Looking to get into a Sprinter

kilteddriver

Rookie Expediter
I have over 20 years in the trucking industry. I want to get into a Sprinter van service. With are the regs for big trucks, parking and no detention pay, I need a change. I saw the question about the regs. so I guess no DOT inspection is required. I guess what else I need to know is:
Fuel reporting? Taxes? by state? 2290?
In CT we have a Combination plate/registration, will that work?
Insurance requirements? IE: vehicle and cargo
Insurance companies that handle Sprinter Vans and freight?
Would I need my own authority? yes I am looking to go interstate.
Can I find freight at these expediter companies, DAT boards or other freight boards? (looking and registered at Uship)
Are NASTC and OOIDA knowledgeable in these ares?
Can Sprinters pull new light trailers/campers or a uhaul car carrier?
CDL requirements? IE: Cls B? (Panther requirement) no haz mat for me
Medical card?

It is a bunch of questions, I think I covered most. I am also looking for start up financing to cover this venture. I am looking at a company that will install a sleeper.
And of course, what would be the average pay? I think i saw some companies were paying around .75- 1.00 to the van, I have seen 70% at another company.

Really need to get out of the big truck, LOL Thanx for any help.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
First, everything you know about truck maintenance should be thrown out the window when it comes to a Sprinter. Relearn it from scratch, because everything you think you know is probably exactly wrong. The same holds true for everything you think you know about trucking when it comes to expediting. Right out the window.

You mentioned no detention pay, which indicates making the most amount of money possible may be one of your goals. If that's the case, a Sprinter ain't it.

A Sprinter is a less-than 10,001 pound vehicle, so it is not regulated at all by the DOT. All of the things you think apply to trucking do not apply to a Sprinter. Things like fuel taxes reporting and plates - it's just a cargo van same as a plumber's van or your personal car.

You will not find expedited freight on any publicly accessible load board, like DAT or any of the others. If you want your own authority instead of leasing on with a carrier, you will already have to know where your freight will be coming from, either directly from customers, freight brokers or from partner carriers. Getting your own authority as a means of entering the expedite sector before you understand just how different it is from general trucking is one of the surest ways to guarantee failure.

Sprinters can indeed pull the new light trailers, campers and car haulers, but pulling any of those means you'll be a CMV and will have to log and scale and be subjected to all of the regulations you are already so fond of.

Being that a Sprinter is an unregulated vehicle, a CDL is not required unless you want to haul HAZMAT which requires placarding. Some carriers nevertheless require all of their drivers, be they in a truck, cargo van or Sprinter, to have a CDL of some kind. If you already have a Class A or a Class B, just keep it. Most carriers also require a DOT medical card regardless of whether they require a CDL.

Do not enter into expediting already in debt by obtaining financing for anything other than a truck payment. You need to have at a minimum $5000 in the bank before you take your first load.

If you truly want to get into expediting, I recommend that you buy a used cargo van, like a Ford or a Chevy, with all or mostly cash and have it paid off as soon as humanly possible, and then use that to learn the industry. You can also use that to learn what modifications you will and will not want to make regarding creature comforts like sleepers and whatnot.

People coming into expediting from general trucking have the hardest time adjusting to the sitting, sometimes for days, waiting for their next load. It's even worse when they come into expediting in a van or Sprinter from a big truck, because there is even more sitting. 1000-1500 miles in a week is probably about average, and that's for those who understand how it all works, know where the good and bad places to sit and wait, and have learned the art of patience and have discovered ways to pass the time. Even sitting in the right spots you can sit for 2 days in between loads, and the loads you do get are 150 miles each. At the end of the week it all adds up, but not to very much. You have to have money set aside in preparation for that.

Go to truck stops and talk to as many cargo van expediters as you can. Get the nickel tour of the insides of their vans. You'll immediately get a better understanding of what you think you want to get yourself into.

wimpy007

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
US Army
As a old hand at expediting, Turtle has put some of the best advise I have ever read about this business. Please take his advice . Good Luck

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Spot on, Turtle. IF you do it, try as hard as you possibly can to stay an ALL CASH business. If you charge it, pay it off that month.

guido4475

Not a Member
First, everything you know about truck maintenance should be thrown out the window when it comes to a Sprinter. Relearn it from scratch, because everything you think you know is probably exactly wrong. The same holds true for everything you think you know about trucking when it comes to expediting. Right out the window.

You mentioned no detention pay, which indicates making the most amount of money possible may be one of your goals. If that's the case, a Sprinter ain't it.

A Sprinter is a less-than 10,001 pound vehicle, so it is not regulated at all by the DOT. All of the things you think apply to trucking do not apply to a Sprinter. Things like fuel taxes reporting and plates - it's just a cargo van same as a plumber's van or your personal car.

You will not find expedited freight on any publicly accessible load board, like DAT or any of the others. If you want your own authority instead of leasing on with a carrier, you will already have to know where your freight will be coming from, either directly from customers, freight brokers or from partner carriers. Getting your own authority as a means of entering the expedite sector before you understand just how different it is from general trucking is one of the surest ways to guarantee failure.

Sprinters can indeed pull the new light trailers, campers and car haulers, but pulling any of those means you'll be a CMV and will have to log and scale and be subjected to all of the regulations you are already so fond of.

Being that a Sprinter is an unregulated vehicle, a CDL is not required unless you want to haul HAZMAT which requires placarding. Some carriers nevertheless require all of their drivers, be they in a truck, cargo van or Sprinter, to have a CDL of some kind. If you already have a Class A or a Class B, just keep it. Most carriers also require a DOT medical card regardless of whether they require a CDL.

Do not enter into expediting already in debt by obtaining financing for anything other than a truck payment. You need to have at a minimum $5000 in the bank before you take your first load.

If you truly want to get into expediting, I recommend that you buy a used cargo van, like a Ford or a Chevy, with all or mostly cash and have it paid off as soon as humanly possible, and then use that to learn the industry. You can also use that to learn what modifications you will and will not want to make regarding creature comforts like sleepers and whatnot.

People coming into expediting from general trucking have the hardest time adjusting to the sitting, sometimes for days, waiting for their next load. It's even worse when they come into expediting in a van or Sprinter from a big truck, because there is even more sitting. 1000-1500 miles in a week is probably about average, and that's for those who understand how it all works, know where the good and bad places to sit and wait, and have learned the art of patience and have discovered ways to pass the time. Even sitting in the right spots you can sit for 2 days in between loads, and the loads you do get are 150 miles each. At the end of the week it all adds up, but not to very much. You have to have money set aside in preparation for that.

Go to truck stops and talk to as many cargo van expediters as you can. Get the nickel tour of the insides of their vans. You'll immediately get a better understanding of what you think you want to get yourself into.

Very well worded and informative post.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Turtle's post is so spot on and so encompassing he should just post it every Monday morning under a new Thread name.

It will pick up all the newbies jumping on since last Monday.

Nice post.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When turtle speaks, people listen. :rolleyes:

makepeoplelisten.jpg

kilteddriver

Rookie Expediter
Thanx for the info.. Any thoughts on Expediter Services? The PTO program? I have done lease purchase with the big trucks, bad results.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Thanx for the info.. Any thoughts on Expediter Services? The PTO program? I have done lease purchase with the big trucks, bad results.

Expediter Services would be a good place to start as a contract driver in a S/T. I don't know about there lease to buy program. You need to find a partner they hire teams. Since you are used to a T/T , I'm willing to bet you would like a S/T more than you think. Nothing against Vans but you would miss the sleeper to much.The S/T is a little more money too.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Expeditor Services= Great People

I went from TT to straight and every day is like a day off. At least to me.
Easy to get around in, easy to park, no looking for an empty, or picking up a trl with lite problems/tire problems.