Its Termination time Get the Raid

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The Economy is in the dumps and the Shippers are afarid to ship and the Buyers are afarid to buy. The Banks got the money but wont loan.

I am sitting here wondering WHAT IS the real reason that about every 3rd load Canxs. Gimmy a Break. Geessh

Especialy if its a big load, for some reason it canx. (POOF be Gone). Its magic first its there then its not. (What Happened?)

Now seriously I think the Companies should hold Customers feet to the fire.
They order the truck once its in Motion the job order is set in stone. No Canx. They do this the customers will think twice before they play russian roulet with I need a truck ooo I found this one cheaper. Canx the other truck. This whats realy happening. They secure a truck then find a company to do it cheaper then at the last min CANX. Shame on them let them companies be Black Listed. Messing with peoples Lives like that is a bunch of Hooweeeee.
There are those that sit in cubicals and say hey thats the business.
Well I say check it out. Got any back bone then show some.
stand up for us let em know They want us we move, We do then they pay. That should stop the russian Roulete with with the Trucks. That is the way it should go, and it is fare.

Seems to me that the only time the load dont canx is if its 1.50 or lower amile. Then it dont canx.

Well since I know I can do runs to CA for a 1.50 amile well then
what ya waiten for.

In other words this bussiness has turned into a cut throat bussiness so to speak. (CUT RATE) If this keeps up how can any one one realy make it. I was told at one time didnt matter good economy bad economy the Expedite business stayed the same the Customer paid no matter what as the freight had to be there. I see thats gone.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
As most of you know,Ive been in this business for a long time.Ive had my share of cancelled loads,and they cancel for many reasons.I had one cancel years ago,shipper claimed he never called Roberts for a truck.I was on the phone 3rd party call when the dispatch agent asked how she got the shippers home phone number to let him know she had a truck on the way.I have been at shippers,when a load was double dispatched,that happened early this year,JFK airport,load went out night before the day I was to pick it up.I did get loaded JFK the next morning.Sometimes shipper wants freight off his dock,conignee doesnt want to take the freight,calls shipper and says dont ship it.Sometimes,freight just wont be ready to ship.There isnt any company going to risk loosing a good customer over a cancelled load,you just have to hope,it cancels before you leave for the pick up.I once had one cancel when I was dead heading to Scramento Ca.from home,it didnt cancel til i was in Salt lake City.Conversation on the phone was very heated.There were two of these loads,and the other guy got his load, I was closer to the pick up,worked out ok though,Got paid to sit in Sacramento til the next week when that load finally picked up.But took lots of complaining to get the layover pay.Cancelled loads are part of things that happen in the expedite business.We all hate when it happens

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Yes, canceled loads happen, we had one cancel last night. We've also had a load cancel after the freight was loaded on to our truck. That was interesting, lady came out of the office and said, the consignee didn't need it afterall. Should have seen the look on the forklift drivers face! LOL
Luckily, it was only about 5 miles DH and we got a dryrun, so it was a GREAT paying run.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I dont want to even go any farther on loads canx except this morning I got a call from the fred the FedEX load computer, which was on the load that canx yesterday. Telling me again it canx. Rub Salt into the sore.

I can be in Baltimore within the hour. have a nice day.

Jimbo I know your out here Happy New Years. :p

Have a nice day.

Last edited:

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I have been seeing more cancellations lately, but what else I'm seeing is that the same load will show up in more than one place, so the shippers and/or brokers are shopping the loads around for the best rate, and it doesn't matter if one carrier is already booked when another comes in with a lower rate.

With that said, a lot of what I'm seeing is that brokers or other carriers will take a bid but won't award me the load until they're sure they have it, which I guess eliminates the dry run fee that I could otherwise get if I had already been awarded the load. Yesterday I bid on a load and was told that I had the low bid but, "let me call you back with the details." The guy called me back ten minutes later to tell me that the load wasn't going. Since I hadn't been awarded the load yet and hadn't driven anywhere, there was no dry run. It seems that the shippers are just shopping around more and even some of the larger carriers and/or brokers are not getting loads they think they're getting when the shipper finds a better rate. Where it gets tricky is if they need to make sure they have a truck to cover a load and sometimes that involves using a partner. So they get a partner lined up and then the shipper decides to go with someone else. So then you have the original carrier and then the partner who both thought they were getting something only to have it cancel. What I have noticed lately is that the carrier brokering the load out is hesitant to officially award it to the low bidder until they're absolutely sure they're not going to lose the load. No sense paying out any more dry run payments than you have to.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Part of the problem at least as I see it is the penalty is not high enough for ordering a truck and then canceling the truck. They should charge an amount that will discourage the practice. I'll bet there is a lot more canceling due to finding a cheaper rate, than any other reason.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thats true, more canx lately.

One thing that is for sure if your 50 miles from the house ya get offered all kinds of J to take especialy if you got a less than 75 on a load that canx. Fare is fare, U need a team then hey offer somthing to heal the wound not sting the sore.
Dont be tantilize me with a load with up teen dozen drops and a unreal time table. and say no its not confirmed.
To me thats looks like a GAR FISH, all bones and not good at all for eating.
Thats just tells me its another load going to canx if its not Confirmed. Confirmed realy dont mean anything either as Ive had them Canx like the one that just canx on me. It was Confirmed.
Confirm the thing Big Bite and Ill Jerk the rod to real it in and keep it. But all I see right now is Gar and Guppies
So I say PASS!!!!
No thanks to be polite.
Im fishing right now and I throwing back the ones that put the truck in a area to no where.

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
For those that have never spent time in a dispatch office,have no idea what happens or how the system works.Loads are sent out in the order they come in,there isnt time to try and find any special truck for that special load.Whether your on 75 status or not,if you are home or on your way home,or if that 5000 dollar load just canceled.When a load is sent out,no matter what kind of system your on,being which ever company your driving with.It will either be good or you might feel its bad,but at least they sent you a run.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
For those that have never spent time in a dispatch office,have no idea what happens or how the system works.Loads are sent out in the order they come in,there isnt time to try and find any special truck for that special load.Whether your on 75 status or not,if you are home or on your way home,or if that 5000 dollar load just canceled.When a load is sent out,no matter what kind of system your on,being which ever company your driving with.It will either be good or you might feel its bad,but at least they sent you a run.

Ya your right. I dont dispute the above. (You) .
But there are times the fruit needs culled just like corn needs shucked.

Last edited:

CharlesD

Expert Expediter

The cancellations are not the dispatcher's fault anyway. It's usually the shipper or the broker that is shopping around and will often cancel one carrier and give it to another if the other one comes along with a better rate. The dispatchers can't control that.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
The back stabbing and throat cutting is going to be going on for a few more months as right now there is more capacity than loads. So it's a shipper/load brokers market rather than haulers market. We'll have to suffer and hope we can get enough to keep us in business.

I've lost two loads this holiday week so far and both were due to our prices being too high. I did mention to the office to watch pricing and adjust down so as to get the calls, but they insisted we get a decent profit out of the runs, where I was willing to settle for a reasonable profit. Not as good but still keeps the wheels turning and making a buck or two.
Rob

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Sure. It's the money game. I've had bids in with three differerent sources at the same time for the same load. Nickel or so difference with each one. SSSoooo. if the load cancelled with a couple, usually weren't a problem not running. Two CAN play the money game ya know. If, for some reason two acceptances came in for what I figgured wuz the same load and I were wrong, i'd jes tell the second one that called "took ya too long, i'm loaded". Two can play the multiple truck game too. Problem is, most ya got the tail wagg'in the dog.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Part of the problem at least as I see it is the penalty is not high enough for ordering a truck and then canceling the truck. They should charge an amount that will discourage the practice.

I agree! When I was at Con-Way a dry run was $74 for a van. Dry runs were not common. Now get I get $25 for a dry run and the frequency increased. One afternoon I had two within 3 hours.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sure. It's the money game. I've had bids in with three differerent sources at the same time for the same load. Nickel or so difference with each one. SSSoooo. if the load cancelled with a couple, usually weren't a problem not running. Two CAN play the money game ya know. If, for some reason two acceptances came in for what I figgured wuz the same load and I were wrong, i'd jes tell the second one that called "took ya too long, i'm loaded". Two can play the multiple truck game too. Problem is, most ya got the tail wagg'in the dog.

Just toss me a bone and call me FIDO!!;)

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
....If, for some reason two acceptances came in for what I figgured wuz the same load and I were wrong, i'd jes tell the second one that called "took ya too long, i'm loaded"....

What would you say the ratio would be for the number of times you were wrong, in relation to the number of times you were correct? 1/50 ? 1/100 ?

dodgeboy

Seasoned Expediter
I agree! When I was at Con-Way a dry run was $74 for a van. Dry runs were not common. Now get I get $25 for a dry run and the frequency increased. One afternoon I had two within 3 hours.

Hey moot, are you driving for panther?

When I was at panther I was paid a fifty dollar flat rate for dry runs!

I think you're getting ripped off there because the company does charge a good bit of money when a load cancells.

Are there any drivers in here who still get 62% of the fee that your carrier charges the shipper when a load cancells?

Last edited:

CharlesD

Expert Expediter

I've pulled that a couple times. Both times I got the load from one company and the other company called me and told me that they lost it to someone cheaper. My bid was the same with both companies, so the company that gave me the load probably just took a smaller margin for it.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey moot, are you driving for panther?

When I was at panther I was paid a fifty dollar flat rate for dry runs!

I think you're getting ripped off there because the company does charge a good bit of money when a load cancells.

Are there any drivers in here who still get 62% of the fee that your carrier charges the shipper when a load cancels?

I've gotten as much as $124 for a canceled run...I don't have a clue as to how E-1 bills for canceled...and thats MY fault. I should know...afterall it effects my business.:cool: