Looking for info on FedExCC Owner-Operators

gordoncooper

Seasoned Expediter
I am new to this arena. I have been hauling for fedex these past few months after a 30 year stint with the army. I have white glove with the radioactive&explosive approvals. I would like to hear about going to owning a rig instead of working as a contractor for the company I now drive for. For the first month I was in a 53' rig hauling from CA to Alaska. But for the past two months I have been in a D unit hauling to all lower 48. Please let me know of your thoughts, Gordon

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I am new to this arena. I have been hauling for fedex these past few months after a 30 year stint with the army. I have white glove with the radioactive&explosive approvals. I would like to hear about going to owning a rig instead of working as a contractor for the company I now drive for. For the first month I was in a 53' rig hauling from CA to Alaska. But for the past two months I have been in a D unit hauling to all lower 48. Please let me know of your thoughts, Gordon

I hate to be the one to tell you gordon,but the chances of you getting your own rig and still being in w/g are slim to none with it likely being none.

There is a waiting list to put trucks on with w/g, and the wait could be years to get into it. And it doesn't matter one bit what amount of training or clearances or experience that you have.

And owning your own truck doesn't get you away from being a contractor,as all owner operators are contracted to FECC.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Stick with driving for a owner for the time being. IF things improve over the next year or two then I would look into it. It you are not happy with the owner you have look into others. While your current owner might be just fine not every owner is a "fit" for every driver. Shop around.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
. . . Please let me know of your thoughts, Gordon

1st thought: Welcome to EO

2nd thought: Don't use your actual name as a screen name unless you want your owner to know exactly what you are planning and you want FECC to know your every post.

3rd thought: Don't be in a hurry to become an owner when you can learn and perfect this business first on someone elses dime.

4th thought: CA to Alaska? Holy Cxxx! After that the lower 48 must be a piece of cake.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Training, experience and clearances don't matter nearly as much as the color of the truck. If it's red, you're golden.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well here is some advice, if you are h*ll bent on being an owner, start learning what it takes to run that truck from the owners point of veiw. Go through and do the same due diligence as you would if you are entering the business for the first time, set your goals, budget, get your tools in place (accountant, lawyer) and then once that is done start looking around for a truck. Talk to FedEx and see what they will accept because there are a number of FedEx trucks sitting looking for new owners, they will most likely kick an older truck out of the fleet.

Now that is all good stuff but I would think about this; If you are making money in this economy right now and happy with things, meaning that the owner is doing most of the work and having most of the risk, why not stay exactly where you are at. It won't hurt you, you already know the owner, you already know the truck, so why go through the hassle?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
My wife and I are in the process of making the change from contract driver to owner operator.
We started out driving the red trucks, switched to a small fleet owner and ran T-Val for @ 8 months.
I have been self employed for 23 years and already know how to run a business as far as accounting and tax laws.
We just purchased our first truck. A 2006 Class 8 Freightliner Columbia dry van. I am picking it up on 10/21.
Before you go out and spend your money do some research on what it will actually cost to run that truck. IRP tags are @ $1200. A good PM every 15000 miles is @ $250. Truck washes are @ $50. Don't forget insurances, Quallcom fees, installation fees, tires, brakes, etc. The list goes on and on.
Check with your recruiter and make sure you get a letter of intent from them allowing you to bring the truck into the fleet. And ask about age of the truck and how long they will let it stay in the fleet.
Since you have 30 years military I would hope you are pulling a good retirement check. That will help you out in the long run when things are slow.
Good luck.