Looking to be owner but not operator

Jeffrey W.

New Recruit
Researching
Hello, I was hoping to get some advice about finding quality team drivers to run loads in my equipment. I’ve been a driver for over 20 years, and still drive a tanker locally hauling gasoline and diesel fuel. I did my years of driving OTR and also spent a couple of years hauling RVs with a F-350. Not looking to go back OTR myself, but am wanting to put some equipment on the road. Trucking is about all I know but COPD is keeping me local. So, I guess what I’m wanting to find out is there carriers out there to keep a team running if I can supply the equipment. Or will I need to run ad to find a team?

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What type of equipment are you planning on running? Sprinter van, cargo van, straight truck of tractor trailer. When we know what equipment you will be running will determine our response.

Jeffrey W.

New Recruit
Researching
I was planning on going with ProMaster 3500 to stick my toe in the water, I’m more along the proof of concept way of thinking before I invest in a straight truck.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Owners are responsible for labor ... and not simply running ads.
Do more research. Margins are very low in the cargo van segment. As mentioned, it's not advisable. Van market has too much capacity. You should check if carriers are even adding vans ...

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

Jeffrey W.

New Recruit
Researching
Thanks for the advice, the reason I was going with a sprinter is because I can get into one with no payments and paid off on day one, with no payments and not really losing money sitting in the driveway if I don’t have a driver in the seat. Is it so saturated with vans out there where the van couldn’t make enough to cover insurance and gas? That is pretty sad state of affairs for the industry. Just the same with hauling RVs, I preached to the other drivers about how they was cutting everyone’s throats accepting cheap rates for backhauls, but it never sank in. The reason I was wanting to put a team in the van is back in my OTR days teams ran when solos sat. One thing about over saturation of vans means there will be a correction in the market flushing out all the drivers that can’t hack it by being buried with debt. My biggest concern would be getting with a company that has enough freight to keep a driver satisfied and in the seat. Question, is the strait truck market just as saturated? The problem with strait trucks in my opinion is the over regulation nation we live in. Thanks again for your input, give me more to think about, but what’s new, I’m a driver with nothing but a lot of windshield time to think this topic to death... lol

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Jeffrey,

The reasons you mention (no regulation, relatively cheap to buy a van, no special license, etc.) are why everybody and their brother got a van and started expediting. They watch a few YouTube videos and think they can make a fortune driving a van.

In reality, freight for vans is scarce, rates are in the toilet, and many have gone out of business, but there seems to be an endless supply of new expediters in vans.

Now with a straight truck is different. They cost more, more regulation, you need a CDL, etc. I have been driving one for a while, but at this time I advise you to wait. For the last few months I have seen a steady decrease in freight numbers, somewhat lower rates, with no end in sight. On top of this, you will be at a big disadvantage because you will not operate the truck yourself. You will have drivers quiting on you because they don't make enough money (and it is easy for them to leave since they don't have too much skin in the game), you will have a hard time finding good drivers. It is very easy to go bankrupt in this situation unless you have lots of money to burn.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Jeffrey,

The reasons you mention (no regulation, relatively cheap to buy a van, no special license, etc.) are why everybody and their brother got a van and started expediting. They watch a few YouTube videos and think they can make a fortune driving a van.

In reality, freight for vans is scarce, rates are in the toilet, and many have gone out of business, but there seems to be an endless supply of new expediters in vans.
winner 2 - Copy.jpg

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the advice, the reason I was going with a sprinter is because I can get into one with no payments and paid off on day one, with no payments and not really losing money sitting in the driveway if I don’t have a driver in the seat.
You lost money the moment you drove that van off the dealers lot. You will also need to put in at least a minimum of $3000 to make the van expedite ready with enough creature comforts to attract and keep a decent team.
Is it so saturated with vans out there where the van couldn’t make enough to cover insurance and gas?
There is also maintenance costs and probably the drivers would like some money.

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

Jeffrey W.

New Recruit
Researching
Makes sense I’m in no big hurry, I was just looking for another stream of income. Sounds like if I do venture into this I will have to keep it local. Soon my big greenhouse will be complete, so I can run local and haul produce up to stlouis. I just been thinking with the new Canada Mexico trade agreement, as well as the economy booming, I was hoping that the freight would pickup. I guess we will sit back and watch for the right tome to jump.

Jeffrey W.

New Recruit
Researching
I haven’t bought a van yet, my brother works in the automotive industry and has found a treasure trove of 2018,19 pro masters with 10 to 20k milesthat I can pay cash for when the time is right my brother taught me long ago to let some other fool pay for the depreciation. Outfitting a van for a team is just part of the game, not a problem I’ve learned a long time ago it takes money to make money! Anyone say different haven’t been in business for themselves, or haven’t been around the trucking industry.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You will have drivers quiting on you because they don't make enough money (and it is easy for them to leave since they don't have too much skin in the game),
Especially for cargo van (Sprinters and Sprinter wannabes) drivers.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
There is a reason there are so many of those promasters sitting......i would go with a ford transit because you can get a long wheelbase which if you set up right you can fit a bunk and 3 skids/pallets in. Plus the transit is a lot cheaper to do maintenance on than a sprinter or promaster.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moot pie taste good!
I hope you forgot to put a comma after Moot. Sure, pie tastes good. But after you meet all of your cost obligations you will be left with some crust flakes and dried filling. Not what I would call a revenue stream. More like a 90 year old male with an STD taking a leak.

• Haha
Reactions: Grizzly and Turtle

Jeffrey W.

New Recruit
Researching
There’s always a right time to jump, but from the responses I’ve gotten, I would have to say now is not the time. But, I really believe the lack of freight situation Is going to turn and will make a comeback. I remember in 2005 or 06 when the fuel price went from .75 cents to $4.00 a gallon it really put the hurt on the RV hauling days.Just like back then, hard times have a way of flushing out the weak. Then we jump with both feet! Hell sometimes I wish I was back out there on the road.