Looking for a Used Expediter Truck? Consider This...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I think we all agree - this truck isn't for everyone. The point is - it's an exceptional rig and above standard truck...for someone who wants all the extra tools and features. They'll pay for that luxury.

A fool may do so but not someone who is accurately tuned into the used truck marketplace.

Diane and I recently sold our truck and it was every bit the "luxury truck" as the one featured here. To set the price, we accepted our truck dealer's recommendation, listed it in the EO Classifieds, entertained two offers that were received and had the truck sold within a week of publicly listing it. Had we asked for a higher price because we believed people would love the truck they way we loved it, that truck would likely still be sitting on the lot.

It has been said that a sucker is born every minute. With that in mind, we considered putting our well-maintained luxury truck on a highly-visible lot in Indiana where lots of expediters pass through so that one of those suckers would see and fall in love with the truck and pay an above-market price. We chose to sell the truck at the market price instead because we wanted to be done with the sale and focus entirely on our new business. Had we chosen the other route, we would not have been looking for a buyer, we would have been waiting for the fool.

Fools are out there and the Caffee's may indeed get their price. If they have the time and inclination to wait for the right person to come along, the strategy is not unreasonable. They can always sell the truck for a lower price later. If you have the time, why not wait for the fool to come along who is ready to be parted with his money?

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One drawback to selling a custom truck, car, house or custom anything, the pool of potential buyers is very small.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I don't mean to be overly harsh by using the word "fool." Whoever buys the truck will think himself or herself to be getting full value for the money paid. One would not pay the price if that was not the case.

Deville

Not a Member
I think we all agree - this truck isn't for everyone. The point is - it's an exceptional rig and above standard truck...for someone who wants all the extra tools and features. They'll pay for that luxury.

There are Cadillacs and Kia's - they both take you to the same place - right? Some prefer Caddy's others Kia's.

I would rather be in a Benz, but for a work truck I want something economical, comfortable and reliable. Because at the end of the day I can get the same results and income for a truck well under $50,000 with less miles when compared to the Caffee rig. Obviously I don't want or need any of the bells and whistles. Just a mattress and a microwave.

I like living nomadic from time to time makes me apperciate home that much more.

Last edited:

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I would rather be in a Benz, but for a work truck I want somthing economical, comfortable and reliable. Because at the end of the day I can get the same results and income for a truck well under $50,000 with less miles when compared to the Caffee rig.

That's why there are Kia's and Cadillacs. You can drive what works for you.

Deville

Not a Member
I don't mean to be overly harsh by using the word "fool." Whoever buys the truck will think himself or herself to be getting full value for the money paid. One would not pay the price if that was not the case.

There is an age old saying a fool and his money are soon parted. It wouldn't have stuck so long if it weren't true.

That being said a brand new Peterbilt day cab, class 8, automatic, Thermo king refer, box and liftgate is over $150,000. Dealer has told people that due to more federal emission regs prices will go up every year for the next 5 years.

So when compared to the Caffee rig it seems like a deal, and i'm sure they will negotiate on a price.

My business model doesn't allow me to pay anything like that for a single truck. As some one stated earlier you could get 3 nicely equipped pre-owned straights for the same money and achieve the same goals.

The person(s) buying atruck like this must have experiance. they need to know the business and how it works, the catch is most people in this business would know that this is a dying industry and the return on the investment will be very hard to recoup and most if not all would pass.

But, if the truck is sold to an inexperienced newbie, which IMO would just be wrong then that old saying a fool and his money is soon parted is valid.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It would be VERY difficult to find a used straight that has been cared for as well as the Caffee's truck has been. Whether or not the same results could be achieved with a lessor truck depends on what you are trying to do and how you want to do it.

As for me, I am leaning towards not spending ANY money on a truck, or trucks. From what I am seeing now, it is quickly reaching the point where it is not worth the expense or effort.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
But, if the truck is sold to an inexperienced newbie, which IMO would just be wrong then that old saying a fool and his money is soon parted is valid.

Now, you're being a little presumptuous. You've stated your business model, which is great - but there are others who have had fantastic success doing it differently. Fundamentally, however - they maybe similar. I've been in this business since the early 90's and always are amazed at how people make their success happen. Equally, on a frequent basis we've all see people fail. My advice is always watch the successful ones and learn from them.

Deville

Not a Member
Now, you're being a little presumptuous. You've stated your business model, which is great - but there are others who have had fantastic success doing it differently. Fundamentally, however - they maybe similar. I've been in this business since the early 90's and always are amazed at how people make their success happen. Equally, on a frequent basis we've all see people fail. My advice is always watch the successful ones and learn from them.

While I agree with that to a degree imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. No one walking off the street should start off in a $150,000 truck. That is a recipe for bankruptcy.

I've been in the trucking business for nearly 22 years 10 of those with FDCC and I have reached the point that people especially the newbs with less then a year experience just hanging on look at me with a puzzled look at ask me how I have lasted so long. So hopefully I have been able to spread my knowledge to those people and helped them succeed or helped them realize that trucking isn't for them and to cut their loses while they can.

Last edited:

wimpy007

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
US Army
Most, not all people enter Expediting thinking its a paid vacation, see the country, etc. you know the rest. no one tell them about all night runs, dispatch on the CQ saying your running late, and the long wait for a reload. I suspect about the end of month 3 or 4, the newness is gone and they are too.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I see a new, lower price.

The truck isn't overpriced.
The potential buyers are under compensated.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Look at the 9th listing down under new listings an 07 Freightliner red with 24' box and liftgate looks like a good deal on that one!