Its official as USA and Mexico sign pact to screw American truckers

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most the loads were not CV hell cargo van freight is slim for long runs I am talking about straight trucks and semis where the real money is at .

Ya mean I am not making real money? is it fake? LOL

Just yankin your chain....:p

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
U all can move to the Phillippines, 42 pecos to the dollar. 30000 dollars US, will last u about 85 years there. Its a thought and u aint gotta work either. Isnt Rev over there now, ask him. Yes this was a side trip, but there are options to life and trucking is a pimple on ur fanny and we have options in life out here. No one is holding a 12 ga to our head to stay in this business, IMHO:D Now, that said, will someone get me a load.lol.:)

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Mexican truckers will also create jobs here or at least create a little extra revenue...

They eat just like us....
They will need to fuel....
They will breakdown and need fixin...
They will pay tolls....
They will cross scales and be nailed for that little marker light out...

That is revenue neutral, The American hauling the load would spend money on the same things. Only difference, the pay goes in the Mexican drivers pocket not the Americans.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
As I said earlier...a good businessman will make the best of this and find a way to make money...thru Mexican carriers or brokering....there will be adjustments to be made...

and to think of all them Mexicans that will be out of a job as well...this isn't sitting too good with them either...

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Juarez alone in 2010 had over 8000 known murders

with a population of 1.5 million. New York City had approx. 530 with a population five times that of Juarez. Granted, NYC is a lot safer now than it was in the 70's, but wow! :eek: :eek:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That is revenue neutral, The American hauling the load would spend money on the same things. Only difference, the pay goes in the Mexican drivers pocket not the Americans.

From the HOS thread...La hood had a plan for them displaced drivers...:rolleyes:

The ATA, a trade group based in Arlington, Va., estimates the rule changes will require companies to hire some 100,000 new drivers–more than twice the number estimated by the Transportation Department—and will cost more than $2 billion a year industrywide.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
with a population of 1.5 million. New York City had approx. 530 with a population five times that of Juarez. Granted, NYC is a lot safer now than it was in the 70's, but wow! :eek: :eek:
Juarez, Mexico - Murder Capital of the World - CBS News

My good friend is a DEA agent and works in El Paso office he says it's even worse than everyone hears it's real bad over in Juarez.

You understand what I mean by real money nothing against vanners I was one for a few years but the darn rates get down and the freight gets slow and bang I get hungry and have to cook what I hunt at the truck stop.

I mean real money by the cost per mile of a truck and the rate the trucks roll at. those are the huge losses to companies and small OO like me.

The produce and fresh flower and tree loads from mexico pay good in reefers and I am sure those will be shipped direct unless the shippers do not trust the Mexican drivers to make the many stops those loads always have attached.

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As I said earlier...a good businessman will make the best of this and find a way to make money...thru Mexican carriers or brokering....there will be adjustments to be made...

and to think of all them Mexicans that will be out of a job as well...this isn't sitting too good with them either...

You would have to explain that one to me, I am not sure how it would lower jobs there The actual affect would be increased jobs.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You would have to explain that one to me, I am not sure how it would lower jobs there The actual affect would be increased jobs.

Because a lot of them workers in Laredo and others for the most part live in Mexico and have green cards...there will be less Mexican shuttle drivers...

And besides how many Mexicans would actually qualify to make the crossing to come into the US? DHS is not going to cut them any slack...IMO

Not like there is a glut of qualified drivers ready to go...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Because a lot of them workers in Laredo and others for the most part live in Mexico and have green cards...there will be less Mexican shuttle drivers...

And besides how many Mexicans would actually qualify to make the crossing to come into the US? DHS is not going to cut them any slack...IMO

Not like there is a glut of qualified drivers ready to go...

Mexico does not have nation wide cdl or drug testing programs. That was two things nafta required. La Hood went ahead and wants to start the program anyway. Relive me they will get by with things people here do not.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
What are you even trying to say? There is no comparison to be made. If I take a load from Detroit to Laredo and some one else takes it into Mexico did I not just get a 1600 mile load. If a driver from Mexico picks up that load in Detroit and takes it into Mexico did I just not get 1600 miles?

Ah but there is - a foreign country is still a foreign country. It doesn't matter what you do, there is enough freight out there to be used somewhere else and to think that Laredo is the only game in town, seems to make me think that your carrier isn't doing their job.

If you did take something into Mexico (which I highly doubt) you would only go a very few miles into the country. With Canada the roads are good and it is much safer you can go hundreds of miles into the country. I also know people in Texas, used to live there and the huge majority will not cross that border even if they did on a regular basis ten years ago. My Sister used to run a car parts manufacture across the border from McCallen. She made more money per year than I make in 6 years, she left that job, much of that decision was based on safety.

I haven't but I have offered to do so. I've been to worse places in the world where there are no real roads and rode in trucks where they were made of wood. I would think with what others tell me, it is not as bad as other places I been to and I would do the same thing I would when I go into LA or NYC - be vigilant and watch myself.

By the way with all the crap going on in Nuevo Laredo and other parts of Mexico, how many US truck drivers have been hurt, robbed or killed?

A lot of the crime is tourists who are being robbed as they always have and locals with a few who want to buy cars and hang out at the car lots there.

Again you ignore my statement that American drivers going into Canada and their drivers coming here is probably pretty much a wash. It will not be that way with our southern border. Their will be a much higher percentage of Mexican drivers here than American there.

Didn't ignore it, just passed it over because the same holds true for any driver from any country. Yep there will be more Mexicans here because American drivers don't want to cross the border. The same reason why I see more Canadian drivers on the bridge going back to Canada than I do Americans going into Canada - they don't want to go there because of US customs hassles them.

Your seriously trying to compare crime in Canada or the states with that in Mexico? C'mon you can come up with a better argument than that.

NO I am saying crime happens anywhere and no place is really safe. Toronto I know has a high assault and robbery rate - equal to London. I also know Phoenix is the kidnapping capital of the country if not the world and I know that in Memphis while sitting at the Pilot with all of my brethren wathcing, I was broken into while I was in the sleeper watching them - by the way they were Russian.

Be in the wrong place at the wrong time and you end up a crime victim.

Is it going to wipe out the American trucking Industry, no. Is it going to cause a loss of freight and jobs for American workers, yes. Even if that loss is 1% right now that is to much.

If this is the best people can worry about, crap than I am in the wrong business. we are seeing 3 to 5% shift from truck to rail ever year and no one seems to be complaining about that. We have an excuse of a driver's shortage to allow people to drive from Eastern Europe and China to mention just a couple. A few I learned come in under the visa program because 'employers' claim they can't find Americans to do the work.

SO what is it, we worry about the few thousand truck drivers from Mexico with our 11,500,000 truck drivers on the road or do we worry about things we can change.

I care about all jobs, the one for the kid in High school, the one for someone with only a 12th grade education and all the rest of them. Just because a job doesn't work for me doesn't mean it isn't a good fit for another person and could make a difference in their life.

SO do I but I also realize that unless we change more important things, quality jobs are not going to be there. I explained a few times how this whole export/import money thing works and it seems no one gets it. Many are still delusional over building up a manufacturing base again and other see it as unfair when a company moves work off shore. NO one wants to tackle the real issues it seems.

Going back to Canada and the US, their pay scale and cost of living is more on Par with ours, cost of living is probably even more so reduces rates from Canadian drivers is not a fear. The cost of living and pay scale in Mexico is far lower than here so yes they can run cheaper in larger numbers than American drivers can.

SO fuel doesn't cost the same?

So truck insurance doesn't cost the same?

We are not talking about Juan's 1965 Ford produce truck but one that crosses the border and operates here under our rules. The cost of living has zero to do with that. The company in Mexico who wants to put a truck on our road (and there are many of them on our roads NOW) has to provide the same stuff as one who is an American here - from insurance to compliance.

I know people keep bringing the wage thing up, but I learned that those warehouse people who drive those forklifts in that enterprise zone on the border are not making anything close to minimum wage, they are making $14 plus an hour. Been to a few manufacturing plants there and they are making as much as my wife is, $16 an hour. So with the requirement of an employer in Mexico to provide a benefit package above the wage, I don't see the problem with a difference or think for a second that the rates will slide down so far they will barely operate legally.

There are a lot of tings wrong and not equal with this law. At this point in our economy it is one of the last things we need in our industry.

NO this is exactly what our industry needs, we are a lazy bunch of people who are fractured and if anything the idiots who kept silent about things because they are there just for the money may now speak up and do something like VOTE. If they lose their jobs, oh well I can't help that, they needed to be involved and not take for granted their job.

By the way this isn't a law, it is a treaty.

Mexico does not have nation wide cdl or drug testing programs. That was two things nafta required. La Hood went ahead and wants to start the program anyway. Relive me they will get by with things people here do not.

Actually they have a federal license program and they have a rather good drug/physical program. We asked them to enhance the system and if we had that system, a lot of us would not be driving - period.

They do have mobile drug labs and don't take the pee in the cup approach but actually stick you with a needle to take blood. A good and proper way to do it.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well...when you look at a map of Mexico and the proximity of the industrial areas....there is an expressway right to them...no reason to go into the towns nor get off the expressway....one shouldn't even have to fuel up...it is a direct route...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ah but there is - a foreign country is still a foreign country. It doesn't matter what you do, there is enough freight out there to be used somewhere else and to think that Laredo is the only game in town, seems to make me think that your carrier isn't doing their job.

It has nothing to do with my carrier, we are talking about Mexico and Laredo is the busiest commercial crossing on the southern border. It only makes sense to use that location as an example.

I haven't but I have offered to do so. I've been to worse places in the world where there are no real roads and rode in trucks where they were made of wood. I would think with what others tell me, it is not as bad as other places I been to and I would do the same thing I would when I go into LA or NYC - be vigilant and watch myself.

Smart move maybe you should head there tomorrow.

By the way with all the crap going on in Nuevo Laredo and other parts of Mexico, how many US truck drivers have been hurt, robbed or killed?

How many cross the border?

A lot of the crime is tourists who are being robbed as they always have and locals with a few who want to buy cars and hang out at the car lots there.

Keep trying to convince yourself how safe it is.

Didn't ignore it, just passed it over because the same holds true for any driver from any country. Yep there will be more Mexicans here because American drivers don't want to cross the border. The same reason why I see more Canadian drivers on the bridge going back to Canada than I do Americans going into Canada - they don't want to go there because of US customs hassles them.

Again there will be no comparison between the number of US drivers going into to Canada and those going to Mexico. Ignoring reality does not make something a fact.

NO I am saying crime happens anywhere and no place is really safe. Toronto I know has a high assault and robbery rate - equal to London. I also know Phoenix is the kidnapping capital of the country if not the world and I know that in Memphis while sitting at the Pilot with all of my brethren wathcing, I was broken into while I was in the sleeper watching them - by the way they were Russian.

Keep going your going to convince yourself yet, that is always better than admitting your wrong about something.

Be in the wrong place at the wrong time and you end up a crime victim.

Play Russian roulette with 3 bullets rather than one and the odds increase you kill yourself.

If this is the best people can worry about, crap than I am in the wrong business. we are seeing 3 to 5% shift from truck to rail ever year and no one seems to be complaining about that. We have an excuse of a driver's shortage to allow people to drive from Eastern Europe and China to mention just a couple. A few I learned come in under the visa program because 'employers' claim they can't find Americans to do the work.

SO what is it, we worry about the few thousand truck drivers from Mexico with our 11,500,000 truck drivers on the road or do we worry about things we can change.

We concern ourselves with all of them. The Mexico deal is not done congress can refuse to fund it.

SO do I but I also realize that unless we change more important things, quality jobs are not going to be there. I explained a few times how this whole export/import money thing works and it seems no one gets it. Many are still delusional over building up a manufacturing base again and other see it as unfair when a company moves work off shore. NO one wants to tackle the real issues it seems.

There are more quality jobs in the US than ever, or at least there was before the recent downturn haven't looked at the numbers lately. Those jobs are not for high school grads. It is a different place. Manufacturing would be great because not all will or can go to college bit it will be a long time if or before it returns.

SO fuel doesn't cost the same?

So truck insurance doesn't cost the same?

We are not talking about Juan's 1965 Ford produce truck but one that crosses the border and operates here under our rules. The cost of living has zero to do with that. The company in Mexico who wants to put a truck on our road (and there are many of them on our roads NOW) has to provide the same stuff as one who is an American here - from insurance to compliance
I know people keep bringing the wage thing up, but I learned that those warehouse people who drive those forklifts in that enterprise zone on the border are not making anything close to minimum wage, they are making $14 plus an hour. Been to a few manufacturing plants there and they are making as much as my wife is, $16 an hour. So with the requirement of an employer in Mexico to provide a benefit package above the wage, I don't see the problem with a difference or think for a second that the rates will slide down so far they will barely operate legally.

My sisters plant, in an enterprise zone on the Mexican side started workers at $1.25 per hour, they supplied parts to most major car manufactuers.. There is a huge discrepancy.

NO this is exactly what our industry needs, we are a lazy bunch of people who are fractured and if anything the idiots who kept silent about things because they are there just for the money may now speak up and do something like VOTE. If they lose their jobs, oh well I can't help that, they needed to be involved and not take for granted their job.

Wait I didn't think it was a problem or would cause job loss.

By the way this isn't a law, it is a treaty.

Actually they have a federal license program and they have a rather good drug/physical program. We asked them to enhance the system and if we had that system, a lot of us would not be driving - period.

They do have mobile drug labs and don't take the pee in the cup approach but actually stick you with a needle to take blood. A good and proper way to do it.

Yeap and it is not implemented or enforced. They have no nation wide tracking of drug tests. It doesn't matter what they claim to have it is reality.

Now excuse me while I go beat my head against the wall.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
It has nothing to do with my carrier, we are talking about Mexico and Laredo is the busiest commercial crossing on the southern border. It only makes sense to use that location as an example.

Smart move maybe you should head there tomorrow.

How many cross the border?

Keep trying to convince yourself how safe it is.

Again there will be no comparison between the number of US drivers going into to Canada and those going to Mexico. Ignoring reality does not make something a fact.

Keep going your going to convince yourself yet, that is always better than admitting your wrong about something.

Play Russian roulette with 3 bullets rather than one and the odds increase you kill yourself.

We concern ourselves with all of them. The Mexico deal is not done congress can refuse to fund it.

There are more quality jobs in the US than ever, or at least there was before the recent downturn haven't looked at the numbers lately. Those jobs are not for high school grads. It is a different place. Manufacturing would be great because not all will or can go to college bit it will be a long time if or before it returns.

My sisters plant, in an enterprise zone on the Mexican side started workers at $1.25 per hour, they supplied parts to most major car manufactuers.. There is a huge discrepancy.

Wait I didn't think it was a problem or would cause job loss.

Yeap and it is not implemented or enforced. They have no nation wide tracking of drug tests. It doesn't matter what they claim to have it is reality.

Now excuse me while I go beat my head against the wall.

Wow, now that was a lot of data, I dont know whether to suck my thumb or clean out my adult diaper. That was more confusing then a weekly reader paper from the 4th grade in 1958 IMHO. :D

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Wow the Mexican Expedited trucks are heavy looking ! And man they really secure the loads! Wonder if the truck has a quallcom?

armored-truck1.jpg

:cool::eek:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wow, now that was a lot of data, I dont know whether to suck my thumb or clean out my adult diaper. That was more confusing then a weekly reader paper from the 4th grade in 1958 IMHO. :D

The weekly reader, now that brings back good memories. :)

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The weekly reader, now that brings back good memories. :)

I loved the weekly reader, I always looked forward to it. I think it is something that gets kids interested in the news and to pay attention to the world outside.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I loved the weekly reader, I always looked forward to it. I think it is something that gets kids interested in the news and to pay attention to the world outside.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Well I'll be,,didnt think anyone knew the WReader.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well I'll be,,didnt think anyone knew the WReader.

Most of use "older" people grew up with the Weekly Reader. I have NO idea about today's kids. With so many out there today who are unable to read it would not surprise me to find out that it no longer exists or has been cut out due to the cost.