It never stops amazing me...

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
One of your units rolls into a customer to see this truck waiting to load. No door signs of any kind. No DOT numbers of any kind. Tandem axle but yet they put decals on saying under 10,000 pounds so they can try and avoid going through scales and having to log as required by law. Does anyone think after all that they are carrying proper insurance? So driver asks our customer if they are really going to load it...Yes they say, it is the customer (a major automotive manufacturer) who arranges and pays for the freight and gets their loads covered on a bid board. Does anyone ever stop and local at the cost associated with the risk of running illegal units like this and how they put their companies at risk and open themselves up to liability and wrongful hiring lawsuits? #insurance #expedite #load1 #loadone #illegal

31890908_10214552291934096_8554675023623749632_n.jpg

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Unfortunately, you join the many that have beat this dead horse.

Stay safe
KG

Actually, I disagree. Load One is big enough for John to be able to find a listening ear somewhere. A friendly local congressperson, a State Police section chief, somebody who can move and shake things or who knows someone who can.

Since the vast majority of dually trucks, cutaways, etc gross over 10k, it would be logical for states to start requiring all vehicles with six or more wheels & tires to scale, regardless of the number of axles a given vehicle has.

It doesn’t matter worth spit what the ethnicity of the driver is; what matters is that EVERYONE plays fair!

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Then they'll take two wheels off and continue skipping scales.

Except that every cop knows that a cutaway with clearance lights that’s 96” across, is 99% likely to be a six wheeler. Take two wheels off? That’s called trying to get away with breaking the law and being so obvious as to be stupid about it. Cops hate that worse than stale donuts

Reactions: ntimevan

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes , this Dead Horse has been beat .
But it continues to be a thorn in the Cargo Van/Sprinter section of our business.
Whether its a Yellow cube Dually marked 10,000 lbs GVW on the door hauling more than 2500 lbs or a Sprinter SRW 170" or longer hauling more than 3000 lbs or a Transit SRW 3500 hauling more than 3,500 lbs or a Promaster 3500 hauling more than 3,500 lbs , You are ALL HAULING ILLEGAL if you are exceeding these load limits .
To many people are pointing fingers at others instead of taking care of these problems inhouse first , meaning Companies Leasing on Vans expecting them to haul overweight for them even though they are properly insured and licensed .. ITS STILL ATTEMPTING TO HAUL OVERWEIGHT FREIGHT .
So be careful what you wish for if your backyard has trash in it , i suggest you don't turn your neighbors in for Littering..

Sent from my SM-G955U using EO Forums mobile app

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What kills me about it is that the dirty deeds (running overweight) are done dirt cheap.

Reactions: ntimevan

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Agreed when a carrier knowingly tries to overload a vehicle. The horse isn’t dead. I continue to talk to shippers and companies all the time about this. Giving up is easy. Easy is not the route we take.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A very good friend hauled trucks with me out of GM in Flint until GM dropped the Medium Duty business.
90% of the loads we hauled were illegal in Michigan as they hung off the back of our 53’ dropdecks.
We were union, so the company paid the tickets, but as O/O’s we wanted to avoid any interaction with the officers. This prompted some to leave under cover of darkness or alter routes.
This went on for years.
My friend, Rex Wheeler, got his own authority and in 8 years has grown to be the largest wheels off ground truck hauler in the country.
He kept the company in Michigan and approached his Congressman about the outdated law.
Although the head off the state police said the law will not be changed, Rex and his congressman got it changed so that Rex could do things legally.
If you have a Transit, he handled it’s shipment out of KC. He also is doing Promaster, Pete’s out of Canada, the 650 Fords out of Ohio, and the new GM stuff being built in Springfield Oh.
Load One has got to bigger, more powerful than Rex.
Maybe John needs to golf with more politicians.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
...or a Sprinter SRW 170" or longer hauling more than 3000 lbs or a Transit SRW 3500 hauling more than 3,500 lbs or a Promaster 3500 hauling more than 3,500 lbs , You are ALL HAULING ILLEGAL if you are exceeding these load limits .
Incorrect. It would seem to make sense, logically, but no. There are no state laws prohibiting any non-CMV of exceeding the GVWR of the vehicle.

For example, my GVWR is 8,550 pounds. If my empty weight is 6,000 pounds and I load 3,000 pounds of freight on board, that means I weigh 9,000 pounds. That's 450 pounds overweight, but it's not illegal in any state.

There are state and federal laws that prohibit exceeding the GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) and the weight rating of an individual tire, though.

Reactions: Moot

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I like the idea of weighing all six wheel vehicles.
If you can’t get them on weight, once they exceed 10,000 lbs, you can check insurance, logbook, etc. Give them enough grief to think twice about it.
It’s not all that hard to dodge fixed scales.
I really like the idea of weighing all vehicles hauling cargo for commercial purposes.
It’s a safety thing.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I really like the idea of weighing all vehicles hauling cargo for commercial purposes.
It’s a safety thing.
Except the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, who keeps track of these things, says vehicles hauling property for commercial purposes pose no more of a safety risk than any other van, SUV, pickup truck or car. In fact, it's a little less than the average passenger vehicle. The FMCSA regulates heavy trucks and buses, because once the vehicle weighs more than a certain weight, or carries more than a certain number of people, it begins to pose a greater risk. Below those numbers and the risk is the same as any other unregulated vehicle, and requiring vehicles that haul freight to weigh wouldn't change anything.

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why you always got to shoot down peoples arguments with facts ?

We’re truck drivers. We don’t deal with facts .
If anything, we deal in "superficial and made-up expediting world", way different than rest if the industry works with.

"Amazing Grace, half-decent rates..."

Reactions: Turtle