looking into starting courier service part-time

trucker54

Seasoned Expediter
i am exploring the courier business. i live in a major market - Atlanta. I', thinking of a 14' box truck to give me flexibility to handle small to med loads. Service area would be mostly GA with some extension to Birmingham AL, Chatanooga, TN, and Greenville, SC.

My question, I waat to start this part-time - Sat / Sun only.
Will have problems landing this type of work and is this even doable? I am quite aware of the bad economic times, why I am looking to start part-time and not quit my day job.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Why not offer part-time weekend services to an already existing courier company? I think it would be difficult to get and keep customers who you were only available to on the weekends.

trucker54

Seasoned Expediter
good point! thanks. with that siad would I still need my own vehicle / truck? And how would I go about landing subcontract workl with current companies? Know of any in the Atlanta area?
Do most require a CDL?

Sorry for lots of questions.

Reg truck, if iI have to have my own I was thinking of a 2000 model year - e.g. international 4200 or ISUZU NPR. One can pick those up pretty cheap and in good condition, but mileage may be in the 190s.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You need to open the yellow pages and start calling companies in your area. Some are not even open weekends, others have almost no weekend work or do not hire partime help. You want to find out what percentage they each offer for what type of vehicle, what items they charge you for etc. Since you do not have a truck yet you need to ask them what would provide the most load oportunitys. Each market is different and the only way to get the right answers is to start calling. These suggestions come from 10 years in that market in the past.

leebarnes987

Seasoned Expediter
I have worked in the courier business in Cleveland,oh for 10 years. Don't know about Atlanta, but the companies up here work 24/7/365. After the paychecks come out on Friday, they are always looking for someone to do week-end stuff. I would go with a cargo van that you could use for a personnel vehicle during the week.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm in Opreations with a Courier Service in Cleveland Ohio We do Very Little on weekends.And I'd say the Cargo Van would be the way to go, It's Kinda hard to make Money on those Jobs where you Pick up a Envelope and go cross town for $5-6, Starting a Courier Service is almost Impossiable these days, The Exsisting companys are more Cut Throat Than Expediting Companys.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
This does not directly answer trucker54's question, but you courrier types may be interested to read about a courrier company I stumbled into last week. For those of us who do not yet have a good idea of what the future of logistics will look like, this company provides a peek.

When Diane and I arrived in Saint Louis to deliver a load, I had no idea I would be touring this company, or that the company even existed. But having seen six dispatchers dispatch 5,000 loads a day, I have not stopped thinking about what I saw. You might find my March 6 blog entry to be of interest.

This courrier stuff is brand new to me. Forgive me if I am telling you what you already know.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
This does not directly answer trucker54's question, but you courrier types may be interested to read about a courrier company I stumbled into last week. For those of us who do not yet have a good idea of what the future of logistics will look like, this company provides a peek.

When Diane and I arrived in Saint Louis to deliver a load, I had no idea I would be touring this company, or that the company even existed. But having seen six dispatchers dispatch 5,000 loads a day, I have not stopped thinking about what I saw. You might find my March 6 blog entry to be of interest.

This courrier stuff is brand new to me. Forgive me if I am telling you what you already know.

Your an awesome writer. Saved you to bookmarks to read through more later. :)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I would be interested in hearing more, especially about how you think expediting and courrier work is similar and different. Where does one begin and end? When would a customer be better served by using one over the other? What kind of overlap is there, if any?

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i couriered for a while before trucking. the dispatch room was small with three 1st shift guys watching the triple screens for loads coming in and the whereabouts of the vehicles. 2nd and third shift was a one person op and on saturdy afternoons the dispatcher actually ended the day working from home.

the car stuff was usually bank receipts of checks and deposits(never ny cash), inter office supplies, payroll, billing, blood for analysis from clinics or nursing homes(kept in small coolers marked hazardous) and sometime the good paying run from mke to chgo for organ sample biopsy.(i usually got those as 294/chicago does not bother me at all unlike native wisconsinites).

the company had a couple mitsui cab overs parked in the lot. never saw them move. a few drivers had their own vans for larger package delivery. office supplies mostly. book deliveries sometimes. by weeks end we were all in the same pay area after we took out for fuel. this was summer of '07 when the price started to go up.

on the saturday we had larger 100 mile loops of bank pick ups of the days receipts to deliv downtown for processing. never got a call for sunday work.

leebarnes987

Seasoned Expediter
I think the biggest difference is the distance between deliveries. Most of our work is within 100 mi. of the base. We do have longer runs; most of mine have been on the weekend like I said before. If the company has trouble finding drivers, and you make your self available, you can do pretty well. 99% of the runs are dead head back, but are priced well enough to cover it. I think courier companies have regular customers that need that out of state run once in a while and just call them instead of an expedite co

jpalmer

Seasoned Expediter
I am a courier in Dallas Ft Worth. Company I contract for isn't a big one. They are the greatest company in town to work for though. You treat them right and they'll treat you right. 2 dispatchers (one is the owner) They've got 3 employees that work in the office. I average about 350-600 a week delivering mostly envelopes and small boxes. Yesterday I brought home about 350 in one day. VERY BUSY day. I am in a car too. They don't work on weekends and are open 7am to 6pm.

Something you need to consider when doing medical deliveries is OSHA licensing and other types of medical licenses. I can't remember the exact ones. But i know there are a few you need.

I worked for another company in town that was horrible. They are a 27/7 operation. But there communications were crazy as heck. They'd send me 35 calls for one company. But i'd only usually pickup maybe 10. So i'd have to sort through the B.S on the phone......and They never told me When I get paid.......They couldn't seem to answer any questions...i ended up blowing the engine in my car and going back to the company I work for now........

AT some point i want to get into a Box truck..........But I am doing pretty good now..

It all depends on your market......Smaller markets don't do too well with couriers VS towns like Houston Dallas Ft Worth or New York City.......

leebarnes987

Seasoned Expediter
I have a friend who used to work as a courier in New York City. He had to maintain a passport, because they would put him on a plane to Europe with an envelope sometimes. He would pass this off to another courier at the airport in Europe, get back on the plane and fly back to New York.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The only Diffrences Between Courier and Expediting, is A courier is Picking up and Dropping off all day, The Distance a courier Travels 99% is Local, if a Courier does get a long shot (over 100 miles) they have to deadhead back 99% of the time,Most Couriers Don't get paid for extra's such as Hand Loading/Unloading, Straight Truck Couriers don't get paid for the Lift Gate, Most get Paid for Detention Time after 30 Min. And the biggest Diffrence is Pay, What a Expediter gets paid for a 300 mile load will take a courier all day to make. And that is Courier 101.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The only Diffrences Between Courier and Expediting, is A courier is Picking up and Dropping off all day, The Distance a courier Travels 99% is Local, if a Courier does get a long shot (over 100 miles) they have to deadhead back 99% of the time,Most Couriers Don't get paid for extra's such as Hand Loading/Unloading, Straight Truck Couriers don't get paid for the Lift Gate, Most get Paid for Detention Time after 30 Min. And the biggest Diffrence is Pay, What a Expediter gets paid for a 300 mile load will take a courier all day to make. And that is Courier 101.

First saying that I know almost nothing about the courrier business, I will offer that at least one courrier company has its courriers deadheading very little.

EDIT: I misunderstood fastman_1's point and failed to distinguish between the 100 mile long shot and local runs when I wrote what I did below. I leave the following in place thinking it may still be of interest to readers. I do not know what kind of deadhead a JS Logistics truck will have to make after completing a long shot run. Like I said, I know almost nothing about the courrier business. I do know the JS Logistics dispatch system impressed my sox off.

When I toured JS Logistics (see above) I watched dispatchers receive notice on their screens that there were five packages to go from (shipper name). That was an alert to get their attention and let them know of the shipper's location. A brief delay followed as the agent entered the delivery addresses. A few moments later, the computer told dispatchers which courrier vehicles could work in another pickup and deliver the additional load on time with all other loads the courriers then had on.

Courriers here typically have multiple packages in their cars and small trucks. They may change their route three or four times from the time they pick up their first package of the day and deliver it. Between that pickup and delivery they may complete several more. Routing and delivery times are all provided by the computer and sent to the driver via company-provided cell phones.

When I asked about service failures, one of the dispatchers, who also does quality control, made two mouse clicks to get to another screen. The whole fleet was displayed. Two red dots showed the two vehicles that were too far out to make their delivery on time. He had already called the customers to let them know their packages would be 10 minutes late.

They told me of a driver who once picked up a package. The computer alerted dispatchers that he was going the wrong way. Dispatch called to see what was up. The driver had grown up in that area of the city and the route he was taking was his familiar route to the freeway he was trying to get to. Dispatch gave him an alternative that saved him 8 miles. Roads that are closed or no good to use are added to the system and not used by the computer, thereby keeping delivery time estimates accurate for customers and dispatchers, and life good for the drivers.

A driver that follows the instructions that stream to his or her phone can make many times more pickups and deliveries than one who runs one package at a time.

Photos and more info in my March 6 blog entry

Last edited:

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am Impressed with JS, But I don't put them into the Local Courier Catogory, Since they are a Multi State Operation, Myself I consider them A delivery Service, Which is in Between a Courier Service and a Expediting Service, Personally if more Newbies come from a service like JS. I think they would be better Prepared for Expediting.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I agree Fastman, if people would come from an operation like that, they could get more of an edge on others.

The delivery service thing is about right too.

This is not new, the technology has surely improved, but it is not new.

I managed a department with 150 cars with a customer list of 9000 and we did a volume of 4000 pickups a day. Now doesn't sound impressive but you know we did it with four people and two shifts and old technology. We had a third shift that did nothing but airport pickups that came in from PR and other territories. We covered three states and knew where every car was through a tracking system, long before GPS. Some of it was on demand while some of it was regular work but it all was easy once someone knew what they were doing.

If you want to really be impressed, go to FedEx or UPS and see their Aircraft dispatch center, that is impressive. The same goes for their logisitics centers, it is amazing that they do this globally, not just through a few states.

MikeGreene

Seasoned Expediter
What you need is to find a fuel efficient car / van. You can createsome business cards and maybe take out some ads in the yellow pages. Also, you will need liability insurance and possibly a business license. You will need car insurance that covers your vehicle for commercial use as well. There are some websites like http://www.courierpros.com/buy-now which offer you tutorials on how to put up your own courier business.

Good luck.