Let The Games Begin

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Picture077-1.jpg

This will be mounted to a GM DRW chassis with a GVWR of 10000lbs.

Hopefully, I'll get it right after the third attempt.

The 2006 Express 3500 Extended with the Duramax was a great van, but the regualr maintenance expense was costly. Moreover, in many areas of the country it was difficult to find a GM dealer who had a Certified Diesel tech and some wouldn't even change the oil because they didn't even sell diesel trucks or vans.

The 2008 Express 3500 Extended with the 6.0L was a sweet van! The mileage was the best I have ever seen. I could run 19.2 mpg's empty on flat ground and 18.2 mpg's with a 2000lb load. It had every option available which my the driving very comfortable.

So why am I building another van? With the other two I kept forgetting that I am 6'4" tall. Considering the fact that increased fuel costs and decreased load availibilty has forced most folks to stay out longer, I began to feel like a sardine after two weeks out on the road. Additionally, I just got tired of falling over when trying to put on my pants in the morning. :D

This configuration will give me a solid bulkhead and some personal space. No more sleeping with the cargo! I had a driver tell me about spiders crawling on his sleeping bag. Yikes! He said, "Just think of where most pallets and bins are stacked?" Hmmm. Yep, outside next to the building.

There will be plenty of headroom and approximately 52" of living area. That will leave 102" of cargo space for two skids and the additional height might get me an extra load or two.

I'll have plenty to think about over the next four weeks while the cargo body is in production.

As always, I covet your prayers that the builder will do everything decently and in order and that GM did their best as well.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Let us know when you are on the road with your new design truck.
I'm 6'4" as well and I am cramped in our 100" condo.
We are thinking even bigger.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Now I think this is neat, your happy about getting a bunk that is less than 60 inchs. Some drivers get upset about an 86 inch sleeper. My 1st truck had a 48 inch Dbl bunk sleeper and I thought it was cool.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Now I think this is neat, your happy about getting a bunk that is less than 60 inchs. Some drivers get upset about an 86 inch sleeper. My 1st truck had a 48 inch Dbl bunk sleeper and I thought it was cool.
i had a 1977 kw with a 36 in sleeper,had to crawl thru what would of been a window,if it didnt have a sleeper,no power steering,roof mounted air conditioning that would drip on your elbow,but the truck ran well over a hundred mph.had industrial cummins,over 400 hp to the ground.with my reefer trailer net weight was only 30500 lbs.I use to make 3 round trips then take a week off,hunts point to cleveland,to california,back to hunts point,those were the days.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
i had a 1977 kw with a 36 in sleeper,had to crawl thru what would of been a window,if it didnt have a sleeper,no power steering,roof mounted air conditioning that would drip on your elbow,but the truck ran well over a hundred mph.had industrial cummins,over 400 hp to the ground.with my reefer trailer net weight was only 30500 lbs.I use to make 3 round trips then take a week off,hunts point to cleveland,to california,back to hunts point,those were the days.
I think of those trucks when I hear Joan Claybrook saying today's drivers have to drive "11 exhausting hours a day " . As a matter of fact her quoted complaint about the interim HOS rules was the rule "allows drivers to drive 11 exhausting hours 7 days in a row , take a short 34 hour break , then do it again " I read that 3 times to make sure I read it right . I read that quote in 2 different magazines so it wasn't a misquote . This is the head of an organization that keeps the courts tied up with suits challenging HOS .

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Joe,

The area above the cab could be a storage area, but I plan on leaving it fully open so I can easily stand and make the turn into the bunk area.

In my regular vans my bed ran front to back with my feet in between the seats. No fun when you are beat after driving many hours, then stopping, then exiting the van in the rain or snow, walking around to side door, getting in on my knees, trying not to drag snow or water in on my boots and trying to arrange everything for a comfortable sleep. I probably spent 20-30 minutes doing all that, so stopping and walking right back to the awaiting mattress should be a blessing.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Looks cool and well thought out!

I hear you on the diesel. I love my Duramax but with the difference in the price of fuel and the diesel adding 10 grand to the price I don't think I'll buy another one. You proved it, you can get good mileage with a gasser.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
David, have you given any thought to an insulated bulkhead with pass through directly behind the seats? When empty you would then have 13' of living space and easier access to gear stored along the sidewalls. I have seen a couple of Sprinters with the "factory sleeper package". While very nice, I personally would choose to utilize the entire cargo area for living.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Msinger, what is your empty weight with driver and amenities? Is your box FRP or post and sheet metal? Do you know the GVWR for the Penske 4 wheelers?

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Moot,

I considered that after looking at Turtle's van during Expo 07.

I like to drive, but when I stop...I exit the van ASAP. I really don't like being in the when the van is parked. Maybe I am a little claustrophobic? :confused: Other than being in it during the transportation of freight, and sleeping when needed, I rather enjoy the interaction with people. Whenever I am at a truck stop it always amazes me the number of people who just sit behind the wheel in their van and never speak with, or to, anyone else. Seems kind of a lonesome existence to me.

I just wanted a space separate from the cargo area so I would not have to juggle personal items around everytime the load was two skids or slightly longer. This cargo box is so wide that I should be able to put my service items (tools, oil filter, oil change pan, oil, cleaning supplies,) and personal items (food, spare paperwork, etc) along the side walls; hence, creating more usable space in the bunk area.

My goal is to have a clear walk through path to the bunk and no clutter in the bunk area.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
6999 lbs empty weight

I had to lose the spare tire, jack and handle and make a couple design changes, like deleting the cargo box scuff plate around the interior walls, to get there.

Of course, I have never had to change a spare tire and with the availibilty of road services I felt it was an equitable trade.

5 cpm additional revenue by having 3001 lbs available capacity times 70,000 loaded miles per year (conservative estimate) translates into $3500. Hopefully that will cover a service call for a tire change if needed.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Jack,

I bent over to pick up my glove from the ground on a very windy day and swing door on my cargo van just about knocked me out.

Thought I would try a roll up this time and yes, it is also lighter which helps with the weight factor.

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
Dhalltoyo, you stated "6999 lbs empty weight", is this just the truck? or is this with all your stuff added?
How quick are you getting it?
Who's the dealer?

Thanks
once

Last edited:

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Jack,

I bent over to pick up my glove from the ground on a very windy day and swing door on my cargo van just about knocked me out.

Thought I would try a roll up this time and yes, it is also lighter which helps with the weight factor.

Keep that rollup door well maintained or it can knock you out too . I worked for a company that repaired them . They can be dangerous .

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Weight is just the chassis, cargo box and 3 gallons of gas.

Any dealer can order you a chassis; if they can find one. The American Axle strike has the GM production facility shut down. It was truly a miracle for me to get one. A shuttle bus company in Michigan had a cancelled order and they were willing to let the chassis go. I spent a week on the phone calling dealers all across the country. Normally, you would order a chassis (6 week wait time) and then another 6 weeks for the builder to get the chassis, build the cargo box and deliver it to your local GM dealer.

I had specific weight requirements so it required a tremendous amount of information gathering to find a way for this unit to be produced. One thing for sure is that most people do not know that the cargo box can be built at any length in "one foot" increments. Most folks only think they build a 12 - 14 - 15 or 17 foot cargo box, because that is what they see in the brochure.

Additionally, I wanted more than the standard features you will find in a stock chassis pool. Most builders don't even order a chassis with tilt and cruise. This one is coming with power windows and locks, AM/FM/CD, Quad headlamps (A must for night driving), tilt, cruise, chrome appearance pkg, (Makes cleaning bugs off the bumper so much easier), console storage bin, compass, outside temperature gauge, Velvac mirrors, and auxiliary HVAC provisions (I understand the concept, but I've never seen what it looks like on a chassis).

I'll go more into the details after I take delivery.