Laptops computers

stevydean

Seasoned Expediter
Whats the best laptop out there for drivers?...I have a COMPAQ thats spends most of the time being repaired...always over heats, fan stops working etc..its only a year old.... Looking at a DELL any suggestions. ......steve

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a dell that is about a year old. I have had no problems with it. Something to note if you keep your computer running while under way it is very hard on moving parts like hard drives fans etc.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
My HP is five years old, been dropped, slammed, rides on the floor of the cab and looks like crap.

If you have a heat problem, get one of them laptop bases with a fan in it and keep airflow moving around it. Don't put it on the seat, or on carpet floor but on a solid surface.

I used to use compaq laptops for my field work and they never failed me but that was when they were compaq. Now if I was to get another laptop to replace this one, it would be a used Toughbook.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
We have a Gateway that we bought back in December. We haven't had any problems with it at all. Still has some of the plastic protectors on it that came with it even. It rides on a laptop stand between the seats, is on all of the time. The battery life on it is great, never overheats. Spent the extra money on the warranty that covers everything except water submersion.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
We have a Toshiba and love it. You can't really kill them as they have a partitioned hard drive that will restore them to factory settings.
We would not buy anything else.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Toshiba Satelllite a505
nice large screen and Harmon/Kardon sound
plus it has nearly 7 hours of battery life/downside the battery is huge and the computer is heavy
But I highly recommend it.

movercash

Seasoned Expediter
I have an HP that is 5 years old, it was in the truck with me in Iraq when I got Ied'd and the case was cracked. Still not a single problem. I'm pretty much sold on HP laptops.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
we have a verizon hp netbook- works great, 2 gig memory, the size of a truck transport newspaper folded in half. cheap too. get them at a office supply store if you're not in love with verizon lol.

Last edited:

fketchum

Seasoned Expediter
I have a HP Elitebook 8540p and it has been great. Its built rock solid and has plenty of power. HP's are great

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Compaq Preario C700 2 yrs old no problems at all, well except the "S" key keys coming off....it is mounted on a "Ram Stand" and it sit in ft of the dash at AC vent level and is cooled from the vents behind it...

I did have an "irratic curor" issue, but that was a power ssupply issue not the computer.

lonemountain

Seasoned Expediter
I've had several Dell laptops, each one I've kept for quite a few years. They seem really solid, even after beating them up a bit.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I also have the HP Mini with the solid state hard drive, I bought it specifically for use in my truck as vibration and bumps cause regular hard drive problems, for a basic cheap computer it works fine for surfing the web

JoeJoeSmith

Seasoned Expediter
I need to put my laptop on something but I cant install a laptop mount since its not my truck. The passenger seat doesn't really work as i cant see the screen and it gets bumped around and cracked at the hinges. Does anybody know of any solutions.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Some innovative driver took a 2X4, built a small box with a bottom and then mounted the laptop mount to it using the box as the base. Weighed it down with 50 lbs of junk at first but then put a battery in a container instead and didn't drill a hole in the truck. Kept things in place he used it in three vans and a truck.

JimmyB

Seasoned Expediter
Whats the best laptop out there for drivers?...I have a COMPAQ thats spends most of the time being repaired...always over heats, fan stops working etc..its only a year old.... Looking at a DELL any suggestions. ......steve

Hey Stevydean,
The best question you should ask yourself is what is the best laptop you can get within your budget. Yes, there are very cheaply made computers, but in the end they all suffer from the same problem. The problem is electronics and little moving parts will tend to wear out faster if your using them while going down a bumpy road. You will be pretty safe and find approx the same level of craftsmanship in any of the brand name computers.
Dell, Compaq, Acer, Gateway etc...

As for your over heating problem, I always use a Chill Pad of some sort under my laptop at all times. I even use it when I'm sitting at home at my desk. Extra air cooling is never a bad thing!!

Some of the worst things I have found in my experience that you can do are...
1) Laying your laptop on your bunk, lap, pillow etc. while you have it powered on. Most laptops have their intake air vents on the bottom of the laptop.

2) I have found that laptops used in a truck while strapped into one of those neat looking laptop stands that mount to the floor then over to the dashboard actually transfer much more beating to your laptop. Not worth the extra money to me.

And Always keep your laptop stored in a padded case when not in use. I had a codriver stick his laptop behind the passenger seat with the air up. When he sat down kinda hard.... CRUNCH... there goes this monitor.

Good Luck in your computer search.

JimmyB

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver

I just bought a Toshiba for my daughter. Nice unit for 339.00 at best buy. Stay away from Asus, I tried two, and returned both.
They have a lot on sale now for school.

JoeJoeSmith

Seasoned Expediter
I was getting ready to use the 2 x 4 box idea from greg334, I found this bag on Ebay. Its about as expensive as a descent laptop stand, but doesnt take up as much space and looks like i can take it with me. Does anyone have this? I can't find anything like it any other place online.

stores.ebay.com/A-C-GPS-Laptop-Bags

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My Compaq Presario lasted 6 yrs on the road, now I have an HP.
I use a child's lap tray [$5.00 at Walmart], with a removeable beanbag base. The raised edges provide airspace under the laptop, the beanbag provides stability, and it can be used around your neck as a cushion while driving, too. :D

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
25041o6.jpg

1zqbxag.jpg

54umh.jpg

Last edited:

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
You Guys have covered most of the important issues while carrying around a laptop in a truck. Cushioning and ventilation being the most vital.

I've been tinkering a little in electronic repairs all my life, but would never reccomend a particcular make or model.Ive always said the one that dont break and last the longest is always the best...regardless of brand.
I can assure you of one thing, shaking fistfull of cash with one model numberdont mean its gonna be bulletproof. Ive fixed 100's of laptops and own just about every diagnostic tool known to man. Nothing irratates me more than discovering some POS componet mounted inside a 2-3 thousand dollar laptop.
Even more disturbing is discovering thru diagnostics the flutuations in varying specs of most laptops. I really gotta think the mfg's trust the common folks will never "catch a clue" as to whats going on.

I attached a few pics of my "lil hobby room" . Simply because I have heard so much unbelievable nonsense. Credibility is always enhanced with even the littlest hint of proof. I dont talk.....I actually do the walk. "big difference"

2q3q82p.jpg

qq9302.jpg

bhzi1j.jpg

30shvrs.jpg

EDIT: can a Mod delete the 1st one. I scrwwed it up so bad I cant even see the edit button