Lease agreement for drivers of O/O

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Gambler wrote:

>dreamer..20% each!! ....... a team .......etc.......

Ah ha! I gotcha now... I was thinkin after I looked back at that, I wonder if he meant to each TEAM driver... I originally read it as a single driver's pay :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

sorry bout that... :) Now I understand, 18% to each team driver, with advance to 20%.. and you pay the fuel... sounds better now!

Dreamer

[font color="blue"]
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
[/font]​

Cpl_Fluff

Expert Expediter
I have written an O/O, Driver agreement that I have used in hiring drivers for the past 6 years. They make little difference. I pay $.40 loaded mile first 90 days, if driver is doing an adequate, (not good) just adequate job I pay $.45 loaded mile. I pay fuel , maint, and repairs. There is an exception for driver negligence. I have a $300.00 charge if I have to go get my truck in the event of abandonment. I used to supply a nextel phone if needed with 600 min. driver responsible for overages on minutes. My drivers are told they are the Captains of their ships. If they want to go home to say Gary, In. from Charlotte, N.C. I will deduct $.15/mile for the trip home to cover fuel. Within 100 miles of home and you want go on home no charge for fuel. I liberally allow that 100 miles to be stretched to 150. In those 6 years I have gone through 20 to 25 drivers in 3 trucks and I drive the 4th my self. Of those 20 to 25 drivers I would say I have had 2 good drivers, and 18 horror stories that this space does not allow the telling. Of those 2 good drivers 1 worked for me twice, left to go back to big rigs. The other, the best driver I ever hired is doing 6 years for identity theft. I have out performed and ran with 1/10th of the breakdowns and better mpg than any dead head moron driver I ever hired. I am working my way back down to 1 truck. Having had drivers abandone trucks every where, run up $1200 phone bills calling 900 numbers and disappear, crash trucks, drive them in a state of disrepair that is unsafe and when you call and ask "How's the truck running?" "Fine, fine." Written agreements with drivers mean nothing because drivers that can't get their own trucks are only a liability to the small truck businessman like me.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
That's sad to me... you sound like you had a very fair agreement. I beleive every time a driver takes a truck, he should take care of it like it's his own, and make sure, when he turns the truck back it, it has at least as much fuel as when he got the keys.

It would be nice if the good drivers and good owners could somehow get together...

Seems like it's usually either a dedicated driver and a nightmare owner, or an accomodating owner with a nightmare driver.

Dreamer

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I agree Dreamer - I have heard it both ways.

The fact is there are good Fleet Owners and bad ones, and there are good driver and bad drivers.

You have to be very selective when choosing one.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
A big part as to why we downsized. Too many irresponsible drivers. But to be fair, I would say for every 10 hired, 1 or 2 would be an excellent driver. Unfortunately I think in many cases, the good drivers pay because the owner has to absorb the costs of the 8 that are irresponsible. "The well only runs so deep when you are picking up the tab for others stupidity"
Davekc

ATeam

Retired Expediter
This thread prompts me to share some industry reform ideas I've had in mind for a few months now. Please see the new thread entitled "An Idea To Benefit Drivers AND Fleet Owners"

gambler

Expert Expediter
>I agree Dreamer - I have heard it both ways.
>
>The fact is there are good Fleet Owners and bad ones, and
>there are good driver and bad drivers.
>
>You have to be very selective when choosing one.
>
>Lawrence,
>Expediters Online.com
>
>
>Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine
>
>
>
>-----------------------------------------
>Thanks For Visiting EO!
>
>
>
>http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg
>
>
>Please Help Us Get The Word
>Out About Expediters Online.com!

>-----------------------------------------

LAWRENCE i agree about being selective but really how well can you possibly screen someone? it's hard to decide if a meeting or 2 and maybe a few phn calls.the driver may seem great and in reality be a huge scammer(or vice versa for the "owners") i just wish i could get drivers who truly believed in an honest days work for an honest days pay.

Cpl_Fluff

Expert Expediter
I sat down at the TA on I-71 by Lodi, Oh. telling some of the guys about some of the drivers I've had over the last 6 years. They said I should do a stand up routine at truck stops about them. Like Tim, he begged me to give him a shot. Right out of truck driving school in Indy. I gave in. 6 mos. of excellent work. I'd run in to him at a truck stop and he'd be polishing the truck and it would be spotless inside. Then 26 yr. old Tim met a girl. Had a date on a Friday night that lasted till tuesday. Posted up and called said he might get married. "How long you been seeing this girl Tim?" I asked. "Met her last week." says Tim. "Whoa boy you don't marry a girl you've only known a week!" I say. "Well Crystal is really special." 2 weeks later another long weekend Tim calls all excited. "I'm in love boss I'm gone get married." I said "Tim, Tim you have got to wait a while you don't really know Crystal." He says "Not Crystal, Tina!" I ask "Tina? Who is Tina?" Tim says "She lives across the street from Crystal." I am sitting there with my mouth hanging open in disbelief. 2 weeks later he married her and started saying he had to stop driving, Tina didn't like him driving truck. So I asked him if he had ever made the kind of money he was making with me, no he had never been paid so well. Had he ever had a boss that treated him better, no he had not. So you are willing to give up the best job you ever had for a girl you were dumb enough to marry after knowing her for 2 or 3 weeks. Tim said "No boss, when I get home I'll staighten her out." The next saturday he called said the truck was in Walmart parking lot Tina was right her 3 kids needed a dad at home. When I picked up the truck I discovered it had not been cleaned since he met Crystal, trash deep as the seats, sleeper to firewall. I have at least 8 more stories that are just as twisted as this kids thinking.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Sounds like he was a 'little' too lonely... jumpin in like that! Wow.. the things guys do for a little... um.. company...:+ :+

Dreamer