List Your Smartphone

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Well as most people know I was a die hard crackberry guy. Last on was the Bold 9930. Good phone, It had a touch screen and a real keyboard. Best for email in my opinion.

Just got the iphone 4s. Only been 4 days. Lots of cool stuff, but it seems like it misses a lot of things I loved on the blackberry. The simplest thing was at night you can set the ringer to phone only. This way you dont get alerts for every email, text, facebook post etc., but it will ring is someone calls. On the iphone you have to shut off notifications on each item and turn them all back on in the morning. Not so high tech to me. But the apps are really cool if you are into that.

My other fear on the iphone is it so easy to break. Why is the back made of glass????? Also hard to find a small good belt clip like the blackberrys. You have to buy something like an otterbox. Nice hardware, but it looks like you have a military computer on your hip. Doesn't work well with a suit, lol.

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Mine is the Motorola Atrix 4G model MB860. Went with it because I was due for an upgrade and this was able to generate it's own wifi hotspot. Also got the webdock that went along with it.

Of course, they already have an Atrix 2.

Mine's the same John. I have to turn off each one individually. If I find a better way, I'll pass it along.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Yeah that is a nice case but it is still pretty big and industrial. Also I dont think the clip rotates.

Standard Universal Sport Rugged Pouch by Ballistic Case Co.

I really want something like this, but with this one you can't have a case on the iphone. Good carrier, but doesn't protect the phone when it is out of the case. Wish it was magnet lock versus velcro too.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have an iPhone 3Gs and a Motorola Triumph (Android) that until recently was using when in the US. Now it's at home streaming Sirius through a Monster Bluetooth speaker in the kitchen (very cool)
My better half has a Blackberry Torch paired to a BB Playbook. Great products.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why do I use them? Because they work. No need for me to have a laptop in the truck. And if BB opens up the Android market to their phones like its doing with the Playbook next month I'll be back to a RIM product faster than you can say "Large double double".

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I have a EVO 4G, kind of a dinosaur compared to some of the new phones. Only a year and a half old.<br />
<br />
I got an Ipad2 from Santa, so I needed WiFi for it. I first tried a Verizon 4G connector, but my printer wouldn't connect to it. $50 per month.<br />
<br />
I called Sprint, my provider for EVO, about the WiFi hotbot for $29.95 per month for 5 gig. I asked if I would be able to monitor it separately from my phones unlimited data. Was told yes. Got it turned on, everything connected.<br />
<br />
Went to web to check on usage last week, couldn't find the separation. Showed almost 3 gig total. So I called customer service.<br />
<br />
Apparently Sprint has an issue, a memo dated Nov 17 or 19 as read to me by the rep states that Sprint currently has no way of separating what the phone uses and what devices use thru the hotspot. So Sprint cannot charge for going over usage. The memo did go on to say they were working on it, but no date was given, except customers subscribing to hotspot would be notified when it happens.<br />
<br />
So, at the moment, it is unlimited for $29.95. Where we live, we get 4G. The WiFi speeds are pretty good. Played with it on 3g, slower, but ok as long as your not downloading a movie from netflix.<br />
<br />
When my phone was "rooted", I was able to do WiFi hotspot for free with a app from the market. Got tired of messing with the different ways to do updates, so "unrooted" the phone.<br />
<br />
I'm thinking about the iPhone 4s since I'm eligible for an upgrade. Kinda hard to give up this big screen on the EVO.<br />
<br />
Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's another nice thing about the Playbook. You do a "bridge" to your phone and use it for 3G when there's no wifi available. No extra charge.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
That's another nice thing about the Playbook. You do a "bridge" to your phone and use it for 3G when there's no wifi available. No extra charge.

What's a "bridge"? Is that like teathering with a cable? I do that with my laptop and PDA net app. That's free. Haven't figure out how to do it with the iPad. Haven't found an app yet.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What's a "bridge"? Is that like teathering with a cable? I do that with my laptop and PDA net app. That's free. Haven't figure out how to do it with the iPad. Haven't found an app yet.

I guess it's like tethering but it's done through Bluetooth. I think a lot of carriers are cracking down on tethering that's why I like BB's solution.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Yes it's specific to the Blackberry it's called "Blackberry Bridge" and comes pre installed on the Playbook and a free download for a BB phone.

Ah, must be something new. Wasn't available when we had our BB's. We had to use PDA net.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ah, must be something new. Wasn't available when we had our BB's. We had to use PDA net.

Yup Ron it was released when the Playbook came out. I'm looking forward to the new BB OS too. It works great on the Playbook.
(OVM's head must've exploded by now)