Cargo Van Larger or more weight?

Mr. E Mann

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I'm just getting started in expediting and am looking into buying a cargo van. I've come across my first sticking point and I think I need an answer from people with more experience. I have a choice of 53" at the wheelhouse and 2,900 lbs payload or 48" and 3,400 lbs. I'm wondering if that extra 500 lbs is worth a tight fit on a standard pallet?

Reactions: SimpleTrucker.com

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In my Opinion. ...FORGET a Cargo Van for Expediting ..
Look for Length ...144 " or more
Look for Height .. 68 " or more at back doors ..
Available freight weight of 3000 lbs AFTER installing Bed ,personal items , full tank of fuel , generator, etc , etc,..
So about 3,800 lbs available off the Dealer Lot ...

Mr. E Mann

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I chose to go with a cargo van because I don't need to bring in top dollar. My wife and I own another business that generates enough cash to pay the bills. I also work for another company in IT and make good money and have decent benefits but the stress level there is getting out of hand and it's just not worth it to stay anymore. I expedited in a straight truck about 20 years ago but I have no desire to go back to the government regulations. It seemed to me that I could run in a cargo van and make enough to pay expenses and taxes, buy insurance for the family and net at least 15k a year for family fun money. Maybe I'm off on my estimates but that's how it looked from the research I've done so far.

I don't think a Sprinter can get to 144" with a sleeper but it can do two pallets with a sleeper or 3 with the bed folded up.At least from what I've seen a Midway Specialty Vehicles. The height of the high top will get 72" doors. That just takes me back to my original question In order to get the weight you stated I would have to go with the 3500 which reduces the space between the wheelhouse to 48". With the average pallet being 48" that seems awful tight.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Go ahead and buy the %#!/## cargo van then ..
In 6 months after "maybe " 1 load a week ,then you will Quit and go make More Money at McDonald's and still be making a Van Payment..

Oh , by the way Transits and Promasters have 52 to 55 inches between the wheel wells ...
But yes the 3500 sprinter is 48 " between the wheel wells and maybe that's why Most Sprinter drivers own the 2500..

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are you having a bad day or do you normally overreact to what seems like polite conversation? As this is my first post on this board I'm unsure if you're the resident troll or not.
Lol ... no not a Bad Day ..
Please go to the Newbie section of this Forum and Read . Questions like yours have been asked a hundred times and answered by Veteran EO members like myself (15 years ) .
I was trying to steer you in the right direction Van wise and if You had researched the last 4 years of this Business you would then understand. But you seem set on your Cargo Van decision and that's fine .
But , 1 last Comment from me and then I am done trying to help.

Have YOU talked to Any Carriers about what type of Van's THEY would Lease On ..?
Most Large companies won't even Consider a Cargo Van..
Good luck ...

Reactions: Charity's Van

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Ntimevan raises issues that need to be considered. A lot of the people on here have been doing this a long time. I myself am starting year #5, so I'm still (almost) new.

No, 48" won't work because the skids may be 48" but the load on the pallet could be 49 or 50 (or more).

Please do read the Newbies thread in detail (if you haven't already)

DO NOT buy a truck until you have selected and been accepted by a carrier.

If we seem touchy it's because every day can be a bad day in Van expediting due to market saturation.

This is just my opinion but if you have other irons in the fire this will (probably) not work as well as you plan. Van expediting is a lifestyle and to succeed 100% of your attention would need to be focused. But, I'm just one person, hopefully many others will jump in with their thoughts.

Good Luck

Sent from my moto z3 using EO Forums mobile app

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
3500 = dually = the regulation you want to avoid (in a sprinter) as well as too small between wheelwells

A 3500 in a Promaster however is a single wheel under regulated weight...

Do your research to make sure you end up where you want

Reactions: Moot and ntimevan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
FWIW, I drive a Sprinter cargo van.

In answer to your question, go with 53" at the wheelhouse and 2,900 lbs payload. The extra 500 pounds won't be needed very often, and when you are loaded heavy you take a significant fuel economy hit, anyway.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A "cargo van" is a generic term for a rectangular 4 or 6 wheel box about the size of the largest SUV but taller and wide open in the back. That includes Sprinters and Transits and others. So getting all pissy because someone is asking about a "cargo van" doesn't show well. Now, if someone asked about a "G3500 cargo van" that would be a different inquiry altogether.

To the OP, you want well more than 48" between wheelwells. You will get all sorts of loads, some of them hanging over the sides of the pallets. I'm sure when you research all the permutations of all the manufacturers you will find some likely suspects. Good luck.

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Probably like.... 75-85% of all my loads would have fit in a regular cargo van dims & weight wise.

People say a lot of shippers will request sprinters specifically. But until someone some one shows me some written proof of a shipper having that requirement, i will continue to believe its a conspiracy from big expediting because they would rather you have a large van, more loads you can take, the more loads they can get their cut off of. The ratio between cost of van and load availability doesn't matter to them.

But forget about that, you're going to be so much more comfortable in a sprinter, and there will be more loads, i just don't know its its as big of a difference as everyone makes it out to be.

Also it crosses my mind you may have just been referring to a sprinter van as a cargo van and everyone's just ready to pounce because you said the forbidden word

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I was o/o for 25 years have had 3 straight trucks, 4 sprinter vans. I drove for ceva for 13 3/4 years. in that time there was only 6 day's I didn't work. when price of fuel in 2004 went to $2.00 a gal, when you fill up and it cost $100.00 for 50 gal's of fuel time to change. so the sprinter van was out for a short time, check it out , for hauling freight, could get 4 pallets in van. also put rollers in floor so it would be easier to move freight in and out. with rollers only lost 2'' of height, wheel wells in a sprinter are 51'' wide. sometimes I put in 55 '' wide pallet, with rollers in floor, put down 3 pallets than that made even with wheel wells, pushed pallet forward . no problem. if you set it up with a sleeping area of 48 '' or so, you are still able to carry 3 pallets . or you can put in a fold up bunk, mount to sides when you have no freight on , sleep in. also you can put a genset on that will fit in space for spare tire. compare to other vans seats and leg room are better. if you are going to spend long hours in seat you want the best comfort you are able to get. also sprinter van oil changes are 20,000 miles, if you do your maintenance when required last over 400,000, some have lasted longer than that. if you know how to work your unit, you will do well. compared to other vans sprinter is able to carried the most freight. right now I work at Tysinger in Hampton , Va, doing outside sales of sprinter vans and also drive one of parts vans as they were short driver, plus love to drive. give me a call at 757 342 8471 (cell) and my partner Ed Maxfield 315 559 9646 (cell), looking forward talking to you

Reactions: dalscott

No satisfaction

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
Do you know of any brokers for Sprinter loads in Hampton Roads? Also what is the best area of Hampton Roads to get a Sprinter Load? TIA

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
To add to the advice....
Yes, get yourself and your prospective vehicle approved by your company of choice before buying the vehicle. Be certain company knows details of vehicle, including make, model, cargo dimensions, number of windows, whatever they require.

Wider space at wheelwell is often needed due to previously mentioned cargo that extends a little beyond 48".

Maximum weight capacity will not often be needed...and if you miss a load for that reason, a lighter load is more common and will come your way soon.

I drive a Ford Transit 2500 medium height roof, sprinter-type cargo van. Ten feet of cargo space, but I reserve two feet for my bunk and junk and carry two skids of cargo. Usually just one. Works for me.

Lastly, I agree with others that old-style lower roof cargo van is not accepted by many companies. Stick with sprinter higher roof style. "Sprinter" is brand of Mercedes Benz, but all makes like that are called sprinters. Just like most tissue is called Kleenex.