Is a spotlight legal?

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think sherri has a good idea I might pick one up. Keep in mind that with most vehicals now you cant adjust the headlights without an expensive headlight aiming rig if they are adjustable at all.
and ofcorse, the trailer people that dont have the suspension suited for the job.

Yes there are some douche drivers that dont have any courtousy but somtimes the lights are only good for jacklighting deer on the left shoulder or finding racoons in trees. Thats why I somtimes wish that four wheelers were held to the same if not higher standards an trucks. Iknow, I know, be carefull what you wish for.

Bob Wolf.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It seems to be a lot worse in the last year or two. I think its not always lack of dimmer switch as much as these brighter bulbs that are on the market. It is very annoying!

I agree with the brighter bulbs part, Seems like I was always having people flash their lights at me thinking I was running brights when I wasn't. A lot of those newer ones are really bright.

Last edited:

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Years ago, when CB was almost constantly in use by most drivers, I heard an ol' boy say "ya know what i do when one of them four-wheelers gets on my nerves, well, i keep a fresh bag of marshmallows and i slow down so they come around, and i lob three-four marshmallows out the window and usually one of 'em hits their windshield, and lemme tell ya when a marshmallow hits a windshield at 70mph it splatters to the size of a reg-u-lation basketball, and a'course them fourwheelers automatically hit the wipers which a'course makes it a royal mess and they can't see s***"

Entertaining as it was just to hear him tell stories, he got the most royal reaming I ever heard on the radio from other drivers about a whole host of things. . .

I realized reading this thread how often I just put my left hand up to intercept the brights of someone behind me reflecting in my mirror, and have been doing it for so long it's just habit. I agree the new xenon or halogen or whatever bulbs can be annoying as all get out, coming at you from in front or behind. All part of being a driver.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree with ya 21cExp
Only unprofessional morons throw things out the window or shine spot lights at other vehicals.
i just slow down and let them pass remember that the anti truck bunch loves to this type of crap. for every one douche driver that dose this it ruins the reputation of all of us professionals. If a quick flash of your lights dosent get the piont let them pass, or push out the mirror put on your big kid undies and drive on.

Bob Wolf

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
I found that after having cataract surgery, not nearly as many vehicles drive with their brights on.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I heard some drivers used to carry a box of bebes with them and just toss a handfull of them right out the window when four wheelers tailgate them. But back to the topic at hand it seems that every night time run I have ever gotten there was that one car way off in the distance with just one working headlight. You know the one working headlight that is just a high beam. I would try to go faster to get away from it and the car would speed up then when I would try and slow down to get it to pass it would drop way back in the distance. Am I crazy? lol

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
I heard some drivers used to carry a box of bebes with them and just toss a handfull of them right out the window when four wheelers tailgate them. But back to the topic at hand it seems that every night time run I have ever gotten there was that one car way off in the distance with just one working headlight. You know the one working headlight that is just a high beam. I would try to go faster to get away from it and the car would speed up then when I would try and slow down to get it to pass it would drop way back in the distance. Am I crazy? lol

As for just slowing down and they will pass you all i have to say is HA heck i have slowed down to 20mph and the moron will stay behind me thinking there is something in the road

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I thought there were dot regulations on lighting ,are all these xenon and super bright headlight lamps legal in with in these guidelines? If so then why are all vehicles not quipped as standard equipment ? I'd love to stop and bash out some headlights on some occasions they are so bright.

OldGuy

Active Expediter
This is kind of fitting here.

Any of you guys have a 4'er try and draft off of your rig? Like a race car, but I assume they do it to save a few mpg. Do ya'll let them or?...

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
This is kind of fitting here.

Any of you guys have a 4'er try and draft off of your rig? Like a race car, but I assume they do it to save a few mpg. Do ya'll let them or?...
NO...no way. Those idiots are even harder to get rid of. Whats going to happen if a deer runs out in front of you? Or any other of dozens of hazards that may cause you to hit the brakes?

Just slow down and keep slowing down until they pass. Ive went as far as hitting the emergency flashers and taking the shoulder to finally get 'em to pass me. I would not advise you to actually stop on the shoulder and if they were to follow you to the shoulder....get out of there and call 911 (never had it happen....but just a caution).

I did have one that was especially stubborn and would just get right back behind me after I picked my speed back up. They finally left me alone. If I had that one as a do-over, I would call the state police and do my best to lead the idiot right to 'em.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
What we need is a smal LED sign message board that attaches to the back of a truck or trailer and sends a clear message, DIM YOUR LIGHTS A-HOLE...well maybe it wouldnt include curse words but it could be used for so many warnings also. Tailgating is dangerous....flashing in orange lights after a few miles Id bet they go around...or warning your lights are too bright BRIGHT BRIGHT BRIGHT...This kind of message board is cheap and somebodys going to make one soon enuff...a small keyboard, and a wireless transmitter, weatherproof clamped on the rear of a truck, programmed with several stock messages.....WIDE TURNS....PREPARE TO STOP......CAUTION AHEAD....or type your own....Use your imagination...but the repeating sign would be hard to ignore.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Install 2 bright "back up lights" with a toggle switch. Then you could flash them a couple of times. They would also be good for backing up. :)

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have been able most of the time to position my truck in the lane so that the hotspot is hittng the box box and not the mirrors. with oncoming traffic on a 2 lane if the car has brights on I put my hand up to where it just covers the headlights to keep my retina's from going crazy

OldGuy

Active Expediter
I told an electrical engineering buddy about your idea for a tractor specific message board that can change messages with a remote. Hasn't gotten back to me yet, but I'm sure he's interested in making a few bucks ;).

Brisco

Expert Expediter
I told an electrical engineering buddy about your idea for a tractor specific message board that can change messages with a remote. Hasn't gotten back to me yet, but I'm sure he's interested in making a few bucks ;).

Well......tell 'em to forget about it and NO, ya'll aren't about to become overnight Millionaires......:)

Message Boards for "Automobiles" have been out for Years.

Here's an Example of one:

Red 12V Car LED Programmable Message Sign Scrolling Display Board with remote

Have a friend who put one on the back of his Dodge Pick-Up. He used to send all sorts of Nasty Messages to people who were following to close.......had their brights on.....etc. Never changed a thing....................