is expediting only use of cargo vans?

DebraG

Rookie Expediter
I have done quite a bit of checking regarding cargo vans and I haven't found a lot of info on this. I apologize if it's there and I've missed it and, I'd be grateful if you'd point me in the right direction. I've seen quite a few references to retirees driving cargo vans on a more casual basis to supplement their income and travel the country but I haven't been able to find a lot of first hand accounts or tips on doing it.

I'm not talking about a leisurely Sunday drive pace, but also not 10 hours straight; don't even stop to pee. From what I've read, it looks like the shorter lower money, more deadhead trips may be more available. Is that right? I know it's about roughing it and being a bit of a vagabond; and I know the hours are long.

Are cargo vans used for any other hauling besides expediting; or are there enough few hundred mile expediting trips out there to keep busy? I'm flexible and can be on the road for a few weeks at a time but I wouldn't mind dead heading or waiting a day or two in between loads if I sort of hop scotched around the country. I have a passport, so I could go into Canada. It looks like people don't care for that either. Is that because the processing takes longer?

I appreciate the caliber of wisdom and experience you offer - and the patience you show for the newbies.

Also, I haven't been able to find anything much about RIverside Logisitics out of MN. Anybody know anything about them? THey have positions open for class d, provide truck, gas, tolls, etc. so it seems like a good place to start.

Highlander

Rookie Expediter
Hi Debra,

I hope you get some good feed back on this. I have also been looking around the site but have not found a lot of helpful information or at least not direct answers.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Are cargo vans used for any other hauling besides expediting?
Cargo vans are used in lots of other capacities other than expediting. You pass them every day on every street in every city.

Also, I haven't been able to find anything much about RIverside Logisitics out of MN. Anybody know anything about them? THey have positions open for class d, provide truck, gas, tolls, etc. so it seems like a good place to start.
Perhaps this link will help

Riverside US Air | Expedited Air Freight and Cargo Shipping

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
try looking out at airport in what ever city you live in there are companies haul air freight
also ceva is around alot of airport close to

DRIVERDUDE

Seasoned Expediter
Most local courier companies are always looking for cargo vans especially if they have a lot of route work. Home every night.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most local courier companies are always looking for cargo vans especially if they have a lot of route work. Home every night.

I was just gonna say that. Before I got into expediting/hotshot, I did courier work. Load up at the terminal in the morning-- office supplies, liquor-- believe it or not-- and pharmaceuticals, also some hardware (like, construction hardware). Take all day unloading the van on a way-too-long route, then head either to the terminal or home depending on whether you had any returns.
I note that the company I did courier work for has an ad in Craigslist every day for vehicles of all sizes. Yeah, it's something of a revolving door over that way.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Greetings Debra. Are you looking to own and operate a cargo van as an independent contractor or drive one as an employee?

I live about 20 miles from Rogers, MN where River Side Logistics is located. I know nothing about the company other than what I found on SAFER and seeing one of their vans, a ProMaster parked at the Wally World in Ankeny, IA.

You may also want to check out Straight Shot Express:Straight Shot Express

SAFER info for River Side Logistics:
https://safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/query.asp?searchtype=ANY&query_type=queryCarrierSnapshot&query_param=USDOT&original_query_param=NAME&query_string=1661035&original_query_string=RIVER%20SIDE%20LOGISTICS%20LLC

fr8hlr521

Active Expediter
Greetings Debra. Are you looking to own and operate a cargo van as an independent contractor or drive one as an employee?

I live about 20 miles from Rogers, MN where River Side Logistics is located. I know nothing about the company other than what I found on SAFER and seeing one of their vans, a ProMaster parked at the Wally World in Ankeny, IA.

You may also want to check out Straight Shot Express:Straight Shot Express

SAFER info for River Side Logistics:
https://safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/query.asp?searchtype=ANY&query_type=queryCarrierSnapshot&query_param=USDOT&original_query_param=NAME&query_string=1661035&original_query_string=RIVER%20SIDE%20LOGISTICS%20LLC

We must be neighbors...we are in Champlin when not out here.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For real? That's the name of a town? :eek:

Not exactly, why? You sound (read) shocked and surprised. The real name is Coon Rapids. The city is a post war suburb named after the rapids where the Coon Creek meets the Mississippi River. Coon Creek got its name way back in the Red River ox cart days because of the abundance of racoons in the area. The Red River Trail was once a major trade route connecting Minneapolis/St. Paul with points north and west and ending in Winnipeg.

At one time we had a white city council member that lead a small, ineffective initiative to change the city's name to River Rapids. He felt that the name coon was somehow derogatory and racist. Who is the real racist that could even make this kind of connection? This :censoredsign: didn't get re-elected and no longer resides in the state and the city is still named Coon Rapids, but is sometimes referred to as Coon Town. The city logo sports a raccoon.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not exactly, why? You sound (read) shocked and surprised. The real name is Coon Rapids. The city is a post war suburb named after the rapids where the Coon Creek meets the Mississippi River. Coon Creek got its name way back in the Red River ox cart days because of the abundance of racoons in the area. The Red River Trail was once a major trade route connecting Minneapolis/St. Paul with points north and west and ending in Winnipeg.

At one time we had a white city council member that lead a small, ineffective initiative to change the city's name to River Rapids. He felt that the name coon was somehow derogatory and racist. Who is the real racist that could even make this kind of connection? This :censoredsign: didn't get re-elected and no longer resides in the state and the city is still named Coon Rapids, but is sometimes referred to as Coon Town. The city logo sports a raccoon.
It just kind of surprises me, in this day and age of political correctness.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, political correctness way out of control. Note the raccoon in the upper left corner of the city's logo.

CoonTownCityLogo_zpsa4532df4.jpg

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Before? Were you looking for Al Jolson in blackface before? Swaaaneee!
AlJolsonCoonRapids_zps00892222.png

My laptop isn't safe with you in the world: just spit my drink all over it again, lol.
Somehow, I never thought it meant anything but a raccoon, but now I'll always think you live in "My dear old Swaaanneee". Like Rockfish, I think it's permanent.

DebraG

Rookie Expediter
Thanks for the info everybody. I am looking for a position with a company truck. Riverside mentioned that in their ad on CL. It looks like a much more sensible way to try it out rather than investing in a truck of my own. Most courier jobs - actually most van jobs I've seen only want owner/operators. I'm also not sure what the future may be for cargo vans. One of the only articles I found was from 2003, updated in 2006, saying they were on the way out. My thought was that if companies are maybe buying less inventory at a time and vans being more nimble they would have their place, but I don't have the whole story. I would love to hear from some folks who actually do this. I hear a lot of people do, but I don't see any blogs or any references to cargo van drivers that do it more casually.

If someone could comment on my assumptions in this paragraph, I would appreciate it. I've read there's some resentment from full timers who have to compete with part time drivers out there but I thought the type of runs I'd be interested in aren't what full time drivers want. . like to an out of the way place and having to drive empty to the next thing or wait a day or two or whatever. .
Are cargo vans used for any other hauling besides expediting; or are there enough few hundred mile expediting trips out there to keep busy? I'm flexible and can be on the road for a few weeks at a time but I wouldn't mind dead heading or waiting a day or two in between loads if I sort of hop scotched around the country. I have a passport, so I could go into Canada. It looks like people don't care for that either. Is that because the processing takes longer?

I know I don't have all of the trucking terms down yet, and I may be way off base with my thinking, so I appreciate any insights. I actually don't even know all the ins and outs of posting either .. so again I appreciate your patience!