just a few questions for the senior expeditors

spongebox

Active Expediter
I'm still new to the expediting biz so a few answers would be awesome, I'm driving for a fleet owner I'm making .32 cpm loaded. 20 dh and layover pay after 48 hours, I'm getting roughly 2000miles a week, I come from a trucking background been a commercial driver for 12 years mostly local tanker and tri-ax, this is the first otr job I have ever had, I was looking for some input on my pay scale to see if is decent for a new expeditor, also dention pay for company driver is that something I get paid or just the truck owner thx for any input

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
What kind of vehicle are you driving? I am assuming a straight truck.v

Sent from my VS910 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk

spongebox

Active Expediter
Re: just a few questions for the senior expeditorsitx a 26 ft straight truck a

Im driving a 26 ft str8 truck with a sleeper

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
My experience as a fleet owner with a driver. I pay the driver 30% of everything. Example, load pays $2.00 a mile plus FSC of $.40 the driver receives 30% of $2.40. Equals about $.72 per mile. We are paid $1.00 a mile on all d/h miles driver would receive $.30 a mile. Detention is paid @ $20 a hr to driver. Layover for the night is the only issue. Flat $100 and every day driver without load is $85. Which is rare. Our opinion is that the driver has applied to our company to support a family and take care of his needs while on the road. He should make a livable wage. These are examples as rates flux daily. On average driver is min $.60 a mile on 2000 miles. A 60/40 is a gamble. I would take a gaurantee. JMO. Good luck!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My experience as a fleet owner with a driver. I pay the driver 30% of everything. Example, load pays $2.00 a mile plus FSC of $.40 the driver receives 30% of $2.40. Equals about $.72 per mile. We are paid $1.00 a mile on all d/h miles driver would receive $.30 a mile. Detention is paid @ $20 a hr to driver. Layover for the night is the only issue. Flat $100 and every day driver without load is $85. Which is rare. Our opinion is that the driver has applied to our company to support a family and take care of his needs while on the road. He should make a livable wage. These are examples as rates flux daily. On average driver is min $.60 a mile on 2000 miles. A 60/40 is a gamble. I would take a gaurantee. JMO. Good luck!

Good to see you with this benefit as well John.....Do you have a limit on the numbers of days one can collect this?

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
It applies 24hrs after the driver completes a 11hr restart or falls on the 34hr restart the next day. I dont think I worded that properly. If the driver comes off a 11hr and sits for a 24hr period, he will collect on that 24hrs. There is no wait. That applies for company drivers only, because it is my truck and I am willing to pay out of my pocket if neccesary to keep the driver happy. Of course we do our best to keep O/O's in money. Thats why we pay d/h on loads that go outside our area. For example, driver delivers to KS,KS. We pay them back to St louis at our cost $1. all miles or build it into the cost when charging the customer. Usually it comes out to be $1.5 a mile.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It applies 24hrs after the driver completes a 11hr restart or falls on the 34hr restart the next day. I dont think I worded that properly. If the driver comes off a 11hr and sits for a 24hr period, he will collect on that 24hrs. There is no wait. That applies for company drivers only, because it is my truck and I am willing to pay out of my pocket if neccesary to keep the driver happy. Of course we do our best to keep O/O's in money. Thats why we pay d/h on loads that go outside our area. For example, driver delivers to KS,KS. We pay them back to St louis at our cost $1. all miles or build it into the cost when charging the customer. Usually it comes out to be $1.5 a mile.

Some customers must balk at the idea of paying back miles i would imagine....so you as in company pays them yourself?

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
Thats my agreement at sign on. And I have honored it everytime. I dont work outside of a certain area. So when the customer calls on a specific lane they know the deal up front. Why send a truck to KS when their is no KS freight?? I lose money sitting a truck waiting for a load to come up. Your suppose to work the lanes you have freight. Maybe theirs a KS carrier out their. Let them have it. I dont want it!

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
Spongebox, here's another comparison for you. Our Fleet Owner pays 60% of the truck rate (1.20 *.6 = .72 cpm) plus 100% of FSC, accessorials.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Ive had a few deadheads to better locations but thats why you do it, Im not going to sit unless Johns got a plan or deal working for the truck, then he pays for us to be there or the customer does, But if you go somewhere there's no freight, it pays you to move to a better area, Ive done that several times and its always made me money. This IS part of expediting, if your Owner or Carrier wont pay to move its still better to bite the bullet and get back to the working paying freight lane. Being close to loads is important, time is the enemy.

tryhours3191

Seasoned Expediter
Im thinking maybe I need to look into running for JD Clark. I have been sitting In Kansas City since six AM Yesterday. My carrier just offered me 25 cents a mile to move to St Louis. Which might be okay however my truck cost 50 cents a mile to run.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
all good info and being paid for every mile the truck moves is good also. what is really important though is whats the final number for all miles at the end of the week or month. thats the number that really matters. all money, all miles loaded or empty and miles you do on your own to move that arent paid. subtract out your fuel cost and then do the math. if you can stay at or above 1.00 a mile for all miles after fuel then the system is working.

as for the numbers given by the op. at .32 and 2000 mi. per wk. thats 640.00 plus the dh pay which at 10% of the loaded would be 200 @ .20 for 40.00 for a 680.00 gross. with out going into all the numbers, on a 60/40 split with the driver paying for fuel and a rate of 1.20/2000 mi.@ 60% = 1440.00 plus a .30 fsc @ 2000 mi.= 600.00 making the gross 2040.00 before fuel with fuel taken out 200 gal for 2000 mi at 4.00 a gal./800.00 plus the 20 gal. for dh/80.00 makes the net after fuel 1160.00 for a roughly 42% increase in net income. { take note, the rate and fsc per mile i used are a general number that i believe represents a good industry average, i also used a 10 mpg fuel rate } so going back to the op's question, its up to you. you will have to do the math on the rate the carrier you are with pays. what the fsc and dh amounts are and what your dh has been averaging plus your actual fuel mileage. my personal answer to this if it was as i posted in my example would be put me on a 60/40 split so i can make more money. 42% is alot.

and you all please correct me if i made a mistake.

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
Call in to the office anytime if just for questions. If I have the answer or a suggestion Im more than willing to help!! 586-746-1345

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
60/40 split? Of? .30 a mile deadhead? Plus Free miles to reposition? What about the line haul revenue? Problem with the 60/40 split? Sure, it protects the owner, not the driver. As most companies, for example the big company that advertises on the home page of EO says $1.6 a mile plus FSC for straight trucks. That's BS! Anyone care to prove me wrong? I have 4 O/O's from that company and not one can remember except on short loads being paid that amount. Let alone all the fees, fines, sitting, on and on. The driver is the one with the risk, expenses, lost wages for sitting, risk of repositioning on his own dime. And on and on. Should it not be 40/60 giving the owner more incentive to seek out the best deal and negotiate the best deal for his truck upping his cut of the pie? JMO. After all the owner is sitting home with his family with the option of having a 2nd income or even investing in more than 1 truck as to where the driver is out trying to provide for his family with the revenue he earns while at the mercy of a dispatcher with a possible bad day or whatever the worst case scenario that could be. IDK. Could be wrong here, but not thinkin so.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
you are right about all the fees that the big carriers charge. dont know for sure which big carrier you are talking about but i have a good idea. hard to focus and read since it scrolls fast, but it does say 1.60 plus. dont know that the plus means plus fsc. i would be inclined to think it means a 1.60 or more including fsc but im not a newbie who could be blinded. bolt in advertising the same but they state fsc included. looked a little but couldnt quickly find one for the fed.

as far as your take on the split pay, i see where a sure thing is attractive. as company drivers go, you get a set pay and if it works it works but in the op's statement about his pay, i was making a comparison on the difference in the amount at what was a respectable industry average. could be less if he were to run somewhere that pays less but i couldnt imagine running a straight for less than that. he would make more money on a split if all things were just, but are they ? just an example of dh and loaded miles.

figure the difference on your pay scale using an average. i dont have a clue as to what your program pays o/o, but if he was at your company on a 60/40 what would he earn on a 2000 mile week with 10% dh. i know you say your rates fluctuate so use an average for linehaul and fsc. i would be interested. thanks

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
I wish I could answer that. The worse case scenario is $1.52 loaded and $1. a mile empty. Thats a straight. But, what about short loads? Min $500. Max ? % or flat? Our deadhead is more like 30% and $2. a average on all miles most time, at 80% So as confused as I am right now I would bet the farm that my straights average $1.45 for 2000 miles.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
ok, so what part of that 1.45 o/o gets is linehaul and what portion fsc on avg. just trying to set up an example, maybe you can do it better than me.