Load Extra's/Bonuses. Who gets what percentage? Driver/owner split

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Driver/Owner...

Dry Run ($50)
Layovers ($75)
Extra Dollars for deadhead, delivery in offbeat places (Bonus)
Extra Weight (Bonus)
Hand Swap ($25-75)
Detention (by the hour)
Bad Weather Bonus

So as of last week, the driver is off strike and back working. The driver has get a high amount of bonuses lately. With the new deal that we worked out in effect. The driver gets 100% of all bonuses except the dry run. Fees/insurance split 50/50 between owner and driver. We may have to renegotiate as I feel that giving up 100% of all those listed above minus the dry run it is hard to make a decent amount.

Please feel free to let me know if I missed anything additional that dispatch compensates for and I'll add it to the list. I feel I've missed a couple?

Side note: As someone mentioned yesterday fleet owners make their money by volume. I just feel like keeping the driver happy is first priority. I'm willing to settle for this deal as long as the driver can run 1500-2000 miles a week, week after week after week, the minute the driver doesn't want to do that or follow planning business strategy when selecting the profitable loads then it will be time to look for a replacement if that happens. I prefer commitment and someone who can stay on top of the game. I think it is a good investment that pays off and in exchange put high value on the ones keeping the business alive and do what it takes to move ahead with progress. In regards to another thread posted yes the trick is slow and steady 1500 miles a week 52 weeks a year and you're in business. Repetition is key. Some weeks will be more 2000+ and some will be less 1000-1200 but consistency is key. I we didn't have that I would want to move on to something else but I feel at the end of the day there always something to look forward to.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Dry run: should follow your contracted split.

Layovers; """"""""""""""""""

Extra for dh or del in off beat places: """"""""""""""""""""""""""""

Extra weight: """""""""""""""""""""""""

Hand swap: 100% to driver.

Detention: """""""""""""""""""""""

Bad weather: """"""""""""""""""""""

Anything the driver does is 100% everything else costs the owner in some way, shape or form and should follow the contracted split. On discretion, you can vary from the contract when warranted. Just giving all of these in lieu of quitting is not fair. As I stated the owner has costs associated with all the extras mentioned.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Driver/Owner...

Dry Run ($50)
Layovers ($75)
Extra Weight (Bonus)
Hand Swap ($25-75)
Detention (by the hour)
Bad Weather Bonus

First, find a dollar bill somewhere. With that added in, what I'm about to opine will be worth a coffee.

My opinion is dry run, layover and detention are 50/50. They affect both owner and driver equally.

Deadhead is to help cover the costs of the unloaded and otherwise unpaid miles. That's a tougher one. The side paying fuel bears a large expense but the owner also has tires/lubricants/etc. to cover as well. It probably should go 60/40 the same as loaded miles, whichever side gets which.

Extra weight bonus in my opinion is 80% owner as the extra weight primarily causes significant and excessive wear and tear although it will cause increased fuel consumption.

Hand swap is 100% driver unless the swap is being done where the owner happens to be and the owner does part of the work. Then it's split equal to the amount of work each does. In other words, it's all for the driver.

Bad weather bonus is probably the opposite of extra weight. Bad weather will cause some extra wear and tear but mostly it will add a lot more work and stress for the driver.

Now, if you find another dollar you can also add a donut.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Driver/Owner...

Dry Run ($50)
Layovers ($75)
Extra Weight (Bonus)
Hand Swap ($25-75)
Detention (by the hour)
Bad Weather Bonus

So as of last week, the driver is off strike and back working. The driver has get a high amount of bonuses lately. With the new deal that we worked out in effect. The driver gets 100% of all bonuses except the dry run. Fees/insurance split 50/50 between owner and driver. We may have to renegotiate as I feel that giving up 100% of all those listed above minus the dry run it is hard to make a decent amount.

Please feel free to let me know if I missed anything additional that dispatch compensates for and I'll add it to the list. I feel I've missed a couple?

Side note: As someone mentioned yesterday fleet owners make their money by volume. I just feel like keeping the driver happy is first priority. I'm willing to settle for this deal as long as the driver can run 1500-2000 miles a week, week after week after week, the minute the driver doesn't want to do that or follow planning business strategy when selecting the profitable loads then it will be time to look for a replacement if that happens. I prefer commitment and someone who can stay on top of the game. I think it is a good investment that pays off and in exchange put high value on the ones keeping the business alive and do what it takes to move ahead with progress. In regards to another thread posted yes the trick is slow and steady 1500 miles a week 52 weeks a year and you're in business. Repetition is key. Some weeks will be more 2000+ and some will be less 1000-1200 but consistency is key. I we didn't have that I would want to move on to something else but I feel at the end of the day there always something to look forward to.

Why would you agree to this? Your taking all the wrist with buying the truck. I agree with Dynamite 1, and LDB on their statements. No way would I give a driver 100% of the things your giving him or her. This also tells your driver to ask for a bonus on every load which will cause the driver to turn down more loads. I have seen that happen with our drivers so bad that we had to put a stop to drivers asking for bonus. One driver had a 23% load except rate. I seen a driver turn down a 2500 mile load because he wanted a $500.00 bonus because it went to New York City. Good luck with things as I think things have to be fair for both people and yours is not fair to you. That is my two cents. May I ask what company your unit is on with?

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
I have posted this in the past and people say I'm crazy! I think the owner is entitled to a share of everything even hand load/unload. I have driven for 5 owners since 1992,and that was the deal. I never signed a contract with anybody,and never had any disputes over money,except the last owner,he promised me 65%,and then took money out,I needed to work so I stayed a year and then retired. Every owner I have worked with gave me 100% of hand load/unload,but I would not have complained had they not,because my deal was 60/40 split and I pay fuel. Of course that was me, and my thinking,whatever both parties agree is what flies. The owner has a large investment in the equipment,and is entitled to a share of everything that truck earns. Say the load pays 50.00 to unload,that's 30.00 to the driver and 20.00 to the owner at a 60/40 split. If the owner didn't supply me with that equipment, I wouldn't make that 30.00. Like I said all my owners gave me 100% of any labor pay,my point is, in my eyes it would not be unfair if they had not. If you are wondering why 5 owners? Expediting was a love/hate thing for me,I came and went over those years,owners always hated to see me leave. In fact they would call me, when ever they had an empty truck. I don't mean to brag,but I did my job, and took pride in it. If your being paid a percentage of the pie,there has to be a pie to split,so I just tried to run as smart as I could.

I should have mentioned, I never had an owner charge me a fee either. I paid tolls,owner paid Qualcomm etc.

Last edited:

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for all the feedback. Would like to get a couple more opinions.

I like the idea from LDB

dry run, layover and detention are 50/50

So here is my new proposed plan in order for the driver.

Option 1

Dry Run ($50) 50/50
Layovers ($75) 50/50

Bonus for deadhead, delivery in offbeat places. 100% to driver
(at owners discretion providing the driver made a good decision based on being profitable between both parties)

Detention (by the hour) 50/50
Hand Swap ($25-75) 100% to driver
Extra Weight (Bonus) 50/50 (to keep it less complicated)
Bad Weather Bonus 100% to driver

driver owner split fees. $45/$45 Total $90 per week for cargo van fees.

Option 2

Owner pays all fees except $21 per week for driver occupation insurance
Driver and owner split all extras 60/40 with the exception of hand swap which driver gets 100%.

Last edited:

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anything else extra that dispatch can offer on top of regular load? Trying to be as thorough as possible.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Thanks for all the feedback. Would like to get a couple more opinions.

I like the idea from LDB

dry run, layover and detention are 50/50

So here is my new proposed plan in order for the driver.

Option 1

Dry Run ($50) 50/50
Layovers ($75) 50/50

Bonus for deadhead, delivery in offbeat places. 100% to driver
(at owners discretion providing the driver made a good decision based on being profitable between both parties)

Detention (by the hour) 50/50
Hand Swap ($25-75) 100% to driver
Extra Weight (Bonus) 50/50 (to keep it less complicated)
Bad Weather Bonus 100% to driver

driver owner split fees. $45/$45 Total $90 per week for cargo van fees.

Option 2

Owner pays all fees except $21 per week for driver occupation insurance
Driver and owner split all extras 60/40 with the exception of hand swap which driver gets 100%.

I would pay this driver 60% if he pays the fuel with 100% of FSC and hand load going to the driver. Everything else is 60/40. Hey Davekc what your take on this bad weather bonus? LOL

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would pay this driver 60% if he pays the fuel with 100% of FSC and hand load going to the driver. Everything else is 60/40. Hey Davekc what your take on this bad weather bonus? LOL

That means the driver would get 60% of .70 per mile and a extra .15 cents a mile for FSC. Doesn't sound fair to the owner. Right now we do 60% to driver 40% to owner. That is split at the rate of .85 cents a mile total payout with contract rate and fuel surcharge.
The difference is .51 and .57 if I gave the driver 60% of .70 plus all of surcharge.

Unfortunately rates/surcharge went down. I was running for .97 cents a mile with hazmat before I got a driver to take over.

And I was just trying to think of every possible thing that dispatch would add in extra for load. I guess that technically qualifies as a standard load bonus, same as running a load someone in the middle of nowhere where dispatch offers a bonus to get you to go, or perhaps a overnight load where they entice you to run late at night.

Last edited:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I have posted this in the past and people say I'm crazy! I think the owner is entitled to a share of everything even hand load/unload. I have driven for 5 owners since 1992,and that was the deal. I never signed a contract with anybody,and never had any disputes over money,except the last owner,he promised me 65%,and then took money out,I needed to work so I stayed a year and then retired. Every owner I have worked with gave me 100% of hand load/unload,but I would not have complained had they not,because my deal was 60/40 split and I pay fuel. Of course that was me, and my thinking,whatever both parties agree is what flies. The owner has a large investment in the equipment,and is entitled to a share of everything that truck earns. Say the load pays 50.00 to unload,that's 30.00 to the driver and 20.00 to the owner at a 60/40 split. If the owner didn't supply me with that equipment, I wouldn't make that 30.00. Like I said all my owners gave me 100% of any labor pay,my point is, in my eyes it would not be unfair if they had not. If you are wondering why 5 owners? Expediting was a love/hate thing for me,I came and went over those years,owners always hated to see me leave. In fact they would call me, when ever they had an empty truck. I don't mean to brag,but I did my job, and took pride in it. If your being paid a percentage of the pie,there has to be a pie to split,so I just tried to run as smart as I could.

I should have mentioned, I never had an owner charge me a fee either. I paid tolls,owner paid Qualcomm etc.

What if it's a 40/60 split? Should the owner get 60 of a hand unload? Being that the truck is the reason for that hand unload, is the truck or owner going to help unload it? Your opinion has flaws. I don't even think the company should get a percentage of hand unload, among other things.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
That means the driver would get 60% of .70 per mile and a extra .15 cents a mile for FSC. Doesn't sound fair to the owner. Right now we do 60% to driver 40% to owner. That is split at the rate of .85 cents a mile total payout with contract rate and fuel surcharge.
The difference is .51 and .57 if I gave the driver 60% of .70 plus all of surcharge.

Unfortunately rates/surcharge went down. I was running for .97 cents a mile with hazmat before I got a driver to take over.

And I was just trying to think of every possible thing that dispatch would add in extra for load. I guess that technically qualifies as a standard load bonus, same as running a load someone in the middle of nowhere where dispatch offers a bonus to get you to go, or perhaps a overnight load where they entice you to run late at night.

Surcharge should go to the one paying fuel, lest the shoe be on the other foot, and you share your surcharge with the driver. Of course, I've already shared my opinion if the surcharge is high, at the cost of the linehaul.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No offense to anyone, although it probably will, but anyone taking any portion of hand load money other than the one doing the work is a thief. That includes the carrier. The 60/40 split is a good starting point but there are various things that just don't properly fit 60/40 if one is being fair.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The hand swap and detention pay rarely come into the equation. I'd say the dry run, layover and load bonuses are a lot more common! ;)

I think 100% to the driver for hand swap is pretty standard from what I've heard from a lot of fleet owners on here. I feel like each carrier should have a advisable recommended pay scale to give the fleet owners so they can conduct their business in the most fair way possible it would saved a lot of arguments and create what would be known as a industry standard. I know on the next driver I will have a contact and things will be set in stone from the beginning. I guess sometimes you learn the hard way in a process of trial and error.

Last edited:

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
What if it's a 40/60 split? Should the owner get 60 of a hand unload? Being that the truck is the reason for that hand unload, is the truck or owner going to help unload it? Your opinion has flaws. I don't even think the company should get a percentage of hand unload, among other things.

Like I said, every owner gave me 100% of hand load/unload, even the one who did not stick to his promise of 65%. I would not have complained if they had not though. I worked without a contract,the the deal I made with every owner I worked with was a split of truck revenue,weather it was 60/40 or whatever. I made good money no complaints from me. Even without getting that hand load/unload pay I would have done well. It's not like were talking a lot of money here, 99% of loads are fork truck. Hand load/unload pops up every now and then. I don't blame anyone who expects 100% of hand load/unload,but me myself,I see no harm in the owner expecting a percentage of everything there truck earns. I agreed to a split and when I got more than I expected,I call the owner and he would say it was that hand load/unload pay,I would say thank you, I didn't expect it because we agreed to 60/40 split.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is a difference between truck pay and people pay though, at least to me. Time pay is the third side of the pay triangle. To me, each of the three sides has to be considered separately as they have different criteria and compensate different entities in different ways.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

No need to go into bad weather, so no bonus. :cool:

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
No offense to anyone, although it probably will, but anyone taking any portion of hand load money other than the one doing the work is a thief. That includes the carrier. The 60/40 split is a good starting point but there are various things that just don't properly fit 60/40 if one is being fair.

Leo, I agree with you on that as an owner. Why anyone would take a cut of any loading or unloading is beyond me. The driver does the work and should get 100% of it period.