Kid-free Zones

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
The no-kids-allowed movement is spreading - Parenting on Shine

An article regarding buisinesses that are banning children or setting specific hours that children are allowed.

Personally, I am in favor of it. I'm CBC and getting old and less tolerant of rambunctious children whose parents won't rein in.

I am for it in certain settings. There is a reason my wife and I decided not to have kids, why should we have to put up with someone elses kids.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
I am for it in certain settings. There is a reason my wife and I decided not to have kids, why should we have to put up with someone elses kids.

I agree, if a business wants to limit their customer base to satisfy a different portion of it, then that is their right imo.

Its no different a theatre blocking cell phone signals, banning children under 6 at certain shows makes for a better environment.

However these business need to be careful not to over do it and risk alienating parents. Every parent has a child under 6 at one point, well except those that adopt older children.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
I agree, if a business wants to limit their customer base to satisfy a different portion of it, then that is their right imo.

Its no different a theatre blocking cell phone signals, banning children under 6 at certain shows makes for a better environment.

However these business need to be careful not to over do it and risk alienating parents. Every parent has a child under 6 at one point, well except those that adopt older children.

Ahh.... but these young parents will get older and less tolerant of screaming kids and then they will know why the restrictions were put in place and they will be just as thankful :D:p

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
If the parents would manage their kids, then maybe they could go out. I'm talking about kids that are old enough to know better, not a baby!!! No reason in the world should a 4 to 10 year old be running around a restaurant or screaming etc.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
If the parents would manage their kids, then maybe they could go out. I'm talking about kids that are old enough to know better, not a baby!!! No reason in the world should a 4 to 10 year old be running around a restaurant or screaming etc.

That's a bigger IF than the national deficit being eliminated. Reality is parenting on the whole isn't getting better, its getting worse, which is the reason why we are moving to a society where people don't want to put up with other people's lack of xxxx

In this case, its a lack of parenting that is causing this new market segment.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The problem is the cycle is getting shorter and shorter. Kids are literally having kids these days and its being glamourized

Its just going full circle.

When my great great grandmother was married, she was 15 because her life expectancy rate was low. She had four kids by the time she was 21.

By the way, why do mothers insist on their new borns out into places like walmarts where people who may not be in the best of shape can give the baby something the mother doesn't want the kid to have - like TB.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Its just going full circle.

When my great great grandmother was married, she was 15 because her life expectancy rate was low. She had four kids by the time she was 21.

I agree my great grandmother and grandmother both married young. The standards now are to wait till at least 18 if not 20 to have kids, when this was not always so.
The big difference is alot of people are having kids before they are married, and I don't think that was quite so common back then.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think it was sort of common, depending on the location and time but the institution of marriage is assaulted by both those inside of it and those outside of it - all trying to redefine what it is.

The one thing that bothers me is how some 'religious' people criticize others for their behavior but justify their own kid's by using the words "can't control what they do".

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
MMMM, interesting idea, a business being allowed to "limit" who can or cannot come into that business. Limit by age, or time, or maybe race again? Any REAL difference?

I don't like screaming kids either. Mine did not. They were NOT allowed to act like that. We also did NOT take them into ADULT settings.

The premise that a business can "discriminate" has been, for the most part, been deemed illegal in this country. A law suit is sure to follow.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
MMMM, interesting idea, a business being allowed to "limit" who can or cannot come into that business. Limit by age, or time, or maybe race again? Any REAL difference?

I don't like screaming kids either. Mine did not. They were NOT allowed to act like that. We also did NOT take them into ADULT settings.

The premise that a business can "discriminate" has been, for the most part, been deemed illegal in this country. A law suit is sure to follow.

Why? Surely a business can decide who they will allow and who they won't ......

....or must they have a babysitter to help them decide
(sorry couldn't resisit that one lol)

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Why? Surely a business can decide who they will allow and who they won't ......

....or must they have a babysitter to help they decide
(sorry couldn't resisit that one lol)

Nope, not here. Underage people cannot go into certain bars, strip joints etc. That is really, in my opinion, the only LEGAL discrimination out there. Children are allowed in places that serve booze, like Ruby Tuesday's and places like it. Olive Garden, Trapperz.

There was a time that black people could not go into certain places. I think the wording goes something like, "race, age, religion, sex" etc. In reality there is no difference between not allowing a black man into an eatery because some customers may be "put off" or not allowing a screaming child.

Just thinking.

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Kid free zones are a good thing. There are other places for parents to congregate with their young children. There comes a time in life when you want to be away from small children. Even your own grandchildren. What's the saying " I love to see my grandchildren come over, and I love to see them go home"...or something. Look at the 55 plus communities in Florida and other states. A good idea in my opinion.
The parents who let their children run wild in public places make all parents suffer the restrictions. what's the other saying. "Your rights stop, when they invade someone elses rights"...again, or something.
A business should be able to cater to the clientele of their choosing, and nor be accused of discrimination, which is a whole other definition.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Kid free zones are a good thing. There are other places for parents to congregate with their young children. There comes a time in life when you want to be away from small children. Even your own grandchildren. What's the saying " I love to see my grandchildren come over, and I love to see them go home"...or something. Look at the 55 plus communities in Florida and other states. A good idea in my opinion.
The parents who let their children run wild in public places make all parents suffer the restrictions. what's the other saying. "Your rights stop, when they invade someone elses rights"...again, or something.
A business should be able to cater to the clientele of their choosing, and nor be accused of discrimination, which is a whole other definition.

We should be able to do a LOT of things, if this was a free country.