Life isn't fair...

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Life isn't fair but some groups will stop at nothing to try and force it to be. If life were fair they wouldn't be in wheelchairs or disabled to begin with and instead of just finding something they can do they force others to pay for special sports programs or change the game for kids that aren't disabled. When a school has 1 or 2 disabled kids they will have to hire a coach and pay for transportation to events all in the name of fairness.

http://news.yahoo.com/schools-must-sports-disabled-us-says-082543043--spt.html?.tsrc=yahoo

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
the way I read it..NO they don't have to hire a coach...IF it is NOT viable....They could however transfer a student to where it would be viable....really read the article and take the blinders off...
if anything the school has to try harder to get a disabled kid into a program where VIABLE...and just not say no blindly....

The feds are ordering schools across the country to make “reasonable” changes to sports programs so that disabled students can play

Last edited:

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Can anyone grasp how much time, effort and money is spent in the United States trying to pursue some fanciful, mythical, nonexistent and unattainable goal of "fairness" ????

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can anyone grasp how much time, effort and money is spent in the United States trying to pursue some fanciful, mythical, nonexistent and unattainable goal of "fairness" ????

way too much....kind of like the "pursuit of happiness"

paullud

Veteran Expediter
the way I read it..NO they don't have to hire a coach...IF it is NOT viable....They could however transfer a student to where it would be viable....really read the article and take the blinders off...
if anything the school has to try harder to get a disabled kid into a program where VIABLE...and just not say no blindly....

The feds are ordering schools across the country to make “reasonable” changes to sports programs so that disabled students can play

"If those adjustments would fundamentally alter a sport or give the student an advantage, the department is directing the school to create parallel athletic programs that have comparable standing to traditional programs."

What blinders?This statement seems pretty blunt, change the game or start another program.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
"If those adjustments would fundamentally alter a sport or give the student an advantage, the department is directing the school to create parallel athletic programs that have comparable standing to traditional programs."

What blinders?This statement seems pretty blunt, change the game or start another program.

Where Viable....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
some parent will demand their 1 child have a program and the court battle will be on....

Define....Where Viable....what is viable and practical...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I've never heard of a government doing something that was "practical".

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I've never heard of a government doing something that was "practical".
Ok, now, I was a kid in the 60's, now I'm traumatized because I could not play football because mother nature did not make me large enough, so can I sue now to redeem my mental status in this unfair world today? Can we form a committee like the government does? lol...

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Ok, now, I was a kid in the 60's, now I'm traumatized because I could not play football because mother nature did not make me large enough, so can I sue now to redeem my mental status in this unfair world today? Can we form a committee like the government does? lol...

The court will now here docket #5836475 skyraider vs Mother Nature.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter

Sorry, being small in not a disability.:(

As for me, I had a lot of energy, didn't pay attention and was not social.
Now that there is a genuine disability that I suffered from.

When Can a Child With ADHD Get Disability?
If the severity of your child’s ADHD meets the Social Security Administration’s impairment listing for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, your child will be granted benefits. . .
Your child must have all three symptoms of ADHD: severe inattention, impulsiveness, and hyperactivity. These symptoms must cause limiting "conditions resulting from ADHD."*
For children 3-18, to receive SSI disability benefits based on ADHD, they must have severe difficulty compared to other children of their age in at least two of the four following areas, resulting from ADHD:

1) cognitive or communicative functions
2) social functioning
3) personal functioning, or
4) concentration, persistence, or pace.

Luck for me the Principle was able to make accommodations. I had seat in his office with my name on it. :cool:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

In this case, the blinders are taking the summary wordings of a reporter as a proxy for the DOE in lieu of the actual wording in the actual PDF of the actual DOE.

For example, it's ludicrous to think that "wheelchair football" or "legless swimming" will ever have a "comparable standing" to regular football or regular swimming, just as men's lacrosse doesn't have the same "comparable standing" to men's basketball or football right now. The DOE never uses the phrase "comparable standing" at all in it's order. The only phrase even remotely approaching "comparable standing" is the sentence, "These athletic opportunities provided by school districts should be supported equally, as with a school district’s other athletic activities." That's a far cry from "comparable standing," and all that it means is that any newly created program must be fully supported, just as the other athletic programs are supported. For example, there are a few schools who have wheelchair tennis teams which give those in wheelchairs the opportunity to participate in team athletics. Some schools may only have one or two participants which isn't enough to field a team, so the have teamed up with other smaller schools to form intraschool teams for competitions.

In all fairness to you, the AP article at Yahoo didn't even reference the actual order. They, instead, want to spoonfeed information to you and tell you want you're supposed to think about all this. I suggest not doing that, and read the actual order for yourself.
Here 'tis: http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/letters/colleague-201301-504.pdf

paullud

Veteran Expediter
In this case, the blinders are taking the summary wordings of a reporter as a proxy for the DOE in lieu of the actual wording in the actual PDF of the actual DOE.

For example, it's ludicrous to think that "wheelchair football" or "legless swimming" will ever have a "comparable standing" to regular football or regular swimming, just as men's lacrosse doesn't have the same "comparable standing" to men's basketball or football right now. The DOE never uses the phrase "comparable standing" at all in it's order. The only phrase even remotely approaching "comparable standing" is the sentence, "These athletic opportunities provided by school districts should be supported equally, as with a school district’s other athletic activities." That's a far cry from "comparable standing," and all that it means is that any newly created program must be fully supported, just as the other athletic programs are supported. For example, there are a few schools who have wheelchair tennis teams which give those in wheelchairs the opportunity to participate in team athletics. Some schools may only have one or two participants which isn't enough to field a team, so the have teamed up with other smaller schools to form intraschool teams for competitions.

In all fairness to you, the AP article at Yahoo didn't even reference the actual order. They, instead, want to spoonfeed information to you and tell you want you're supposed to think about all this. I suggest not doing that, and read the actual order for yourself.
Here 'tis: http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/letters/colleague-201301-504.pdf

The link you provided goes to show just how ridiculous this whole thing is. The entire thing was represented correctly, make things fair even if it places liability, extra cost, and training. Here is a good one: Example 4: An elementary school student with diabetes is determined not eligible for services under the IDEA. Under the school district’s Section 504 procedures, however, he is determined to have a disability. In order to participate in the regular classroom setting, the student is provided services under Section 504 that include assistance with glucose testing and insulin administration from trained school personnel. Later in the year, this student wants to join the school-sponsored gymnastics club that meets after school. The only eligibility requirement is that all gymnastics club members must attend that school. When the parent asks the school to provide the glucose testing and insulin administration that the student needs to participate in the gymnastics club, school personnel agree that it is necessary but respond that they are not required to provide him with such assistance because gymnastics club is an extracurricular activity. Analysis: OCR would find that the school’s decision violates Section 504. The student needs assistance in glucose testing and insulin administration in order to participate in activities during and after school. To meet the requirements of Section 504 FAPE, the school district must provide this needed assistance during the school day.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"The feds are ordering schools across the country to make “reasonable”changes to sports programs so that disabled students can play"

If we were to stick with the Constitution the Feds would not be involved. Education is NOT a federal government function.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The link you provided goes to show just how ridiculous this whole thing is. The entire thing was represented correctly, make things fair even if it places liability, extra cost, and training. Here is a good one: Example 4: An elementary school student with diabetes is determined not eligible for services under the IDEA. Under the school district’s Section 504 procedures, however, he is determined to have a disability. In order to participate in the regular classroom setting, the student is provided services under Section 504 that include assistance with glucose testing and insulin administration from trained school personnel. Later in the year, this student wants to join the school-sponsored gymnastics club that meets after school. The only eligibility requirement is that all gymnastics club members must attend that school. When the parent asks the school to provide the glucose testing and insulin administration that the student needs to participate in the gymnastics club, school personnel agree that it is necessary but respond that they are not required to provide him with such assistance because gymnastics club is an extracurricular activity. Analysis: OCR would find that the school’s decision violates Section 504. The student needs assistance in glucose testing and insulin administration in order to participate in activities during and after school. To meet the requirements of Section 504 FAPE, the school district must provide this needed assistance during the school day.

That's not anything new, though. Section 504 is existing law. Help with glucose testing (finger prίck) and insulin administration (needle injection) is not really anything out of the ordinary for a athletic coach to be dealing with, anyway. They deal with all kinds of health and injury issues on a daily basis.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
would this even out the playing field so a kid could go out for a pass and so on and use this chair in many team sports ...............................mercy