Leftover's & Winter

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
When we go home we like to prepare meals with leftovers in mind for the truck. I have found that if we use the freezer baggies or the vacuum seal bags that if I shape them into a book form I can store many meals. We pack our leftovers into two person servings and then shape the package into the shape of a book. We have spring loaded expandable curtain rods in our freezer to hold our food in place. I just line my little frozen books up put in the curtain rod and we are ready to go.

With winter right around the corner we carry lots of frozen meals with us as we are not so apt to get out of the truck for a meal. Both of us love the homemade hot chocolate mix so I will keep a tin of that on hand for when the wind is howling and old man winter is outside wanting in! Makes you feel warm and toasty!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Question #1

How do you like the vacuum sealer and which one do you have?

Question #2

How do you get into book form and what size book form do you use, text book, paper back or what ever?

Question #3

Do you reuse the bags?

The curtain rod solution is a good one, thanks.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have the food savor mini and I do like it. Bob was trying to save a little when he bought it and did not get the cutter on the machine. It is a pain to cut all of the bags and guess the size. If you are going to vacuum pack anything that has much liquid you need to freeze it first as the juice will just squeeze out as you vacuum pack it. I use the machine about 1/2 of the time and the other half I use the storage bags. Just depends on how fast we are going to eat what I have prepared. You cannot re use the bags.

The book size bags are the size of paperback book and Greg if you want to measure for this I suggest you get a book where the pages have all fallen out. Then just use the cover as a measurement tool just kidding!

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
I use the food saver bags too. I buy the roll and cut the bags to the size I need. To keep liquid from being sucked into the seal, you can place a paper towel at the top of the bag to absorb the liquid. I hadn't thought about freezing first. The book idea is great, I was just freezing them flat and stacking them up.

ejtrucker

Seasoned Expediter
thanks ladies for the ideas. I do a lot of soups and sandwiches. But as you said with the winter coming on some hot homemade tasties will be warming.