log question

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
if you are driving with aperson and he just has a temp,you will have to log his miles while you are on duty.this means no 24 hour operation.If he drives 11 hours,you will have to show working that 11 hours,so therfore,you would only have 3 hours to drive.The only advantage you will have is the truck can be driven 14 hours instead of 11

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Dont forget you must have a log for the seven days before you take off you are supposed to show any work no matter who it was for.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
if you are driving with aperson and he just has a temp,you will have to log his miles while you are on duty.this means no 24 hour operation.If he drives 11 hours,you will have to show working that 11 hours,so therfore,you would only have 3 hours to drive.The only advantage you will have is the truck can be driven 14 hours instead of 11

Steve is RIGHT on the money.

termite289

Expert Expediter
IF you take a 10 hour brake, then the senior driver drives for 11 hours, while the rookie sleeps, you then can allow the rookie to drive 11 hours after you, but you will burn through your 70 in just a few days working 22 hours a day.
and the rookie will probably get tired of sleeping 20 hours at a time. but if you had a hot load that just had to go, and you can sit there in the passengers seat for 11 hours after you drove for 11. then truck goes down for 10, then you drive for 11, and sit there for 11. get it?? but you would use 60 hours in 4 days, so you'd have to restart every 5th day or so running like that.

Last edited:

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
not sure if its different in different states but when I trained for my CDL-A in January my instructor never logged. I had to log but he didnt even bring a log book. This was in Ga we didnt get stopped so not sure if its the right way to do things or not but he was up-front in the cab at the time.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
if you had a temporary liscense,the law is much different than if you hold a cdl and are getting extra training
when you only have a temp liscense,the senior driver cant sleep while you are driving,therefore your only going to get 14 hours driving time between you and your partner

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
not sure if its different in different states but when I trained for my CDL-A in January my instructor never logged. I had to log but he didnt even bring a log book. This was in Ga we didnt get stopped so not sure if its the right way to do things or not but he was up-front in the cab at the time.

Did you go out of state?was that in a driving school?rules on instructor are different then

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
IF you take a 10 hour brake, then the senior driver drives for 11 hours, while the rookie sleeps, you then can allow the rookie to drive 11 hours after you, but you will burn through your 70 in just a few days working 22 hours a day.
and the rookie will probably get tired of sleeping 20 hours at a time. but if you had a hot load that just had to go, and you can sit there in the passengers seat for 11 hours after you drove for 11. then truck goes down for 10, then you drive for 11, and sit there for 11. get it?? but you would use 60 hours in 4 days, so you'd have to restart every 5th day or so running like that.

no way,lead driver must be awake while he drives,so if lead goes 11 hrs while temp holder is asleep, there are only 3 more hours the lead has on his 14 hr clock

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Termite has it right. As long as the guy with the permit drives second it works. The first driver can be on the bottom line as long as he wants as long as he takes 10 before driving again.

witness23

Veteran Expediter
Termite is correct along with Highwaystar. The regs say that you can "work" (on-duty not driving) but cannot drive after 14 hours until you have had an 10 hour break.

Look at it this way. If you drove locally you could drive for 11 hours, after that 11 hours of driving you were back at the terminal running a tow motor for, say.....8 hours (past the 14 hour rule) but as long as you don't drive you are good. You just can't drive until you have had an 10 hour break.

working on the tow-motor = sitting in the passenger seat.

termite289

Expert Expediter
so to answer your original question, while rookie is driving, you the senior are to be on line 4 sitting in the passenger seat beside him. if the rookie is on line 4, at a shipper or receiver, you the senior driver can be on line 2 getting your rest, so that you can roll as soon as your 10 hour brake is over. he, the rookie, can take his 10 hour brake while you drive your 11, then he can drive his 11 while you again go to line 4 and sit in the passenger seat beside him again.
no wonder so many get caught when they try to cheat on a log book, you must know how it is supposed to work, before you ever consider cheating.
lets say that for example you have a delivery, and a pick up in close proximity. and the rookie drives into the delivery, the senior driver goes to bed while the rookie take 8 hours to get unloaded, then the rookie needs to drive over to the shipper, 30 min. so the senior driver gets up, line 4 to the passenger seat, while the rookie drives to the shipper, senior goes back to bed for 2 hours, then the trailer is loaded, and it is time to roll. now the senior driver has just split logged a 10 hour brake in the sleeper, and can drive 11 hours, because the 2 hours and 30 min after his 8 hour brake ended still leave 11 hours and 30 min of available work time on his 14. so the rookie then goes to bed, after all that unloading and loading, and sleeps while senior drives his 11, then the senior moves to line 4, and lets the rookie drive his 11, then they both go back down for 10.
see it isn't complicated at all, once you read and understand the regs.