just a few questions for the senior expeditors

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
Wrong person to ask to crunch numbers! I have not had my coffee yet. Im out of cream and too lazy to go get it.And anyways, I confuse myself, let alone anyone who tries to follow my jiber jaber. lol Lets just say we are profitable and very very very little turnover. Most my guys have been here forever through the great and bad because at the end of the day we all do a great job taking care of one another. I know as well as anyone if they where not doing good they would jump ship and I hope they would. Its 99% revenue driven and 1% loyalty. Not to knock my guys, but its a business. I would wish them well to improve their income if it came to that. But for now we are a profitable happy little family. A dysfunctional family. Thats what makes it fun. I wouldnt have it any other way!

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
okey dokey, wasnt tryin to downplay, just trying to give the op more than one example from different carriers.

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
Absolutely. I'm just not the best to explain. Gets lost in translation. Trying to keep Off OVM's radar. : )

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Can't say anything on Bolt but I can say at Panther, 1.60 a mile would be a average for many depending on what the contract is since there are many. Straights just on the base rate are at 1.20 to 1.40 for a dry van plus FSC. .30 cents extra on Government jobs. Reefers are 1.55 to 1.75 on the base plus FSC. With the FSC on a dry van you are roughly at 1.60 to 1.80 on the loaded.
That is with no bonuses or anything else. Tolls are always paid so that isn't factored.
DH is in the 40's for all miles (no giving up 100 miles or something) and empty moves (relocation fee) is around 40 from where you are at. Our DH for the first quarter was 14 percent.
DH can really very from that .40 up to a flat rate or your whole rate. Depends on the need to cover something.
Broker loads are 85 percent.
As for fees, 35 a week for QC and 25.83 a week per driver for accident insurance. The latter should be a given for any driver doing this. No insurance would be foolish. If you can find it at a better rate, you can do that as well.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
I'm driving for a fleet owner I'm making .32 cpm loaded...............

This right here relates directly back to Phils thread about Drivers Lagging Pay:

http://www.expeditersonline.com/for...rum/53431-truckers-lagging-earning-power.html

How long has .32 cents per mile been on the books????

15 years???

20 years???

I recall some 25 years ago when I got my full blown CDL A with HM to do drive for my best friends Dad after the Military (W Texas Route) that I was considering going to drive Big Trucks for .28 - .30 cents a mile to make more money. Now today I am still reading and seeing .32 cents a mile some 20 years later from Carriers and Fleet Owners all over the place.

Ridiculous............IMO.

This probably belongs in Phils thread.........but............ :)