"Like"

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Excuse my ignorance? What is the 'Like' thing and the 'Share' thing all about? If you press 'Like', where does it go? Does it connect you somehow with Facebook? If you press 'Share', what are you sharing, and with who, and where?
Argh, it's rough being technotarded :eek:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The like thing is the like thing on Facebook. On the other sites I work on, we all agreed to refuse any and all things to do with facebook, it has taken away from those sites in more ways than what it appears to. I don't get the facebook crap to begin with, maybe it is like drugs, your friends are doing heroin so you just have to too.

The share thing is sharing with an indexing service, like Delicious or [URL="http://www.stumbleupon.com/"]Stumbleupon[/URL] where people can tell others what they have 'bookmarked' for their enjoyment. There are about a couple hundred of those things and they produce some traffic.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
The like thing is the like thing on Facebook. On the other sites I work on, we all agreed to refuse any and all things to do with facebook, it has taken away from those sites in more ways than what it appears to. I don't get the facebook crap to begin with, maybe it is like drugs, your friends are doing heroin so you just have to too.

The share thing is sharing with an indexing service, like Delicious or [URL="http://www.stumbleupon.com/"]Stumbleupon[/URL] where people can tell others what they have 'bookmarked' for their enjoyment. There are about a couple hundred of those things and they produce some traffic.

But...... when you click 'like' or 'share', where does your liking or sharing GO? Share with who, where? If you click 'like', does it open up a FB thing and make you sign in... what?? :confused:

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
I use "Like" if I find something funny, but don't want to post "LOL" as it would spoil the thread or I will use "Like" if I agree with a post and do not feel I need to add anything further.

I believe when you hit "Like" it is credited to the Poster on their Profile page.

:D

Last edited:

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
So it is just an internal thing then? It doesn't whoosh off and get posted somewhere else also? And it has zero to do with FB?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think it gets posted to EO's facebook page. the share thing gets shared on the indexing sites.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
I think it gets posted to EO's facebook page. the share thing gets shared on the indexing sites.

Ok, so are you telling me that any post on EO which someone has 'liked', gets posted to a public facebook page? And if that is correct, is that proper? I mean... do the TOS give EO permission to post members' comments elsewhere? Just because someone might choose to be a member of EO and post a comment on their forum doesn't necessarily mean that member will also want it plastered on Facebook.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Maybe Lawrence will chime in on this and explain this feature.

Hello Lawrence --- Are you home?

Last edited:

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Ok, so are you telling me that any post on EO which someone has 'liked', gets posted to a public facebook page? And if that is correct, is that proper? I mean... do the TOS give EO permission to post members' comments elsewhere? Just because someone might choose to be a member of EO and post a comment on their forum doesn't necessarily mean that member will also want it plastered on Facebook.

Oh, thank you EnglishLady :rolleyes:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think that's the way it works. BUT see EO has their own facebook page so no permission is needed and if anyone needs permission it is some other site who posts EO content without permission.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Jeez, Mr Grumpypants, did one of your friends whiz in your Cheerios, or what?
Facebook is a great way for us to keep up with the family and friends we seldom get to see. [It's not like they'd be writing letters and sending photos, otherwise, right?] My boss likes to post short videos of music, and I've heard quite a bit of good stuff that way, and my family posts local news links - it helps us feel less isolated, away from them all.
And if "like" cuts down on the need for redundant posts, that's a good thing, IMO.
Now, where's that "dislike" button? ;)

The share thing is sharing with an indexing service, like Delicious or Stumbleupon where people can tell others what they have 'bookmarked' for their enjoyment. There are about a couple hundred of those things and they produce some traffic.

That one I don't do - I find enough ways to waste time already, lol.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
cherri wrote - a great way for us to keep up with the family and friends we seldom get to see.

I prefer the old fashioned way. It's called a telephone! :eek:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Jeez, Mr Grumpypants, did one of your friends whiz in your Cheerios, or what?

What gave you that impression?

All I said was I don't get the facebook crap to begin with, maybe it is like drugs, your friends are doing heroin so you just have to too. It is like texting, I have a friends daughter who can't put her phone down when we come over there because everyone is texting someone in the clique crowd.

Maybe it is the fact that I feel snubbed - I didn't get invited to that "Wedding" so I am upset about that.

Facebook is a great way for us to keep up with the family and friends we seldom get to see. [It's not like they'd be writing letters and sending photos, otherwise, right?] My boss likes to post short videos of music, and I've heard quite a bit of good stuff that way, and my family posts local news links - it helps us feel less isolated, away from them all.
Well see Cheri, I use it for something other than keeping in touch with others. It is a tool but not one for the family. I feel if some one has to use the Internet to 'reach out' to family members, then they are lazy. I have a sister-in-law who is aghast that my wife doesn't use her email to keep in contact with her (even though her husband works down the street and they live 30 miles away) and we (like Ragman) are old fashioned and like the human interaction between people so we have told everyone, if you want to talk to us, call us.

If there is something to share, like photos of my last adventure across China in my little truck, then I post them either on my site or send them to my friends and family via email.

I pay enough for my phone, so I expect people to call me. If I don't want to talk, I tell them - "don't want to talk right now" and tell them I will call them back.

See the other thing that I don't like is the need to give out personal info. Facebook and other things are too personal without being personal - you can't control the information yourself. You type something (like here) and it is forever somewhere in the great big world of the internet. Some people get carried away with this crap and then when something happens (like being robbed or hurt) to that person, they cry about it and make it out like they are victims. It is like I don't speak about what I own on an open forum as others do, just a bit but nothing like others who tell about their firearms and other stuff.

And if "like" cuts down on the need for redundant posts, that's a good thing, IMO.
Now, where's that "dislike" button? ;)
That I agree with.

Thanks Dale for the correction.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yea my mistake. I have been up since 3:45, the lady across the street had a problem at 4:30 with a car that went through her daughters room and my wife had me wait up to see if she needed any help. Her daughter from the last I heard was in the hospital with possible spinal injuries. Her headboard was right up against the wall they went through, and to top it off, their two dogs ran off and they only found one. These idiots were drunk and didn't know where they were at but got caught at the same hospital where the girl was taken.