It never stops amazing me...

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Not really sure where anyone sees me as an elitist in this. I don’t think age of a vehicle is incredibly relevant. I have seen 3 year old trucks that are garbage and ten year old trucks that are great. That really comes down to maintenance and upkeep. Keeping a truck in proper operating condition is a must no matter what the age. As far as appearance I think it’s really the same and reflects on our industry. You can buy a couple cans of graffiti spray paint remover and clean that up if you actually cared. I have had our trailers vandalized before...would I leave them like that...no way. Hell I am getting old, but have to be maintained, LOL.

Sent from my iPad using EO Forums

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Vehicles 10,000 pounds or less do not require a DOT number (unless they haul hazardous material which requires placards).
Vans (yes are required) by Road Runner Exp to have DOT numbers along with company Logo on them. Installed signage at orientation and are required left on while leased to them . Of course if you Don't believe me , feel free to call Tammy in Safety Dept... Monday through Thursday..

Sent from my SM-G955U using EO Forums mobile app

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Vans (yes are required) by Road Runner Exp to have DOT numbers along with company Logo on them. Installed signage at orientation and are required left on while leased to them . Of course if you Don't believe me , feel free to call Tammy in Safety Dept... Monday through Thursday..

I think only big companies and few small ones use their DOT# or MC#s nowadays.
Some use magnets, but it's not required by DOT. I wish there was a law if you are hauling anything for commercial purposes, regardless of your size, weight to have decals, as much as I am against government intervention.
May not be a solution for everything, but some things might improve if companies thought twice before giving their numbers to nobody to put on their vehicles.

"Amazing Grace, half-decent rates..."

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

It's more professional to have decals and logo, but I doubt it's due to the DOT regulations.
Had to have logos myself too when I was at AAMC (predecessor of RRE).
Tammy still works there? Nice lady, say hi from me(Unit 2013), if you see/talk to her.

Last edited:
Reactions: ntimevan

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Some use magnets, but it's not required by DOT. I wish there was a law if you are hauling anything for commercial purposes, regardless of your size, weight to have decals, as much as I am against government intervention.
May not be a solution for everything, but some things might improve if companies thought twice before giving their numbers to nobody to put on their vehicles.

It's more professional to have decals and logo, but I doubt it's due to the DOT regulations.

DOT # on a van required by DOT ... nope
Required by RRE /Active Aero

I just recently took pictures of 2 RRE leased on vans that had removed MC# numbers
VIN # numbers
US DOT # numbers
and Van numbers off of their Vans .. and sent pictures into Safety Dept ..
RRE Safety Dept. contacted van drivers and gave them 48 hours to put DOT # and Van # back on at their cost and send current picture into safety or their lease would immediately be Terminated..

I wish all companies had the Nerve to require this on their leased vans ..

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

DOT # on a van required by DOT ... nope
Required by RRE /Active Aero

I just recently took pictures of 2 RRE leased on vans that had removed MC# numbers
VIN # numbers
US DOT # numbers
and Van numbers off of their Vans .. and sent pictures into Safety Dept ..
RRE Safety Dept. contacted van drivers and gave them 48 hours to put DOT # and Van # back on at their cost and send current picture into safety or their lease would immediately be Terminated..

I wish all companies had the Nerve to require this on their leased vans ..

tenor.gif

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don’t think age of a vehicle is incredibly relevant. I have seen 3 year old trucks that are garbage and ten year old trucks that are great. That really comes down to maintenance and upkeep. Keeping a truck in proper operating condition is a must no matter what the age. As far as appearance I think it’s really the same and reflects on our industry.
I recall a beautiful 2004 Chevrolet Express in your fleet that had over 900,000 miles on the original motor and drivetrain.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Reactions: RedBird

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There's another carrier that has one of the ProMasters with the 2nd floor bedroom. I saw it at the Pilot in Burns Harbor last week.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Wow, this is what having a 5,000 mile week is like. I never saw this post until the fireworks we're over.

I am an O/O for a small carrier that I won't name because it's secret . We drive un-wrapped vehicles which is perfectly fine because our fleet is all under 10,001 GVW. That being said we are ALL legal and properly insured. We often carry freight for some of the big guys and I don't think it bothers them that we have no signage. But, Ntimevan is correct, it does keep us from having access to Active and others. It's a trade-off that works for me.

Ms. Xmuddy, you are correct - why would anyone intentionally OVER load their truck? Answer: because they can!.

Oh yeah, plus I'm old and live in a "old folks" community that doesn't allow signage on vehicles.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I believe you. Panther, Load One, lots of carriers require the display of the carrier's DOT number on vans, and require lots of other things that the DOT does not require.

Unless a cargo van is a CMV (carrying 9 passengers for compensation, hauling placarded HAZMAT), there's really no reason to have the carrier's DOT displayed on the doors, other than uniformity across the fleet, instant identification, and it looks a little more professional.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I recall a beautiful 2004 Chevrolet Express in your fleet that had over 900,000 miles on the original motor and drivetrain.

I rode in the back of said unit once...like I was freight. But it was dark and cold...and very quickly I felt like I was in a deleted scene from Fargo.

Reactions: Moot and RoadTime