Log Books

MissouriNewbie

Seasoned Expediter
Well in my case wont have that problem goin to school to be a computer programmer and goin back after that to become a network technician lol. Best thing to do is back up the file with a floppy or CD

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
>No one is gonna question a recap with 4 days driven out of
>the month. Like Highway said... skip it. I don't use recap,
>and don't plan on it unless I get in a serious slugging
>streak.
>
>-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!
You'd better be able to prove what you did the previous 7 days when you start driving . All compensated work must be logged even if it isn't truck related .

EagleRiverWI

Seasoned Expediter
Once or twice in the last 4 years I held my computer ( or my printed logs) out the driver door and let them look. At other times, when outside the truck, I opened the passenger door and let them look at the computer on the passenger seat.
You need a printer in order to send in your logs. You also need the right print module from http://www.driversdailylog.com/index.htm
to print logs to match the company logs.
My printer/ scanner is broke now, so I am using a paper log book until I get home. The scanner comes in real handy at times. Its nice to be able to make copies of bills when transfering loads.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I think Steve is right. I have always felt one log for one month is the rule.Guess I need to spend a $1.50.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We've used Drivers Daily Log for 4 years as a back up. When we did paper logs, and now even using the electronic logs we still use it. I guess it's habit, but it's saved us from making mistakes, and it's easier to look at than all those "time and number" lines that the electronic logs have.

I guess this is the gabby way of saying we like it. :+

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not sure how the burden of proof would work here. Can you prove you did nothing? The fact is that the recap is just not useful in a roadside inspection. The inspecting officer isn't just going to look at it and trust that it accurately reflects what's in the book. He's going to review each day and check your math. My company asks us to do the recap. I think it's so we can let them know when hours are going to be an issue.

DocRushing

Expert Expediter
Nothing in the law requires that each month must get its own logbook --
just as nothing in the law requires that we use the recap.
The one-month "rule" is a general practice --
largely because most of the time in most cases that's a handy way to do it.
The recap is a potentially useful tool -- to help us to avoid breaking the 70-hour rule.
A preference, a general practice, or a company rule is one thing, but a legal requirement is quite different.
Best wishes to all,
Doc.