It's Time To Be Reliable.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The only time a doctor gets involved with expediting is when you crash your cargo van and the company that you work for sends the doctors out to make sure your cargo is salvageable. Instead of picking you up off the road, the docs wheel the gurney over to the boxes of freight and carefully place them into the albulance for transport to their final destination. lol

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
And we would never flip burgers also.Finaly....:)

Why? Do you have something against burgers? I have worked in 3 different MickeyD's in my employment history. I'm not ashamed of that, and if it was something that I would rather be doing right now then I would do it. Why do you consider that such a lowly and unworthy job? I hate to think of what your opinion is of the people that clean the toilets and showers in the truck stops all day. I'm sorry, but a person's job does not determine their worth or "class". It just determines how much money and time they were able to invest in their education to obtain the type of work that they wanted to do. Someone with a college education is no better than I am, and I am no better than someone else who does not have the skills and job experience that I do. Get my point?

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Some people are happy washing dishes. I love to clean and I loved it when I was the dish washer, dough maker, delivery driver at Pizza Hut in the late nineties. I also love the thrill of expediting and driving all night to service the customer. There is nothing wrong with being a producer in society. What would happen if everyone wanted to be a surgeon? Imagine three unemployed surgeons scrubbing up in the McDonalds restroom every time they had to cook some hamburger paddies? Paging Doctor Doofus, we need you in food prep stat. We all contribute to society in meaningful ways. One part of the economy cannot thrive without the other part. So take pride in what you do for a living.

Nadal

Seasoned Expediter
Nobody is forcing people to keep doing what we are doing. We keeping doing it because we either like it or its a temporary solution for them.

First :I;m talking about drivers not fleet owners.

Second: 70-80 % are no other choice.They have no education, no skills no money to invest in a business.

Third: you saing: ''You probably are doing this type of job because you have no other choice at the moment, again that is my theory.''
I;m not doing this job at all.My family own couple of trucks.I see drivers without health insurance, bank account ,without home, without family,zero money in their pocket,bankrupt.That's why I said what I said.
If I offend anybody please accept my apology.Don't forget,I said 70-80%. The rest are the exceptions.

Nadal

Seasoned Expediter
Why? Do you have something against burgers? I have worked in 3 different MickeyD's in my employment history. I'm not ashamed of that, and if it was something that I would rather be doing right now then I would do it. Why do you consider that such a lowly and unworthy job? I hate to think of what your opinion is of the people that clean the toilets and showers in the truck stops all day. I'm sorry, but a person's job does not determine their worth or "class". It just determines how much money and time they were able to invest in their education to obtain the type of work that they wanted to do. Someone with a college education is no better than I am, and I am no better than someone else who does not have the skills and job experience that I do. Get my point?

OK.You absolutly right.But if you rigth (and you are), why do you not jump to the previos post where says that a doctor never would drive a van?WHy?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
It seems that many have the opinion that if they left expediting, all they could find is work at McD's. Frankly, Inkasnana, it doesn't take major skills to work fast food. That's why it's considered bottom of the rung. No, you're right in that someone with their college degree is not better than you. But if that person is making more money, then they have a better lifestyle. Personally, I did not come into this biz to make the wages they do at McD's. If that were the case, I'd be home flipping pizzas while going to school for something else. I'm happy doing what I'm doing, because I too hate the grind.

We do have to look at the facts of this, tho. Ppl are losing their jobs, and looking at truck driving as an alternative to flipping burgers, and still hold on to their dignities. Fact is, however, is that there are few who will take on newbs. And expediting, for the most part, welcomes them. So we will have more ppl coming into the biz who will compare expediting to McD's, because that is probably their only other opertunity. Face it... expediting looks good to the down and out.

As far as accepting less and giving more goes, how low will you go? Ppl talk about thinning the herd. But if more ppl are down and out, will they fill the herd? That will just drive the rates lower. Some, like me, will feel screwed when offered $1.35, as an independent, just as I'm sure TS owners feel the same way with their rates hitting 1.05. Once that bottom falls out, we'll be fighting over .75/mi, or less. Then the McD job will look very good. But by then, they'll all be taken by laid off executives.

Last edited:

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
Nobody is forcing people to keep doing what we are doing. We keeping doing it because we either like it or its a temporary solution for them.

Second: 70-80 % are no other choice.They have no education, no skills no money to invest in a business.

Third: you saing: ''You probably are doing this type of job because you have no other choice at the moment, again that is my theory.''
I;m not doing this job at all.My family own couple of trucks.I see drivers without health insurance, bank account ,without home, without family,zero money in their pocket,bankrupt.That's why I said what I said.
If I offend anybody please accept my apology.Don't forget,I said 70-80%. The rest are the exceptions.

well, I don't get where fleet owners came into the picture? The way you wrote everything, I assumed and made it sound like you were talking about drivers or o/o? And just wondering where you are getting the pertcentages? And plus, what you said has nothing to do with what you were talking in the previous post? If you are trying to confuse me, you're doing a good job. :confused:

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Yes drivers are bankrupt. You can't build the greatest future driving a cargo van or even driving a tractor trailer for a larger company. But you can build a good future if you are a team and have your own tractor trailer and authority, or drive for Fedex as a husband and wife team. It's like any other job. Some people have great succeess while others do not. I can go and get into a lease contract right now in a big truck and run my wheels off. Does that mean i'm going to have any more money inside my bank account this time next year? Life is what you make of it. A lot of people can live just fine on 2k a month after expenses; just most won't lower their standard of living in order to accommodate such an income.

If you do not want to be considrerd unskilled then you can train for a better job. That is if you consider driving a truck unskilled labor! When I was in truck driving school there was a big scary looking guy in the class; a very manly looking type of guy. Guess what. He cried when he was asked to take the bobtail for a ride on the freeway. He was scared to death of the truck and could not drive it on the freeway. Needless to say he was sent home. So, driving a truck does take skills that a lot of office people, doctors and lawyers, and public officials do not have. It takes intestinal fortitude.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter

Where are you getting your percentage information from? Can you point me to some factual information to back up your statement or are you just going by your own experience with your family's business? There are plenty of drivers who have extensive education, plenty of other skills and the money to run their businesses successfully. Yes, being a driver is running your own business. We do not "work" for someone else, we are not employees. We are business owners.

Not to be insulting to you, but your ignorance of this business is clouding your judgment and perception. I think you really need to do some research and educate yourself on this business before posting the statements that you are making.

Nadal

Seasoned Expediter
Where are you getting your percentage information from? Can you point me to some factual information to back up your statement or are you just going by your own experience with your family's business? There are plenty of drivers who have extensive education, plenty of other skills and the money to run their businesses successfully. Yes, being a driver is running your own business. We do not "work" for someone else, we are not employees. We are business owners.

Not to be insulting to you, but your ignorance of this business is clouding your judgment and perception. I think you really need to do some research and educate yourself on this business before posting the statements that you are making.

One more time,I;m talking about drivers not owner operators or fleet owners.That is a different story.FRom where I have my numbers? From job applications.And if you not belive me go in any Truckstop, go in the tv room and wach their faces.Do that couple of minutes and you will think different.Trust me.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
It seems that many have the opinion that if they left expediting, all they could find is work at McD's. Frankly, Inkasnana, it doesn't take major skills to work fast food. That's why it's considered bottom of the rung. No, you're right in that someone with their college degree is not better than you. But if that person is making more money, then they have a better lifestyle. Personally, I did not come into this biz to make the wages they do at McD's. If that were the case, I'd be home flipping pizzas while going to school for something else. I'm happy doing what I'm doing, because I too hate the grind.

We do have to look at the facts of this, tho. Ppl are losing their jobs, and looking at truck driving as an alternative to flipping burgers, and still hold on to their dignities. Fact is, however, is that there are few who will take on newbs. And expediting, for the most part, welcomes them. So we will have more ppl coming into the biz who will compare expediting to McD's, because that is probably their only other opertunity. Face it... expediting looks good to the down and out.

As far as accepting less and giving more goes, how low will you go? Ppl talk about thinning the herd. But if more ppl are down and out, will they fill the herd? That will just drive the rates lower. Some, like me, will feel screwed when offered $1.35, as an independent, just as I'm sure TS owners feel the same way with their rates hitting 1.05. Once that bottom falls out, we'll be fighting over .75/mi, or less. Then the McD job will look very good. But by then, they'll all be taken by laid off executives.

I'm just saying that just because someone works at McD does not mean that they are of less worth than anyone else. There are people who choose to work there and are very happy with their employment choice. No it doesn't take a lot of skill to work there, but neither do a lot of other jobs. I'm just saying that a person's profession does not determine their personal worth, whether it be a "bottom of the rung burger flipper" or a highly paid surgeon.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
One more time,I;m talking about drivers not owner operators or fleet owners.That is a different story.FRom where I have my numbers? From job applications.And if you not belive me go in any Truckstop, go in the tv room and wach their faces.Do that couple of minutes and you will think different.Trust me.

First of all, I don't know why you keep insisting that anyone is talking about fleet owners. I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere except in your posts. Secondly, I'm amazed that you can obtain percentage numbers like that just by spending "a couple minutes" looking at the faces of people in a truck stop tv room. What relevance does that have with the information you have provided?

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
First of all, I don't know why you keep insisting that anyone is talking about fleet owners. I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere except in your posts. Secondly, I'm amazed that you can obtain percentage numbers like that just by spending "a couple minutes" looking at the faces of people in a truck stop tv room. What relevance does that have with the information you have provided?

I agree, one look at me, you would never think I could hold a high professional job. Never judge a book by its cover. :p

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Look at most peoples faces watching TV and they look zoned. That can be in a truck stop or in a living room. We have also seen many groups in the TV sharing a victory over some sports event or when 911 happened many people leaning on each other watching that. How many at home had such a big group for support?

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
There are plenty of drivers who have extensive education, plenty of other skills and the money to run their businesses successfully. Yes, being a driver is running your own business. We do not "work" for someone else, we are not employees. We are business owners.
:))Yeah right.Plenty of drivers have extensive education.If they have this kind of education why they spend their skills in this industry?
What do mean ''We do not work for someone else'' We are business owners"" ??? You or a driver (and you drive for somebody) or you an o/o (and now you business owner).

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
There are plenty of drivers who have extensive education, plenty of other skills and the money to run their businesses successfully. Yes, being a driver is running your own business. We do not "work" for someone else, we are not employees. We are business owners.
:))Yeah right.Plenty of drivers have extensive education.If they have this kind of education why they spend their skills in this industry?
What do mean ''We do not work for someone else'' We are business owners"" ??? You or a driver (and you drive for somebody) or you an o/o (and now you business owner).

ATeam is an excellent example of drivers who have extensive education, and they CHOOSE to live this lifestyle. My husband and I both have some college education (no, we do not have degrees) as well as excellent skills and experience that are suited for other professions, but we CHOOSE this lifestyle. We are friends with other drivers that have education and skills and experience that are suited for other professions and they also CHOOSE this lifestyle. Where is this stereotyping coming from that truck drivers are uneducated, unskilled and not suited for any other type of work?

As for your other point, yes I am a business owner. While I do drive for someone who owns the truck, my success or failure is entirely dependent upon me. If I don't manage my business well, it will fail. If I don't run the miles, I won't make the income. If I don't keep accurate records, I won't have any idea of where I stand financially. If I don't follow through with my paperwork at the end of each load, I won't get paid. If I don't keep track of my expenses and my receipts, I won't have the information I need to accurately file taxes. If I don't watch my expenses, I won't have the money I need to do what I have to do. It IS a business and I am NOT an employee of anyone.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
Well, if you sign a contract and your owner tells you how and when you have to do something, you are employee. But, again, this falls back to what is said in the contract. If you let the owner put in the contract on how to operate, to a certain extent of course, that is the drivers fault. Probably should of not signed the contract.

Just a short definition of the word contract.

con⋅tract
   /n., adj., and usually for v. 15–17, 21, 22 ˈkɒntrækt; otherwise v. kənˈtrækt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [n., adj., and usually for v. 15–17, 21, 22 kon-trakt; otherwise v. kuhn-trakt] Show IPA
–noun
1. an agreement between two or more parties for the doing or not doing of something specified.

Here is a brief line in our contract to give you a ideal.

BCD (which is us) agrees to direct the operation of the Equipment and to determine the method, manner and means of performing the contractual obligations under this Agreement in all respects, and shall in its sole discretion have the right to accept or reject loads tendered by Contractor or Carrier; BCD shall also direct the days and time BCD will operate the Equipment, the routes traveled, parking sites, and the repair of the Equipment. Nothing contained herein shall be construed as vesting in Contractor any control over or right to control BCD or any of his/her drivers or other personnel.

Nadal

Seasoned Expediter
ATeam is an excellent example of drivers who have extensive education, and they CHOOSE to live this lifestyle. My husband and I both have some college education (no, we do not have degrees) as well as excellent skills and experience that are suited for other professions, but we CHOOSE this lifestyle. We are friends with other drivers that have education and skills and experience that are suited for other professions and they also CHOOSE this lifestyle. Where is this stereotyping coming from that truck drivers are uneducated, unskilled and not suited for any other type of work?

As for your other point, yes I am a business owner. While I do drive for someone who owns the truck, my success or failure is entirely dependent upon me. If I don't manage my business well, it will fail. If I don't run the miles, I won't make the income. If I don't keep accurate records, I won't have any idea of where I stand financially. If I don't follow through with my paperwork at the end of each load, I won't get paid. If I don't keep track of my expenses and my receipts, I won't have the information I need to accurately file taxes. If I don't watch my expenses, I won't have the money I need to do what I have to do. It IS a business and I am NOT an employee of anyone.

ATeam I think are o/o. Our discussion was about drivers.I don't know why you keep being confuse regarding drivers and o/o. One more time what I said about drivers (persons who drives for somebody) was about 70% from them.Definitely you part from the remaining 30%.I dono why you fell so offended.Repeat,What I said was about the 70-80 % of the drivers.This 70-80% is aprox % and yes ,this is my opinion.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
ATeam I think are o/o. Our discussion was about drivers.I don't know why you keep being confuse regarding drivers and o/o. One more time what I said about drivers (persons who drives for somebody) was about 70% from them.Definitely you part from the remaining 30%.I dono why you fell so offended.Repeat,What I said was about the 70-80 % of the drivers.This 70-80% is aprox % and yes ,this is my opinion.

Ok, I do not understand your distinction between an o/o and a driver. Owner/operators also DRIVE. I'm guessing that you are saying that just because someone drives a truck that belongs to someone else that they are uneducated, unskilled and not suited for any other type of work? So owning the truck yourself means you are a more worthwhile person? Where is that lopsided logic coming from? Certainly NOT from the couple of minutes that you spent looking at people's faces in a truck stop tv room!