could and let him know.

My wife thinks he's been playing me. I called another driver who drives for the same fleet owner and he says though he's not getting many loads, he still gets paid every week without fail. So I'm wondering why in the world am I not getting paid?

He owes me for 4 weeks. My wife says I'm too nice for my own good. I was considering myself being patient and loyal, believing him when he said it's the carrier's fault he couldn't pay me. Now I think my wife was right-- he was playing me the whole time.

I think your decision to abruptly quit was premature. Not that quitting the owner wasn't the right decision, mind you, but you deserve some answers, and you won't get them now. Or the money he owes you, either.
In your position, I would have done as DaveKC suggested: request a switch in carriers. His response would have let you know whether it was truly the carrier, in which case he should want to leave them also, because he wouldn't be getting paid for your work either. You probably would have got more BS reasons why he doesn't want to switch, but that would be good reason to leave him.
Did you ever ask the carrier about the paperwork issue?

Reactions: runrunner