Is Flying J now 50 gallons for free shower?

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I was at the J & got 30 gallons of gas. I went in to get my shower ticket & the gal said that I had 1/2 shower. I asked about the 30 gallons & she said it was took 50, & that 30 would get me a half shower.

She also said 2 half showers doesn't equal 1 full shower. I had always thought 1/2 twice = 1. She went on to explain that 2 half showers meant that you couldn't combine tickets. You basically got a 1/2 shower & would have to pay $5 per shower.

This was my first time getting fuel at the J in awhile. Does the information I was given sound about right?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Are you driving a diesel CV and if so did you fuel at the "back" or big truck pumps??? Because what you are talking about IS the Diesel Fuel program.....

I just called 2 flying J's and spoke to the managers, the GAS program is still 30 gallons gets you a free shower and if you buy 15-25 gallons, you get a half credit and you CAN combine 2 1/2 credits to get a free shower...but rememeber those credits expire also.. i have 6 half credits on my account, 3 will expire on the 8th of this month, the others expire on the 10th and the 11th. You can check your credits online at the "J" website, just register your Card number.....

Sounds like someone got you on the big truck diesel program....

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I'm in a gasser. The kicker is at the previous stop I had only got $24.00 in gas.. different station.. a touch under 9 gallons.. so I'd need 30 gallons by time I got to the J a few hundred miles down the road. I needed 30.888 gallons at the J & gotta fess up I was feeling kind of good about my calculations.

I'm ok w/ em expiring. I just didn't realize it was a 50 gallon rewards program, which I guess it's not. I'll have to check into that the next time. Thanks for the help.

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
Web site says:

With every minimum 50-gallon fuel purchase members receive:

* Free shower and fountain drink with a minimum fuel purchase of 50 gallons or more at Flying J locations (fuel purchases between 15-49 gallons receive ½ shower point and ½ drink point which will automatically be credited to your account)

Frequent Fueler Club (877) 787-3595

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't like dropping below 1/2 tank much so I fill up just below the 1/2 mark and that's about 16-17 gal. which is 1/2 shower and 1/2 drink credit. I've never had a problem with the 1/2 credits being usable 2 at a time for shower or drink.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep, like others, never had a problem. 1/2 shower per 15 gallons min. I wonder, did you try the showerdohicky in the back?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
once wrote:

With every minimum 50-gallon fuel purchase members receive:

* Free shower and fountain drink with a minimum fuel purchase of 50 gallons or more at Flying J locations (fuel purchases between 15-49 gallons receive ½ shower point and ½ drink point which will automatically be credited to your account)

The key word is Fuel....it sayes nothing about Gasoline.....

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I don't like dropping below 1/2 tank much so I fill up just below the 1/2 mark and that's about 16-17 gal. which is 1/2 shower and 1/2 drink credit. I've never had a problem with the 1/2 credits being usable 2 at a time for shower or drink.

Is the drink a fountain drink like soda or coffee? Or can it be used to buy a bottle of soda/can or juice that kind of thing?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They have a special red cup for you although once in a while they run out and give you a regular cup. It would be nice if it included an option for something from the cooler even if you had to toss in fifty cents to get a V8 or something.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Yeap as Leo said, they have a special Red "Drivers" cup that is printed with that on it and they are normally behind the counter and given to you when you give them your card and ask for a "Drivers cup"....then you can fill it with whatever soda or "regular coffee" (no expresso or other specility coffees, but i am sure no one would say a thing if you took one of them) you want at the fountain. I have gotten a slushy thing from time to time without it being an issue.....

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
we checked recently and we had 9 half showers. never fuel more than 3/4 of a tank. never made 30 gal. recently i pushed to within 1/8 of a tank and fueled 26 gal at pilot which was good for my cash advance. never gonna get to the 30 gal mark. just to dangerous getting left on the side of the road.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I have never put 30 gallons in my van, 28 a few times, but never 30...and i always conbine 2 half credit and never have paid for a shower, unless i have come off of being out of service and they expired and i had no credits or only a 1/2 of one....then i have paid for a half a shower or $5 bucks...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
OK, for a gasser, or a diesel at the car/RV pumps with the "Frequent Fueler Card" program, each 15 gallon purchase gets you half a shower credit. It's that simple, no further calculations required.

A 14 gallon purchase gets you nothing, and doesn't count towards anything. A nine gallon purchase followed by a 21 gallon purchase counts as a single 15 gallon purchase. It's not about 30 gallons, unless you have a single thirty gallon gasoline purchase. It's all about buying fuel in 15 gallon chunks.

The way to "work it" is, whenever you pass by a Flying J and can fit 15 gallons into your tank, stop and do just that. Each 15 gallon purchase gets you half a shower credit and half a drink cup credit. Each half-credit expires after one week, at midnight Mountain Time. You can combine two half shower credits into a free shower, and combine two half drink cup credits into a free drink cup.

It's much like the loyalty program at Autozone, where each $20 purchase gets you one point, and once you reach 5 points you get a $20 credit. If you have a single purchase of less-than $20, it counts towards nothing. If you go in and spend $100, it counts as a single $20 purchase. That's why those of us with Sprinters who buy the $7 oil at Autozone do so three quarts at a time, since three quarts gives us a single $20 purchase. A gallon of Power Service and one quart of oil also gets you one $20 purchase. I recently bought windshield wipers, Rain-X at $20.99 per blade. I bought the 24" driver's side blade at one store, and the 22" passenger side blade at another store on the same day, two separate $20 purchases gives 2 points. If I had bought both at the same time it would have counted as a single $20 purchase and given me only a single point.

I'll usually go in and grab three quarts whenever I pass by an Autozone, but sometimes I'll forget, and I end up needing to get 10 quarts at the same time for an oil change. Last week on the same day I grabbed three quarts in Winnemucca, three in Sparks, three in Reno. Three separate purchases that gave me 3 points.

These loyalty programs are presented in a manner which, if you understand them, you can work them to your advantage.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Another advantage to buying 15 gallons at a time is maximizing your "discount" per gallon via shower money. That half shower is $5 so you are getting a $5 discount on whatever amount of gasoline you buy. If you buy 15 gallons that's 33 cents a gallon discount. If you buy 20 gallons it's 25 cents a gallon discount. I'd rather save 33 cents a gallon than any lesser amount.

If you are going to be out for an extended period and will use the showers that improves your bottom line. The same for the drink although I don't know what exact value it has, probably something like $1.50 or so. Those are the main reasons I buy 15 gallons at a time but also I know if I get some bad gasoline it's no more than 15 gallons and not the 26-28 or so I could buy if I ran down to the 1/8 tank mark.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can also use 2 half drink credits on a refill. I buy the large fountain soda and make sure they put the yellow tape on it. When its empty you can refill it hand them your card and tell them you want to use your credits for the refill.

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
once wrote:

The key word is Fuel....it sayes nothing about Gasoline.....

Contrary to popular belief Gasoline is FUEL, as is Diesel. You can FUEL up any type of vehicle. FUEL is what makes it run, be it gas, diesel, butane, or even electricity.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Turtle said:
I recently bought windshield wipers, Rain-X at $20.99 per blade. I bought the 24" driver's side blade at one store, and the 22" passenger side blade at another store on the same day
So my question is, are they worth the extra money?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So my question is, are they worth the extra money?
I dunno. It might just be me, but the Sprinter windshield seems to be very hard on wiper blades, where the blades become worn out and nearly useless after just 2 or 3 months. The Rain-X blades seem to last longer than the others I've tried. Regardless of how long they last, though, they work well, cling to the glass, and wipe the water away.

The Michelin Symphony blades, for my Sprinter at least, were worse than useless, leaving an up-wiped swath right in front of my eyes. And that flexible arm that's supposed to be so good in snow became frozen and very inflexible when it got cold with a little ice on them, to the point where only the tips of either end would touch the windshield, and the other 22-odd inches rode just slightly above the glass. It was like having no blades at all. Even if the Rain-X blades only last two months, as long as they give me a clear view while they last, that's all I'm after. The Michelins were crap from Day-One.

I've heard others rave about the Michelins. YMMV.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Mt son swears by the Rain-X blades, but he also thinks Ford pick-ups are great. :mad:I just don't know where I went wrong. :eek: