Knowing your cost per mile

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
After looking over and over at my cost per mile for my actual truck - I am just wondering outside my normal customer base, how much business I am going to get if I am out here trying to charge $2.00 per mile....................

A lot of brokers are charging more than that from shippers. That doesn't mean the carriers are seeing that much. I spoke with a shipper that had been using a broker not to be named and I quoted him a rate that was around that much per mile for a particular run and he said that was "way less" than what he had been paying to said broker.

mcclainlogis

Not a Member
greg334 -

If that was meant for me I will address that. My goal was to bring on some contractors. However, being new its' a little tough to get going that way and I have some customers that I need to service now.

Therefore, as the owner, I am going to hit the road to take care of business anyway I have to.

When the owner-operators start coming on board then I will phase myself back into the office-slash-managment role. But, at this point at least, I am going out on the road to make things get started the way I need them to be.

I am pretty much a hands on person and I think that is best to understand where the drivers and owner-operators are coming from as well.

Hope that answers the question.

As far as what I am charging, I have some shippers that pay me pretty good, but its' a little confusing to get on here and chat with people that are talking taking runs at $1.30- etc etc and wondering how the heck they can make a living at those rates.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
but its' a little confusing to get on here and chat with people that are talking taking runs at $1.30- etc etc and wondering how the heck they can make a living at those rates.

That depends on what vehicle you're driving. I don't see how a straight truck could run for those rates, but a Sprinter or a van can be profitable at $1.30. That doesn't mean I charge that low for a run from a shipper, but it's not a terrible rate for a van.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you do not understand the value of the dollar just say so MOOT. I will clearly define it for you if you don't like the stats I cut and paste.

Okay Rat, I don't understand the value of the dollar. But I do understand the McDonalds Dollar Menu. Sorry, more sarcasm. I'll explain that later. So please clearly define it for me.

As for the stats you cut and paste, its not that I don't like them; you just omitted one. You posted 7 examples of inflation from the 1950's, but failed to post the average household income from that time period. Don't you think that a mention of wages from then would possibly put things in prospective?

As for the sarcasm, it is a defense mechanism I employ when I am in way over my head. I know absolutely nothing about most things with economics at the top of that list.

Sorry I don't have time to type all the things I want to say. I have far more pressing issues to deal with than commenting on sarcastic babble.

Ah, so little time and way too much Benzedrine.

quote=ratwell71;249951]Take it for what is worth. It is your time, your money. If you think you are earning a $1.40 or whatever per mile think again. Your choice to learn or just be sarcastic which just shows how intellectual you really are.[/quote]

It sure does!

[/quote] Now let us try that with some tact next time.[/quote]

Sounds good to me. On the count of three let's both take a deep breath! 1...2...3!!!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Thanks Phil.

I must say, I prefer the way Terry & Rene spread the truck cost over the period of the truck's life, as opposed to having payments, and then suddenly zero, and looks like you're making more money. I'd rather see a steady number, making it easier to compare apples to apples, one year over another, instead of looking at different years and having to remember what made the numbers be what they were.

Notice that I did not say truck payment costs were suddenly reduced to zero. I said interest on the truck loan was reduced to zero. Once the truck is paid off, interest costs cease. But even though the truck is just two years old and paid for, replacing the truck must be accounted for, and the truck replacement cost continues as an ongoing expense. Thus you have your steady number.

Two years ago, the truck purchase price was $251,000, including FET. Using the 4% per year inflation number Turtle provided, and sticking to our plan to replace the truck in ten years, the $251,000 purchase price of 2006, becomes $371,500 in 2016. To account for inflation, build in a cushion, and maintain a debt-free lifestyle, we are planning to pay $400,000 cash for a new truck in 2016.

To include that expense in today's CPM numbers we assume we can invest money at a return that at least equals the rate of inflation (4%). Thus, with a $400,000 goal and a 4% return, we need to put away $3,531 a month for the next eight years. Based on past history, we assume 12,000 miles a month. $3,531/12,000 gives us truck replacement costs of 29 cents per mile.

Say you had a $150,000 class 7 truck instead, with a five-year useful life, and the same 4% inflation and investment return assumptions. $150,000 today is $182,500 five years from now. With that as your goal, a 4% return, and a 12,000 mile per month assumption, you need to save $2,744 a month to pay cash for your next truck, and your truck replacement cost would be 23 cents per mile.

Now, of course, things are not that simple. There are taxes to consider, salvage value of a 10 year old truck, and a host of other factors. Still, knowing approximately how much you need to save over a given time period puts one well on the way toward paying cash for the next truck.

More importantly, your customers can count on you to be there for them after your present truck wears out.

I also personally wouldn't include the flights for dental appointments, becuz to me, that's more an item for how you choose to spend your profit.

That is your call.

I know this form is just for determining your 'cost' per mile, so you can make an informed business decision on whether or not to take an offered load (if your carrier in fact gives you the right to determine that decision for yourself!), but I would like to see it go a step further, and estimate how many deadhead miles are in that total miles figure, and work out the number needed for 'loaded miles'. Easy enough to do, just more estimating and projecting.

In the 12,000 mile figure cited above, loaded and deadhead miles are included. That is a more realistic approach, I believe since we do in fact deadhead the truck for a number of reasons (going home, driving to truck washes, driving to maintenance facilities, driving to RV parks to layover between runs, driving to our carrier for training and certifications, driving to better express centers to improve our chances of getting a load, etc.).

The often-quoted OOIDA article says, "As a general rule of thumb, the driver should earn about 30% of the total gross revenue of the truck."

Looking at things that way, Consider a load that pays $1.60 per mile, gross to the truck. If 30% of that should be your profit after expenses, that is 48 cents per mile, leaving you with $1.12 per mile to cover expenses. Should you accept the load? It depends on what your cost per mile is. If your CPM is $1.12 per mile or less, accept the load. If your CPM is $1.13 or greater, accepting the load cuts into the 30% and reduces your profit.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We figure roughly 20 percent of the vehicle cost per year with selling the truck at the end of the fourth year.
That is hoping the truck will bring 20 percent of its value at trade in/sale. In most cases it should.
That 20 percent comes out of our profit rather than the operating expenses.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We don't make a profit to buy a truck. We buy a truck to make a profit. The truck is an expense. Profit is what you have after all expenses are paid.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
colonel - sir, that is what i am saying too i agree with you. that's what has me confused with these people talking about taking loads for $1.20-$1.40 per mile...........am i missing something?

no my minimum is set at $2.20 per mile plus fsc....that is rock bottom.

I believe you are missing the fact that the people talking about taking loads for that price are generally contracted on with a carrier, and not getting 100% of what is billed to the shipper, whereas you will be the carrier, so of course you will bill for a substantially higher rate.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
We don't make a profit to buy a truck. We buy a truck to make a profit. The truck is an expense. Profit is what you have after all expenses are paid.

Keep talking crazy like that and before you know it you'll be looking squarely at your ROI.

36_22_27-1.gif

A pirate walks into a bar. Bartender notices he has a really large belt buckle shaped like the steering wheel on a ship. The bartender asks about the wheel. The pirate replies...

"Y'arrr....it's driving me nuts!"