"Like"

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
What gave you that impression?

All I said was I don't get the facebook crap to begin with, maybe it is like drugs, your friends are doing heroin so you just have to too. It is like texting, I have a friends daughter who can't put her phone down when we come over there because everyone is texting someone in the clique crowd.
Nothing I do is because 'everyone else' is doing it - I've always preferred writing to phoning. It's better because a letter [or facebook] is something you do when you're in the mood, and you never get caught in the shower, or the middle of dinner, or a nap.

Maybe it is the fact that I feel snubbed - I didn't get invited to that "Wedding" so I am upset about that.
But I sure enjoy the photos - the kids crack me up.

Well see Cheri, I use it for something other than keeping in touch with others. It is a tool but not one for the family. I feel if some one has to use the Internet to 'reach out' to family members, then they are lazy. I have a sister-in-law who is aghast that my wife doesn't use her email to keep in contact with her (even though her husband works down the street and they live 30 miles away) and we (like Ragman) are old fashioned and like the human interaction between people so we have told everyone, if you want to talk to us, call us.
Lazy? When you've got dozens of cousins, phone calls are out of the question, lol. And I like keeping an eye on both my daughters' friends, too - I mean the ones they went to school with, that I don't see anymore.

If there is something to share, like photos of my last adventure across China in my little truck, then I post them either on my site or send them to my friends and family via email.
I have a LOT of family, and they're all busy with their own families - aunts, uncles, cousins I actually see maybe once a year, but I know how they're doing in the meantime.

I pay enough for my phone, so I expect people to call me. If I don't want to talk, I tell them - "don't want to talk right now" and tell them I will call them back.

See the other thing that I don't like is the need to give out personal info. Facebook and other things are too personal without being personal - you can't control the information yourself. You type something (like here) and it is forever somewhere in the great big world of the internet. Some people get carried away with this crap and then when something happens (like being robbed or hurt) to that person, they cry about it and make it out like they are victims. It is like I don't speak about what I own on an open forum as others do, just a bit but nothing like others who tell about their firearms and other stuff.
It requires common sense, but you have that, and those who don't make for some OMG! laughs, too.

That I agree with.
Wishful thinking - as my sigline points out.

Thanks Dale for the correction.
Wish someone could correct the software that pops up with "The message you entered is too short", because it is not, really. :(

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
cherri wrote - a great way for us to keep up with the family and friends we seldom get to see.

I prefer the old fashioned way. It's called a telephone! :eek:

I never thought I'd hear the telephone described as 'old fashioned', lol. ;) And, Ragman? Writing is even older than that.
PS Love the new little 'ragman' drawing! :D

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Excuse my ignorance? What is the 'Like' thing and the 'Share' thing all about? If you press 'Like', where does it go? Does it connect you somehow with Facebook? If you press 'Share', what are you sharing, and with who, and where?
Argh, it's rough being technotarded :eek:

But...... when you click 'like' or 'share', where does your liking or sharing GO? Share with who, where? If you click 'like', does it open up a FB thing and make you sign in... what?? :confused:

So it is just an internal thing then? It doesn't whoosh off and get posted somewhere else also? And it has zero to do with FB?

Ok, so are you telling me that any post on EO which someone has 'liked', gets posted to a public facebook page? And if that is correct, is that proper? I mean... do the TOS give EO permission to post members' comments elsewhere? Just because someone might choose to be a member of EO and post a comment on their forum doesn't necessarily mean that member will also want it plastered on Facebook.

Maybe Lawrence will chime in on this and explain this feature.

Hello Lawrence --- Are you home?

Lets just hope it is an Internal thingy
LOL

:D

I think that's the way it works. BUT see EO has their own facebook page so no permission is needed and if anyone needs permission it is some other site who posts EO content without permission.

This is correct!

"Originally Posted by EnglishLady

I believe when you hit "Like" it is credited to the Poster on their Profile page."

chillout
"This is correct! "

Can you see that Chillout or any other admin did not answer the simple question from the technotard OP? Why is it so dang hard to get an answer around here? Chillout saying 'this is correct' does not tell me the other thoughts posted were not correct and that this is the only place it goes. Obviously greg334 knew that it was a clarification, but as the OP, I did not know this.
I eventually went to FB to check it out for myself, and thank you, yes! The various 'likes' are NOT on there, so I guess Chillout was trying to say, 'this is correct, and this is the only place it goes'. There, was that so difficult?

chillout

Administrator
Staff member
On Time Media Staff
pjjjj, I answered what I knew: that the 'like' was an internal thing. I have no idea about 'share'. I'm sorry I was not specific enough for you about it not going to facebook......

The 'like' on the EO open forums not only shows 'like' on the post that you like, but also on your profile - how many 'likes' you have given, and also received. While this is 'similar' to the 'likes' on facebook, and while EO does have a facebook page, the two kinds of 'likes' are in no way connected.

I still don't know about 'share'.

Better? :D

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
pjjjj, I answered what I knew: that the 'like' was an internal thing. I have no idea about 'share'. I'm sorry I was not specific enough for you about it not going to facebook......

The 'like' on the EO open forums not only shows 'like' on the post that you like, but also on your profile - how many 'likes' you have given, and also received. While this is 'similar' to the 'likes' on facebook, and while EO does have a facebook page, the two kinds of 'likes' are in no way connected.

Thanks for clearing that up......I hadda "like" this one!! :D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Wish someone could correct the software that pops up with "The message you entered is too short", because it is not, really. :(
Actually, is really is too short. If you quote someone, even if you fill their Quote Box with your own text, it's only what you write outside of the Quote Box that the software can pick up on and account for.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
.....the two kinds of 'likes' are in no way connected.

Yes, thank you. I would hope though, that the owners of a site would know what exactly is going on with the features they allow on their site? (ie 'share')?

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Actually, is really is too short. If you quote someone, even if you fill their Quote Box with your own text, it's only what you write outside of the Quote Box that the software can pick up on and account for.

That is obvious (to those who have tried to quote someone without saying much afterward), but it would still be nice if fewer characters were acceptable... sometimes one just wants to <snort> or something, instead of writing a sentence. Ya know? :D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That is obvious (to those who have tried to quote someone without saying much afterward), but it would still be nice if fewer characters were acceptable... sometimes one just wants to <snort> or something, instead of writing a sentence. Ya know? :D
Unlike skirts, forum replies can be too short.

chillout

Administrator
Staff member
On Time Media Staff
Yes, thank you. I would hope though, that the owners of a site would know what exactly is going on with the features they allow on their site? (ie 'share')?

When I become an owner, I am sure they will tell me everything! Until then, I just try to do the best I can with the info I am given... :p

Chill

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
When I become an owner, I am sure they will tell me everything! Until then, I just try to do the best I can with the info I am given... :p

Chill

My questions were not specifically addressed to you, or anyone in particular. Perhaps the owner, Lawrence, could chime in on those occasions when you are not privy to the information being sought by a member. Thanks for your help chillout.

Godwindaniel

Seasoned Expediter
That is based on the website, some websites are having bookmarking plugins which helps users to add bookmark the particular page from the users account. Some sites having "Facebook/Twitter like button" this will helps the users to be a member of their Facebook/Twitter business page.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Well, then, maybe we need a "snort" button in addition to the "like" button.