Liability & Damage Insurance Racket?

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I just submitted an insurance binder to our carrier for Non-Trucking Liability & Physical Damage Coverage. Although I specifically asked for a call "if anything was not compliant", the safety lady just replied with an email, "This will not work, we must be listed as the Certificate Holder, the VIN Number, and the Coverage Listed."

Well, it was all there on the Binder, which is the legal document evidencing coverage.

The rumor is that carriers make money on providing the vehicle to these insurance services, and although they say that owners can get their own insurance, they will throw every obstacle possible in the way of actually being able to do so.

Our personal insurance company can offer much better coverage at a 10% savings. Why can't we just have a company that is interested in lowering our operational costs and getting better coverage?

What companies out there actually try to help to help you change insurance if you want to? Which companies throw obstacle after obstacle in front of you?

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I just submitted an insurance binder to our carrier for Non-Trucking Liability & Physical Damage Coverage. Although I specifically asked for a call "if anything was not compliant", the safety lady just replied with an email, "This will not work, we must be listed as the Certificate Holder, the VIN Number, and the Coverage Listed."

Well, it was all there on the Binder, which is the legal document evidencing coverage.

The rumor is that carriers make money on providing the vehicle to these insurance services, and although they say that owners can get their own insurance, they will throw every obstacle possible in the way of actually being able to do so.

Our personal insurance company can offer much better coverage at a 10% savings. Why can't we just have a company that is interested in lowering our operational costs and getting better coverage?

What companies out there actually try to help to help you change insurance if you want to? Which companies throw obstacle after obstacle in front of you?

I don't know what company your talking about but you can call John or Shelly at CIS which you can find the number on here on EO. They have the best rates and we have our building insurance threw CIS.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We also went through CIS and had no problems changing over. The rates were almost half of what we were paying before and we have options of how to pay the insurance from paying month to paying for a year at a time.

I agree with Dave give John or Shelly a call.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
We also went through CIS and had no problems changing over. The rates were almost half of what we were paying before and we have options of how to pay the insurance from paying month to paying for a year at a time.

I agree with Dave give John or Shelly a call.

I know CIS is a good company and I've had good conversations with them. Unfortunately, they were higher than my personal insurance company's quote, probably because I have 6 vehicles, a large homeowners, and a business policy with them.

I was asking about Pather, Load 1, Tri-State, etc. Which of the carriers are co-operative and which are a real pain in the XXX when trying to buy outside insurance?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I also am switching from a company endorsed policy to CIS at a substantial savings. Sadly I was told CIS does not write work accident insurance that covers you if you do hazmat. Anyone find any bargins there ? Our company policy is pricey, but is a great policy. I would have to compare policies very carefully before switching

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Finally, they came through, "Everything OK and switching over." No explanation for the hiccup given though . . .

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I hate to say this, but sometimes a little patience and tactful communication can resolve problems. I understand the aggravation when you do a lot of work and know full well that you have everything in place...only to be turned down. But, to accuse your carrier of being involved in a racket before such problem resolution has been attempted...and exhausted.. is a bit pre-mature...imo.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Iam insured through Load 1, but I know for a fact John would not stand in the way of me going to any other insurer if they were a good company and their coverage was what was needed....I know I could go to CIS at anytime, no questions asked...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have my insurance with CIS. They are great to work with, very professional and helpful. They also saved me some money which never hurts anything.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I hate to say this, but sometimes a little patience and tactful communication can resolve problems. I understand the aggravation when you do a lot of work and know full well that you have everything in place...only to be turned down. But, to accuse your carrier of being involved in a racket before such problem resolution has been attempted...and exhausted.. is a bit pre-mature...imo.

No kidding, this has been the result of a six month on/off battle to get information on exactly what they needed on the doggone form to satisfy them. OOIDA actually identified a portion of our lease that made it impossible for any other company to provide insurance, a requirement that the insurance be in the carrier's name, which OOIDA, CIS, & State Farm said was impossible. Then our carrier said it "only had to be named as a certificate holder", even though that was in violation of the lease. Asked to issue an addendum to the lease allowing them to be named as certificate holder instead, the answer came back from the VP, "NO, we are not changing the lease." So, even though we are verbally (I guess also written as it is all in emails) given permission to violate the lease, we are still wondering why the lease cannot be corrected.

So we did it their way, listed them as certificate holder, as got refused yesterday. This is crazy. Finally, today I recieved a call from someone else in safety that was not involved before, saying, "the changeover will be made next week." So I guess thats that. But to say we didn't have patience is a bit of a mis-statement . . . we went through six months of craziness with 4 different firms and a dozen or more people.

The bright side is that State Farm (our personal insurance carrier) is saving us 10% with much better coverage ($500 collision deductable instead of $1,000, $0 comprehensive deductable instead of $1,000, adding towing & road service, and no restrictions on drivers as long as they are over 25 years old, although the carrier has only two named drivers on loads). We break a windshield about every year so they will save us another $300 a year on top of the 10% reduction in premiums.

OOIDA and CIS had similar rate quotes and coverage to our carrier's insurance.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
And State Farm fully understands what you do and where you operate. Do you do any Hazmat ?

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Yes, it is a commercial 48 state policy and my agent of more than 15 years looked over my truck, my safe driver jacket, & Lifetime OOIDA emblem on the back of the truck this morning. I had it in her parking lot first thing this am. Word.

We do haz-mat but when we do, the carrier covers trucking liability and cargo liability.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
No kidding, this has been the result of a six month on/off battle to get information on exactly what they needed on the doggone form to satisfy them. OOIDA actually identified a portion of our lease that made it impossible for any other company to provide insurance, a requirement that the insurance be in the carrier's name, which OOIDA, CIS, & State Farm said was impossible. Then our carrier said it "only had to be named as a certificate holder", even though that was in violation of the lease. Asked to issue an addendum to the lease allowing them to be named as certificate holder instead, the answer came back from the VP, "NO, we are not changing the lease." So, even though we are verbally (I guess also written as it is all in emails) given permission to violate the lease, we are still wondering why the lease cannot be corrected.

So we did it their way, listed them as certificate holder, as got refused yesterday. This is crazy. Finally, today I recieved a call from someone else in safety that was not involved before, saying, "the changeover will be made next week." So I guess thats that. But to say we didn't have patience is a bit of a mis-statement . . . we went through six months of craziness with 4 different firms and a dozen or more people.

The bright side is that State Farm (our personal insurance carrier) is saving us 10% with much better coverage ($500 collision deductable instead of $1,000, $0 comprehensive deductable instead of $1,000, adding towing & road service, and no restrictions on drivers as long as they are over 25 years old, although the carrier has only two named drivers on loads). We break a windshield about every year so they will save us another $300 a year on top of the 10% reduction in premiums.

OOIDA and CIS had similar rate quotes and coverage to our carrier's insurance.

Sounds like a true nightmare for sure. I apologize for my comments. When I read the original post, it just sounded like a knee-jerk reaction to getting turned down. If you've been battling it for 6 months, I can definitely understand the frustration.

I remember Highway Star having some insurance problems at C&M. I don't remember exactly what it was or if it was truck related or worker's comp related. I do remember that it was somehow state related. Either MI or OH was causing some sort of problem. Best I remember, the solution was for him to actually get his policy on his own which still required some hoop jumpin..lol. Never bothered me though, I had no problem at all with him jumping through hoops :D

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I remember Highway Star having some insurance problems at C&M. I don't remember exactly what it was or if it was truck related or worker's comp related. I do remember that it was somehow state related. Either MI or OH was causing some sort of problem. Best I remember, the solution was for him to actually get his policy on his own which still required some hoop jumpin..lol. Never bothered me though, I had no problem at all with him jumping through hoops :D

The carrier C&M switched to wasn't on Michigan's list to be an insurance provider. They were at one time, but didn't renew at some point.