July Shut Down

miguy1957

Expert Expediter
Does anyone know what all Companies are Shut Down?? If so Who is shut down and for how Long?? Just wondering if its prudent to leave home or just stay put and for how long... Anyone with any info??
________
Leather Webcam

Last edited:

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Uh....July shutdown? Never even heard of it.

I heard about the April 1st shut down, but that just turned out to be another April Fools Day.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Typically the Big Three, Detroit, The Big Two, The Automotive Industry or whatever they are know as shuts down to retool for the new model year. If your carrier relies heavily on automotive related freight you may notice a slow down..

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
july is when auto ind shuts down for new model year and takes about 2 weeks to change over for next model or so

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hehehe....well that explains it. Here I was thinking we were talking another trucker shutdown.

I'm shutting down on Friday for 9 days to practice the "Retirement Reaction Drill." Got to be ready if and when that day ever comes.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
july is when auto ind shuts down for new model year and takes about 2 weeks to change over for next model or so

That's the old days where everything needed to be changed in order to bring the line up to the new model but look around.... all the cars look the same and there are crossovers of models and even brands on the same line. AND I don't know if Toyota and Honda do this but the last time I was at one of their suppliers they changed a complete production line in one day.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I worked for an industrial cleaning company that had the contract with Toyota in Georgetown , KY . During the 2 week shutdowns in July and December they would do extensive cleaning and maintenance . It takes a while to clean paint booths and remove the buildup in the drains under them . They probably give vacation time during those shutdowns also .

jasonsprouse

Expert Expediter
Right, shutdowns are when the production people get their vacations. This is when major maintenance and retooling are normally done.

If sales are slow shutdown can be extended, if it's busy it can be shortened. I used to work for Ford Cleveland and some of the lines worked straight through shutdown (truck engine line when trucks were still selling).

mhoy40

Expert Expediter
shut downs for july go like this this for july 2008:
week 1 gm
week 2 gm and ford
week 3 ford an chrysler
week4 chrysler
this is the general shut down schedule there are of course so exeptions to this such as ford truck plants according to the uaw news letter that my brother in law gets(ford employee) they will be down for 9 weeks to retool for non truck production another words they are retooling them to make cars not trucks. and leys not forget that the next round of major plant clousures is right around the corner those for ford will happen starting in august.
hope that helps

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
shut downs for july go like this this for july 2008:
week 1 gm
week 2 gm and ford
week 3 ford an chrysler
week4 chrysler
this is the general shut down schedule there are of course so exeptions to this such as ford truck plants according to the uaw news letter that my brother in law gets(ford employee) they will be down for 9 weeks to retool for non truck production another words they are retooling them to make cars not trucks. and leys not forget that the next round of major plant clousures is right around the corner those for ford will happen starting in august.
hope that helps

where's toyota ??? honda??? nissian??? and some of them others they dont make the shut down list????