Last code talker dies at 92

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It would have been great to know some of them as well as many of the other heroes of that generation. It would be great to have the same in the current generation as well.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
It would have been great to know some of them as well as many of the other heroes of that generation. It would be great to have the same in the current generation as well.

10-4 on that. Was thinking: In all my school days,I never heard one person or instructor talk about them. In fact, WW2 was not talked about much, wonder why? Most of my WW2 info came by my Dad's buddies, but that really wasn't much.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Maybe we do, only we don't recognize them, because we can't see past their differences to appreciate it.
When the code talkers were growing up, they were forbidden to speak Navajo, and had their mouths washed with "nasty, bitter, brown soap" if they were caught.
When we learn that different isn't automatically wrong, we might be better at seeing the good instead of deciding it's bad. Just a thought.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Perhaps it should be to have the same to the same extent in the current generation. We certainly do have some but I doubt nearly as many.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
10-4 on that. Was thinking: In all my school days,I never heard one person or instructor talk about them. In fact, WW2 was not talked about much, wonder why? Most of my WW2 info came by my Dad's buddies, but that really wasn't much.
The Code Talkers (Navajo and others) and what they did remained classified until 1968.