Life is just to short

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
This past Thursday evening just after 5PM I came up on a PUFF of smoke, around the corner there was a large fire. Not thinking it was a car or anything cause the Electric Wires were hanging down. I am thinking well let me just get bye.

Three vehicles pulled over and one Electric truck with a Trailer, OK its under control. Than this guy stands in the Middle of the Road Stopping me. I still am not accessing the situation why with the rush and all of the deadline on my next load I just want to continue on. Than I realize heck thats a Car burning, at the same time I see a young girl 17 maybee sitting on the side of the road. My imm. thought was GREAT she is OK and got out (thank goodness for seatbelts).

I than observe, heck no one is around her or carring for her. It is obvious by the condition of her clothes and no shoes on that she was in that car and was tossed around pretty good. So she stands and starts walking, holding her side and is in great pain. I get out and grab my blanket for her to lay on, she is gona need an Ambulance and I did not want her walking around. Now my failure on what to do, ask questions to gather info for the EMS or what, or just make her comfortable and block the rays of the sun from making her any hotter? I stayed with her doing just that. I asked her no questions and one person wanted to call her grandmother to get up here. I informed them BAD IDEA, how about telling Grandma to meet her at the Hospital and tell her that the injuries are not life threatening and she can walk . Just what we needed was another person creating more confusion.

At that time one of the electrical people came up to me, and told me the real news on the wreck. Bodies were all over the woods. My first impression of the scene was not what I had thought. These were all Teenagers. The Police report (Roxboro news) or Person Country N.C. says it all.

Two dead three inured, well maybee more. Yes its three dead, one body was not found until after the fire was put out. I was willing to go into the woods and help, except for the fire right under the electic lines and alot of snapping and cracking going on. Thats reported in the news story as well.

I would have liked to of done more, but the professionals showed up in no time, and my lack of training would have done no good knowing real help was doing its best.

I stayed away from the death, or viewing it did not want the memory of Teenagers with twisted bodies in my mind. The thought of the burning vehicle and someone inside of it is bad enough.

My thoghts are this: If you have Teenagers, why do parents think that somehow they are protected by bigger and heavier? This vehicle at first was not easily as identified as a large SUV as it is in the news pictures. I could not tell what it was at first, I realy thoght the powerline people had a trailer that somehow cought fire, but they like me just came upon the scene and after the fire was out they knew and did dissconnect the Fuse to the lines. Back to my paragraph: 300 HP plus teenagers WOW thats a Combination even though 130 HP in a Honda could do it as well, but this top heavy over powered Gas Hog proved to be more vehicle than an unexpierenced driver could handle.

The only thing I am greatfull for, is the fact that we did not meet head on two minutes earlier.

I am glad the Girl is gona be OK that was the only thing I could think of to keep this from bumming me out. Just wanted to share this with all you fellow drivers, one is gona sooner or later be placed in a situation like this, the fire Extinguisher wouold have done no good for me to try and use it even had I showed up the second of the crash, how she escaped is beyond me as some of her inuries were from the seatbelt holding her in. The vehicle rolled at least three times while sheering a electric pole in half.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Here is the news story, and another.

The inexeprienced driver probably could have handled the vehicle quite well had he maintained his lane and not been driving 80 to 100 mph (reports vary). A tragic wreck that was totally preventable. You made a good decision to keep your involvement to a minimum. I tip my hat to the first responders who are ready to come to our aid anywhere we are. For our safety, they subject themselves to the greusome sights you avoided.

Last edited:

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Broom, thankfully you are okay. A few minutes earlier and you could have been involved in that accident.

You will probably never know it but that young girl will always remember a driver helped her and stayed with her and put her on a blanket. Sometimes just sitting quietly in a horrendous situation helps calm a person in shock more than any words.

If that had been my daughter I would want to thank you for staying with her and keeping her calm. So I will thank you for her mother!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am glad the outcome was not worst but what is still really puzzling is the lack of outrage I see over things like this. I mean that I would rather not have kids driving (there is no right or in most cases a real need) and like to see a uniformed driver's license program with still even more punishment for offenders.

I say this because I have been involved with a few like situations and I always worry about what if situations, like what if I was in the other lane while the driver lost control or worst yet - what if there was some mother with her kids in a minivan there? They would be fatalities, a waste of life because of someone who could not use their brains.

When are parents going to wake up, when it is too late?

I heard enough times parents being in denial, it is sad that the lost a kid but where is someone telling the parent that maybe they needed to teach their kids a bit better.

As for involvement, Broom I commend you for stopping. It was the right thing to do and as I said before, we lack real involvement in this industry and the country.

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
wow....... that is awful..and glad u were able to help some.....
and ur right life is to short....
now i need to ask

Broom...... how are you doing .. after seeing and experiencing all this?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What? Greg, man, calm down, take a pill. The driver was not a kid, he was an adult. Or is 18 and 19 too young to drive these days? What is there to be outraged about? He was speeding. That's stupid, but is it really and truly outrageous? I was passed just yesterday by someone going at least 80 MPH in a Lincoln Navigator, and that driver was easily 50 years old. His parents, quite obviously, failed utterly. Good thing he didn't swerve to miss that raccoon in the road or he might have over corrected and rolled his SUV, too.

Every time someone gets into a motor vehicle, or allows someone to get into one, they have decided to accept the risk of injuries and death due to motor vehicle accidents. Worrying about all the what if situations in the world won't change that. That's why there is no outrage.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Broom, given the circumstances, you did all that you could do. Unfortunately, these teens have paid for their mistake and inexperience with their lives. Our prayers go out to their families.

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
As OTR drivers, this scene is going to be witnessed by most drivers sooner or later.
One thing you can do is be prepared........Take a Red Cross CPR course. Take a First Responder course, or Basic First Aid Course.
With over 20 years experience in firematics and Emergency Services, I get involved!!!! But then, I have the experience to know what to do, I was a certified E.M.T. (instructor) in N.Y. state, Red Cross CPR instructor, Red Cross Advanced First Aid Instructor. Please don't take this as bragging.........Not intended that way.
BUT, in that situation, here's what someone should do..........TAKE CHARGE of the scene if no ambulance, fire, or police are there yet (someone has to). Assess what you have. "Appoint" someone to call 911, get the ambulance on it's way. Ask questions, alot of them of those involved in the accident.......how many were in the vehicle, where do you hurt, were you the driver or passenger, etc. Then, "appoint" someone to stay with victim #1, then go look for others. If you find another victim, assess their injuries, you never know, if there is alot of bleeding, something as simple as direct pressure on the wound might just save their life! NEVER, NEVER apply a tourniquet if your not properly trained......NEVER!!!! If the victim is obviously deceased, move on the the next one, there is nothing you can do. DO NOT say out loud anything like "there's a dead one over here".......Your not a Dr. or a paramedic or coroner............No one can pronounce someone as "dead: except a Dr. or Coroner.....NO ONE! Keep in mind that the other victims are listening to what your saying about their friends that were just in the accident with them. Never leave a victim alone after caring for them, get someone to at least sit with them if you have to leave, telling the person watching the victim of their suspected injuries.
The best thing you can do is try to stay calm.....notice I said "try", makes a world of difference to the victim. Do not try to be a hero.....always watch out for your own personal safety first! You'll do no good if your injured yourself.
Broom, I applaud you for your efforts and getting involved!!!! I'm sure this situation will stay with you for the rest of your life, but pride yourself in knowing that you got involved and made an effort. I'm sure your taking the time to sit with the one victim and making her as comfortable as you could until medical help got there is something she will never forget. She'll always wonder, "who was that nice man that took the time to sit with me"...:)
Again, CONGRATULATIONS Broom.......Your a credit to our profession my friend!!!!!!!!!! We need more people like you on the highways!!!!!! :)

Reactions: 2 people

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
As OTR drivers, this scene is going to be witnessed by most drivers sooner or later.
One thing you can do is be prepared........Take a Red Cross CPR course. Take a First Responder course, or Basic First Aid Course.
With over 20 years experience in firematics and Emergency Services, I get involved!!!! But then, I have the experience to know what to do, I was a certified E.M.T. (instructor) in N.Y. state, Red Cross CPR instructor, Red Cross Advanced First Aid Instructor. Please don't take this as bragging.........Not intended that way.
BUT, in that situation, here's what someone should do..........TAKE CHARGE of the scene if no ambulance, fire, or police are there yet (someone has to). Assess what you have. "Appoint" someone to call 911, get the ambulance on it's way. Ask questions, alot of them of those involved in the accident.......how many were in the vehicle, where do you hurt, were you the driver or passenger, etc. Then, "appoint" someone to stay with victim #1, then go look for others. If you find another victim, assess their injuries, you never know, if there is alot of bleeding, something as simple as direct pressure on the wound might just save their life! NEVER, NEVER apply a tourniquet if your not properly trained......NEVER!!!! If the victim is obviously deceased, move on the the next one, there is nothing you can do. DO NOT say out loud anything like "there's a dead one over here".......Your not a Dr. or a paramedic or coroner............No one can pronounce someone as "dead: except a Dr. or Coroner.....NO ONE! Keep in mind that the other victims are listening to what your saying about their friends that were just in the accident with them. Never leave a victim alone after caring for them, get someone to at least sit with them if you have to leave, telling the person watching the victim of their suspected injuries.
The best thing you can do is try to stay calm.....notice I said "try", makes a world of difference to the victim. Do not try to be a hero.....always watch out for your own personal safety first! You'll do no good if your injured yourself.
Broom, I applaud you for your efforts and getting involved!!!! I'm sure this situation will stay with you for the rest of your life, but pride yourself in knowing that you got involved and made an effort. I'm sure your taking the time to sit with the one victim and making her as comfortable as you could until medical help got there is something she will never forget. She'll always wonder, "who was that nice man that took the time to sit with me"...:)
Again, CONGRATULATIONS Broom.......Your a credit to our profession my friend!!!!!!!!!! We need more people like you on the highways!!!!!! :)

very good post..........