Iv'e had it

24darode

Seasoned Expediter
Weve sat for 3 days in Baltimore, 4 days around Harrisburg at $1.12 a mile with half going to the owner and todays fuel prices I'm better off saying welcome to Wal-Mart if I could clear $600 a week in a cargo van I'd do that. I've ranted enough I guess, just frustrated freezing because I can't afford to waste fuel

Last edited:

24darode

Seasoned Expediter
I would rather not get into that because it doesn't do any one any good I'm just frustrated because I'm going broke and see no way out

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
To (CAVE MAN)]
You got one choice tell the Company to get me moving NOW or You won't like the publicity, and neither will the company 30 hour and 60 hour layovers is bull roar. No loads well then it's time to go home.
Signed
ICEROADTRUCKER
RIDGE RUNNER

Last edited:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Giving the name of your company can help you more than it'll hurt them. If someone else runs for the same company, you could get a pm telling you how to improve your decision making. Or, someone can pm you telling you to run for the hills. Get enough of those, and you'll know something is up.

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
If you want advice tell the company name...Maybe it's your fault maybe their.For this we need complete info:cool:

Reactions: 1 person

alborada

Seasoned Expediter
I would rather not get into that because it doesn't do any one any good I'm just frustrated because I'm going broke and see no way out.

Most of teh important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on thring when there seemed to be not hope al all.
Keep doing the best I know that is a paine of the a......... all this things are slow and bad now but like others ssaid let we see what wiil happening in March ..........

R

riverrat

it is the slowest i have seen it in 9 years of doing this I think the whole expedite industry is in for some very lean times, on the bright side i am getting a lot of 34 hr restarts between loads,lol

rmctt2

Seasoned Expediter
I pulled into White Marsh GMP Plant in MD on Friday..
Drove to Pilot on I95 exit 93 in Perryville...Spent the weekend plus today ( Monday)..One possible going to Florida but bid fell through..
They ( Bolt) wanted to DH me to Cleveland OH with no garrantee of a load from there either...Deided to stay in PerryVille the night..
See if Tuesday looks better...
Stinks yes....but DHing to another area of no garantee to me is stupid...
Tomorrow is another day... LOL

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Sounds like it's getting slow for quite a few out there? But, it is getting time for a thinning of the herd followers.

Most cases i've seen, it's not the company it's the herd.

Y'all kinda wish'in you'd run whenyou had the chance a while back??

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Me too!

I've had it with this cold weather.

The salt spray is murder on my truck.

It stays clean when it is in the driveway.

And all that driving at night. What's that all about?

How do these shippers think I can enjoy God's beautiful creation driving down the superslabs at night.

Yep, thats' me! I'm a solar-powered driver.

Give me good weather and I'll stay our forever.

24darode

Seasoned Expediter
I'm not saying it's the carrier or the owner. It's just one of those days when you compare last years fuel costs and the fsc the loads and dead head for the loads now it just gets frustrating sitting having to idle we stay in service 85% only turned down 7 loads in almost 3 years just sitting and thinking too much I guess thanks for the encouragement though every one

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah Col...this is the season to separate the stickers from the wanna bees.....
we are still managing 1,000 - 1,200 miles a week but its a push at that.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
I do not see a thinning of the herd coming. Remember for every van or truck that calls it quits the carrier will replace it with another, there is a never ending supply and areas have to be covered. There is a major slowdown happening now and it will last all this year and possibly into 2009. The paid tourist types with the second income will have the best chance at getting through this slow period and alot of the ones doing this for a living will be looking for other lines of work.

Critter Truckin

Expert Expediter
I'm just trying to figure out who the Nostradamus is in this bunch. How do we know that it's going to be slow throughout 2008 into 09?

Fact is this... This business has way too many unknowns for us all to figure out. Like this one... whoda thunk that we would have gotten over 12k miles last month? But that this month, we're sitting at around 3000 into the the second week.

Hang around for a bit... no use in letting them see you sweat. Makes their heads swell.

E

express1man

Hey! Dont feel bad. I have been sitting in Milford, CT for 4 days now. I think I have burned more fuel sitting here trying to stay warm than I do on most trips I take.

Before starting into this business, I haul cars locally for a municipality. I was always on the move and working my tail off even in harsh weather. Now all I do is sit and wait for my company to determine how far my truck can go and how much money I am allowed to make. And if I book my own loads to stay on top, they cancel my contract.

I am considering bumping my class B to an A and start driving a real truck. At least then I know I can get some miles under my belt with a steady income. I think if the expedite companies had to pay detention time for layovers they might be more motivated in getting loads for the trucks sitting. Maybe the company I drive for has over satuated with trucks that now they are just so big they cant find enough work for the drivers that are out there. Good for them cause they have trucks scattered all over the place with drivers that cant afford to go anywhere without getting a load. Bad for the drivers cause they have to spend money to live on until they get the next load. I bet them big trucking companies dont have this problem...

groinster

Seasoned Expediter
We've actually had a better Jan/Feb this year then we had last year. Sittin' is part of the game, that is why some us can hack this job and a lot of us can't. We just had a load to Stockton, CA cancel on us Monday and now we are back in snow country and hating it, :( but...it comes with the job.