Looking for motel discount packages

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I like Red Roofs, other places that have no upcharge for having a dog. What motel discount packages are you using?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
i have corporate lodging card,not as good a sit use to be.most of your motel chains give truck driver discounts that are close to what you would get with the corporate lodging card.At most of the rest areas they have discount books for motels in that state,sometimes they are worth while.Motel 6 gives AARP discounts

Curtishardy

Expert Expediter
We have been using Corp Lodging for a while now and it is okay in some areas and in others the hotels on the list really suck.

We have traveled with our dog for 3 years now and stay at La Quintas alot. Most are good a few are great and some are bad. Sometimes we can get them down to $45.00 or so. Not too bad. We always check between the mattresses for unwanted guest. Take you own pillow and don't sit naked on the bed spreads.

Corky

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
We have been using Corp Lodging for a while now and it is okay in some areas and in others the hotels on the list really suck.

We have traveled with our dog for 3 years now and stay at La Quintas alot. Most are good a few are great and some are bad. Sometimes we can get them down to $45.00 or so. Not too bad. We always check between the mattresses for unwanted guest. Take you own pillow and don't sit naked on the bed spreads.

Corky

My last motel in VA it was La Quinta wanted $45 for me and $40 for my dog. They told me just leave your dog in your truck. I asked them if they locked their kids in the bathroom while they were working the desk. Then I left.:cool:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

Take you own pillow and don't sit naked on the bed spreads.

Corky

Sit naked on the bed spreads? You know along with Onboard Electronic monitoring devices their putting in trucks they are requiring Motel operators to put monitors in all the rooms so they can keep an eye on truckers who sit on bed spreads naked.:eek::eek:

matlack

Expert Expediter
I started using the CLC card about 20 years ago and have always been satisfied.
The contracted rate is for a 24 hour stay regardless of the Motel's Checkin/Checkout times.
When a hotel wanted to charge twice within 24 hours, I notified CLC and they instructed me to let the desk clerk charge it and then let CLC dispute it after checkout.
I did so and on my next CLC statement reflected that at the end i was charged only once for the 22-23 hour stay.
This has happened a couple of times, but the key is to notify CLC and not to argue with the desk clerk.
Once I was checking into a motel at 5AM and the clerk wanted me to sign in using a retro date, so that I would have to check out at 11AM (6 hrs later) or "stay over". I dated it so but then called CLC from the room to notify them so that it would be on record that I could download a correct receipt later to carry with my Logbook (Daycab) and also would not be charged twice in a single 24 hour period.
CLC also had an electronic record of when my CLC card was scanned by the Desk Clerk.

I have also used Hotwire or my AAA discount that has been cheaper at certain times than the CLC rates because of Hotels off season rates.

In Febuary 2008 my wife and i stayed at Pidgeon Forge TN in a 2 room suite including a hot breakfast for a "walk in rate" of around $35...about $100 less per night than their summer rates.

The AAA Discounts has been by far been the best deal for me when subscribing to Direct TV or renting cars.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
The CLC program has become too expensive over the years. At one time it was like "room discount charge + their $4.95 fee". Now it's what, $12.95????

Last time I attempted to use my CLC Card I was booking a room at a Motel 6 in St Louis.

Regular room price $44.95 + taxes

CLC Price $39.95 + taxes + $4.95

Motel6.com online reservation price $34.95 + taxes

I then started comparing online prices at all the discount hotel websites (Motel 6, Super 8, Red Roof Inn, etc) by going to their websites directly myself. Huge HUGE savings by doing that over using my CLC Card.

But, I was also scheduling my stays a day or 2 in advance, of which I know is impossible for Expeditors. But, I bet if you need a room right then and there, that if you would just sit out in the parking lot and look up their websites, book your room online, and then walk in 20-30 minutes later to get your room, that it'd probably be cheaper than if you just walk in without a reservation and whip out your CLC Card. Especially with the way the fees have gotten.

The CLC card was NOT created for CDL-Truck Drivers at all. The CLC Card was created for "Corporations" that have high traveling expenses for their Salesmen, CEO's, Representatives, and such. Sure, it works great for getting a $280 room for $150, or a $99 room for $59, of which I have used it for before with great savings. But for us guys that look to pinch every penny we can while out there making a living, it just aint worth it for the $30-$40-$50 rooms we seek.

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
CLC works good for me...Yes I will agree they've changed some with their billing rates but its all based on the usage of the card.....They have different programs. I like the fact with CLC there is no exchange of money its billed directly to a credit card. And the rates are consisntent unlike on weekends rates are higher than during the week at alot of motel chains.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I thought about using Expedia for a hotel room but when I thought about the possibility that a pair of giant Pauley Perrette eyes may be looking through my window at the hotel kind of scared me off using them

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
CLC Is good, but at the same time charges you a lot more. For example, this week in Troy, IL we stayed at a Holiday Inn. The clc rate online was 73.70, then they charged 8 dollars in taxes, and then the 4.95 fee. Holiday Inn told us, and on our receipt showed us, that they charge clc 65. So CLC is making 8.70 off from us, on top of the 4.95 fee. This has happened at many of the hotels listed on clc. Booking online on a lot of hotel sites you save more.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We use CLC, motel discount books, online services and even ask for discounts. We go with the least expensive that we find at the level of service we are looking for. We don't do AARP but we tell them that we are over 50 and they often give us a discount.

We ALWAYS check the beds for bed bugs BEFORE we accept the room. Mrs. Layoutshooter pulls the sheets and blankets up, checks the floods and corners etc while I pack up what we need. Not a problem with them YET!!

Brisco

Expert Expediter
CLC Is good, but at the same time charges you a lot more. For example, this week in Troy, IL we stayed at a Holiday Inn. The clc rate online was 73.70, then they charged 8 dollars in taxes, and then the 4.95 fee. Holiday Inn told us, and on our receipt showed us, that they charge clc 65. So CLC is making 8.70 off from us, on top of the 4.95 fee. This has happened at many of the hotels listed on clc. Booking online on a lot of hotel sites you save more.

I just looked up "Holiday Inn Express - Troy".

Online rate for 1 king bed - non smoking - $84.99 (Monday night rate - not weekend rate)

I'm sure taxes are involved.

Your price above:

$73.70 + $8.00 + $4.95 = $86.65

Where is the 30-40-50% IN SAVINGS????

Again, I'll use mine when I'm traveling for recreational purposes to save money on the $100-$200 a night rooms I stay in. But if I'm out there working, I can find rooms cheaper myself than CLC can.

jj214

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have use the red roof inn Redicard with the FDCC discount. After 10 stays you get a free night. I just used it in Pittsburg, what would have been a 60.00+ stay in a king business, was free. I like getting the USA Today on my doorknob in the morning. I always pick-up the coupon books at rest areas. I try to stay away from independent motels as many of the owners seem to be 1st. generation americans who do not share my need for a clean room. They seem to expect their elderly parents to clean 40 rooms in 4 hours.
Bring your own lightbulbs.
Carry Lysol
Univeral Remote Control with instructions for various brands of TV
Make door hanger sign "late sleeper"
extension cord and adapter.
Large Safety Pin for the curtains that do not shut.
White noise machine do drown out extranious noise.
Flash Light in case of power failure
Smoke and Carbon Monoxide detectors.
Never hesitate to write corporate with complaints or praise. I have received free nights twice after emailing cell phone pictures of mold in bathrooms. I changed rooms that night but still emailed the pictues.
Free wifi at many motels, super 8 and red roof for two. Motel 6 charges a couple of dollars at most, some have it free, some not at all yet.

robh2

Veteran Expediter

Corky

Truckers naked on the bedspread. I am blind lol...